The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Right tim stoke game saturday at HOME so none of this containment get into them and attack. International break after its better to have won than have fans on your back i want to see this team start with no gabby do the right thing for once.

Guzan

Hutton  richards   clark   amavi

Gana    sanchez

Gil                 veretout        grealish

Gestede

Subs

Kozak

Westwood

Lescott

Bacuna

Ayew

Bunn

Traore

Edited by villan501
  • Like 2

Regarding that Post match interview, that's how my 10yr old lad acts when we lose. Some people will laude that as passion, I just think it's childish, not what I want or expect from a highly paid professional football Manager.

I cant have a go at him for that and have to defend him for it,  it's how I react as well and I've long been saying that those professionals in the game have lost touch with the supporters and just go back to their mansions and glamour model wives after a game (win , lose or draw) and are over it a lot quicker than the fans,  that we feel it more.  So I can't knock him for being so down after a defeat

• Like 2

Regarding that Post match interview, that's how my 10yr old lad acts when we lose. Some people will laude that as passion, I just think it's childish, not what I want or expect from a highly paid professional football Manager.

I cant have a go at him for that and have to defend him for it,  it's how I react as well and I've long been saying that those professionals in the game have lost touch with the supporters and just go back to their mansions and glamour model wives after a game (win , lose or draw) and are over it a lot quicker than the fans,  that we feel it more.  So I can't knock him for being so down after a defeat

I get all that, but something about him just doesn't don't sit right when I watch those interviews. I'm not really sure how to articulate it, but its almost feels fake.

I'm sure the majority of Manager's hurt when they lose a game, even if its for selfish reasons rather than any attachment to the club, but I've never before seen a Manager close to tears every time they lose. Yes its probably how us fans react but we are not paid to manage a football club. He is paid to lead, those (interviews) are not the actions of a leader in my humble opinion .

He is paid to lead, those (interviews) are not the actions of a leader in my humble opinion .

Agree. A manager needs to keep his cool, not get too down when we lose and not get ahead of himself when we win. A manager can't react the way a fan does. He has to show leadership and Sherwood doesn't do this at all. He takes credit for the good things and blames the players for the bad.

I find it very laughable that footballers on 40k a week are so emotionally weak that they cant take a bit of public criticism from their boss. Worst part is people actually defend them instead of the manager

I find it laughable that people underestimate man management so much.

It's nothing to do with emotion most of the time. It's the desire to play for a manager who slates you in public. (that's not a comment on sherwood, I'm talking in general now)

Citing money as a reason why that shouldn't effect players is lazy.

Indeed, for someone whose apparent strength is 'man management' he's shown himself to be shocking.

Would you tell an employee who worked for you that he's a 'loser' before an important client meeting? I don't think so. So why would Tactics Tim do something similar prior to an FA Cup final. 

As a player, if your manager slates you in public, then you have every incentive to not play well for him, on account of him being a word removed. 

Right tim stoke game saturday at HOME so none of this containment get into them and attack. International break after its better to have won than have fans on your back i want to see this team start with no gabby do the right thing for once.

Guzan

Gana    sanchez

Gestede

Subs

Kozak

Westwood

Lescott

Bacuna

Ayew

Bunn

Traore

drop grealish for traore

Guzan

Gana    sanchez

Gestede

Subs

Kozak

Westwood

Lescott

Bacuna

Ayew

Bunn

Traore

drop grealish for traore

Not sure that would work. Don't see Traore as the cutting inside type (if he was to play on the left) and if we swapped Gil to the left, don't think he has the pace to go on the outside regularly.

Edited by Tom13

They say Tim Sherwood, does not know his best team

I don't think any of us do.

I don't think Sherwood knows the difference between his arse and his elbow tbh

He talks a good game it's a shame it doesn't translate to performances on the pitch

Judging by the posts I have read, I think the majority of posters on this site, in my opinion of course, have a better idea of our best team than he does, and that has to be a worry.

Right now, I would think that the mental approach to the next game is as important as the technical approach.....I would doubt that any fan would know the players intimately enough to make that judgment.....There is more to this game than just kicking a football in a straight line.

Tim Sherwood knows whats wrong, as some of we do......Its how to put it right is the tricky bit.....and I don't mind admitting, I wouldn't have a clue.

