The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I read somewhere last week in one of the papers that Villa look 'petrified' when playing at home. Unless Sherwood, or whoever is the manager solves this 4 year problem, we will continue to be near the bottom. You can't average barely a point at home and expect anything else. Wins at home breed confidence, which hasn't happened for years at B6.

• Like 1

Not a lot of games, but we were supposedly released from the burdensome yolk of the previous manager. We'd just avoided relegation and were building towards a cup final. Where did all the good momentum go if it wasn't pissed away by a mouthy manager? He's since spent a fortune on players and we still show no signs of having a team who are prepared to bust their arse for the manager, we're seeing strange selections and substitutions, and we aren't winning games.

Tom Fox should be looking for a replacement now. Hopefully we won't need a replacement, but so far it looks likely that we will. Better to have someone lined up.

Well I don't disagree with most of the sentiment there but I do find the recent trend of revisionism a tad odd and unnecessary. That's not aimed at you personally but obviously we were not in greater freefall than Newcastle. 

I agree with the last bit and I'd imagine that Fox is preparing for the worst case scenario - especially if Sherwood's Villa Park visits whilst Lambert was still in charge are anything to go by. As you say, hopefully a replacement won't be needed anytime soon because ideally he should get a fairer amount of time before judgements are formed. I certainly won't be categorically writing him off as a manager at this stage in his career but my issue with the situation is one of pragmatism. Our league status must be prioritised before everything, so he simply can't afford to allow us to become cut adrift. The standard at the bottom this season is much higher. 

Not to mention the bollocks at the heart of his argument, that players are 'too friendly' and don't have enough 'gut' or whatever. They're professional footballers, when they cross the white line they compete and it doesn't matter how friendly you are with someone because you can still feel competitive. Indeed, in a lot of cases a friendly rivalry gets the best out of people.

He comes across as a dinosaur when he talks shit like that. Old ideals. 

If the players are failing on the pitch, more often than not it is down to bad management or a simple skills deficit. For us at the moment it is a bit of both.

• Like 2

Rodgers is one of the biggest chancers in the game plus a lot of people on here dont like Tim's interviews

I cant imagine Rodgers saying we showed great character after each defeat will go down to well ;)

• Like 2

Rodgers is one of the biggest chancers in the game plus a lot of people on here dont like Tim's interviews

I cant imagine Rodgers saying we showed great character after each defeat will go down to well ;)

So dour he makes Lambert sound like the life and soul of the party.

If Sherwood was to go at any time this season, and this guy hasn't got a new club, it will be Allardyce that gets the job. I couldn't see anyone else who's more getable and suitable taking the job. By suitable I mean, is experienced at keeping clubs up. I say this because, for Villa to part company with Sherwood, I think we would be near the bottom and looking a bit desperate. 

This one stands out.  

what a tool.

......bit like digging up graves though, isn't it

whats it got to do with us?

What worries me is how similar the Leicester interview was to that and that he hasn't learnt that the players need more than their manager sulking on TV slagging them off.  It's so unprofessional.

Perhaps he should come on like the "laughing Policeman" and tell everyone the players are an "honest bunch of lads" or he could say "we were excellent" after every game.

.............There, fixed it.

• Like 1

I read somewhere last week in one of the papers that Villa look 'petrified' when playing at home. Unless Sherwood, or whoever is the manager solves this 4 year problem, we will continue to be near the bottom. You can't average barely a point at home and expect anything else. Wins at home breed confidence, which hasn't happened for years at B6.

We have relied on a counter attacking game for so long, accompanied by a weak midfield, until we dominate/battle the middle of the park for decent periods in a game, I think we have a long wait .....this goes back about 10 years.....even under O'Neill the home form was iffy.

you almost have to go back to Houghton,Parker,Richardson,Townsend eras

• Like 1

TRO, at what stage would you start to be concerned about Sherwood as manager? 

Not having a dig mate, it's just that you seem to post more in his defence. So, I'm wondering how bad it would have to get for you to start thinking twice about him. 

Personally, I think it's too early to question his position. He needs more time to gel the players and to get his best team out playing regularly. 

However, Newcastle are in a similar position to us with regards to changes and Schteve Maclaren himself said that his players needed time to gel. If they were to start showing signs of that in say 4 or 5 games, I would hope that we are too. 

A bit of advice for you Tim. 

Last season you came here and played to our strengths, which was to get the ball to our best player as quickly as possible. You knew we were not good defensively so you got the ball to our most dangerous player and it worked. 

This season, the defence, overall, hasn't changed. We're still leaking and nervy at the back. We now carry more threat at the other end of the pitch so utilise it. Throw Grealish, Ayew and Gil in behind Gestede and play Veretout and Gana behind them to get the ball to them and you will see your team playing to its strengths. 

• Like 1

TRO, at what stage would you start to be concerned about Sherwood as manager? 

Not having a dig mate, it's just that you seem to post more in his defence. So, I'm wondering how bad it would have to get for you to start thinking twice about him. 

Personally, I think it's too early to question his position. He needs more time to gel the players and to get his best team out playing regularly. 

However, Newcastle are in a similar position to us with regards to changes and Schteve Maclaren himself said that his players needed time to gel. If they were to start showing signs of that in say 4 or 5 games, I would hope that we are too. 

I agree with this, the thing that worries me is that he doesn't seem to stick with a team. Might be because of injuries but the Clark being dropped seems strange, Gill not playing, not making it clear who he likes at right back, Ayew being dropped.......

Â