Better choices for the starting lineup, better choice of substitutions and when they should occur - that would be a start.

you're right........but that is a matter of opinion of who is chosen....we would all have different choices.

Well i think what he did at the end of last season was remarkable given the players available to him. For that reason i will give him until mid December before i start calling for his head, and I am confident that i won't be calling for it then either.

Results have gone against us, the team are still gelling, and we've had injuries to the best two signings so far. We haven't had much luck, but flukey win and things suddenly look ok again, the margins are that tight.

Breathe everyone.

I think it's remarkable he managed to finish below John Carver's Newacastle.

• Like 3

The players available to him weren't that bad. He had two England midfielders in Delph and Cleverley, one of the best CFs in the league Benteke, and an experienced defender in Vlaar. The Southampton game was absolutely shocking, and then we couldn't break a rubbish, already relegated Burnley side down at home. The warning sides were there at the end of the campaign with the way we ended it with those games and the Cup final no show, albeit against better opposition. Most Villa fans were saying literally anyone other than Lambert would do better as the players weren't bottom 3 quality.

• Like 1

You didn't address calling the players losers before the cup final. Shocking man management. 

Especially when he's probably the biggest loser of them all.

What were his exact words Stefan?  I think you are maybe twisting them some what. 

You didn't address calling the players losers before the cup final. Shocking man management. 

Especially when he's probably the biggest loser of them all.

What were his exact words Stefan?  I think you are maybe twisting them some what. 

Google 'Sherwood losers' and you'll find a variety of quotes. Not twisting in the slightest.

The players available to him weren't that bad. He had two England midfielders in Delph and Cleverley, one of the best CFs in the league Benteke, and an experienced defender in Vlaar. The Southampton game was absolutely shocking, and then we couldn't break a rubbish, already relegated Burnley side down at home. The warning sides were there at the end of the campaign with the way we ended it with those games and the Cup final no show, albeit against better opposition. Most Villa fans were saying literally anyone other than Lambert would do better as the players weren't bottom 3 quality.

through no fault of his own they all left

I've been thinking about this a lot and every time I ask myself the question "Can Sherwood turn this around" I always answer no.

I really hope he does and he has my full support as long as he is here I just don't believe he is up to the task unfortunately.

I wanna support him I really do. But the Villa job has always been a very high pressure role maybe as much as the big boys, an I just don't think Sherwood is there yet, an ready to manage at such a high level for a full season. I also thought at the time we would need big experience to help us stay up, so I give Sherwood all due credit, but to be fair, how low the team was after Lambert, any half decent manager with Benteke, Clerverley, Delph, Gil would struggle to lose every other game towards the end of the season, so I don't really see it as any major achievement.

For me, the achievement is gonna be turning this season round after such a poor start. If he can do that from where we are sitting in the table at the moment, I will start to believe, maybe he really is the man to take us forward. But unfortunately, even when I think he could turn out to be one of the best managers we have ever had, I just have to smile a little, cause I know I must be kidding myself.

any half decent manager with Benteke, Clerverley, Delph, Gil would struggle to lose every other game towards the end of the season, so I don't really see it as any major achievement.

except he didn't play Gil, agree with the rest of your post but I do feel we are all getting slightly carried away, I am annoyed with Tim but I can still believe in the possibility of him getting things right with these players, as basically he has to do the equivalent of put together a jigsaw puzzle most five year olds could manage.

Well i think what he did at the end of last season was remarkable given the players available to him. For that reason i will give him until mid December before i start calling for his head, and I am confident that i won't be calling for it then either.

Results have gone against us, the team are still gelling, and we've had injuries to the best two signings so far. We haven't had much luck, but flukey win and things suddenly look ok again, the margins are that tight.

Breathe everyone.

very clever, but Newcastle were in tenth when Carver took over from Pardew in January, so as we were in the relegation zone when Sherwood took over in February it shouldn't be any kind of surprise they finished above us. But I don't suppose that common sense suits your agenda.

Breathe everyone.

very clever, but Newcastle were in tenth when Carver took over from Pardew in January, so as we were in the relegation zone when Sherwood took over in February it shouldn't be any kind of surprise they finished above us. But I don't suppose that common sense suits your agenda.

I think the point is that by the end of the season we were freefalling faster even than Newcastle, which is a bit of a worry when you're supposed to have momentum on your side.

Â