The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Pulis (this season)

“It was the wrong choice and sometimes, as manager, you have to accept the responsibility,” he said. “If anyone is criticised, it has to be me.”

Pulis (Last season)

Maybe, looking back, I should have changed a couple of them because a few of them looked jaded

Mancini (2012)

It's my fault because I prepared badly for this game.

That's from a 5 minute Google.

With respect, I never said that Sherwood should say 'it's entirely my fault'. There are other factors. But he has completely stepped back from any blame and blamed his players time and time again.

• Like 1

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-tim-sherwood-10142866

Tim Sherwood after the defeat against Liverpool.

“I’m the manager I have to take responsibility,” he said.

Taken out of context. Full quotes.

“I’m the manager I have to take responsibility,” he said.

“As a club we decided that we were taking a certain route (this season) and that we would look at young players.

“Every manager is under pressure. But what are you going to do?

“If you don’t fancy it, get out of it.

“If you do, crack on. You can only do what you do.

“If you start worrying about what he’s thinking and what a pundit says... every manager manages a different way.

“There’s no science. So what’s right?

“I’m in a great position to be in this job. I will do it to the best of my knowledge.”

He's not talking about the match or who's to blame. He's talking general responsibility of being a manager.

• Like 1

Honestly I also don't get this he should accept the blame nonsense, he will ultimately be blamed anyway, it's his neck on the line, no-one else's. It makes no difference to me the fact is Sherwood, you know, I know that he is responsible for our current predicament, him not saying it makes not one jot of difference, just as it did with previous managers. Until he does a McLeish and blames the Gods he's doing alright for me.

• Like 1

It does make a difference though.

If you had a manager who made a mistake, and blamed you publicly for it rather than admitting their own mistake, would that make you more or less likely to work harder for him/her?

Footballers are human. They need managing.

Really poor point TRO. 

Refs and chairmen don't do post match interviews. Players don't blame other people and it's not their job to take the blame. 

Its part of a manager's job in any profession to take blame for their team and inspire confidence. 

For me, Sherwood doesn't do that. He's all bluster and he's being found out incredibly quickly. 

This was your earlier comment, he's stated he is the manager and he accepts the responsibility, you then state something else that he didn't mean it in this context. I think this is more to do with general dislike of Sherwood rather than what he says post-match. Also are the players blameless? Many managers blame players, I could easily go on Google and find the same managers you are praising to see them slating players in the same breath. I have more concerns with Sherwood team selection than I do with what he says post match.

If you had a manager who made a mistake, and blamed you publicly for it rather than admitting their own mistake, would that make you more or less likely to work harder for him/her?

Also which player has he recently come out and blamed specifically for a defeat?

Really poor point TRO. 

Refs and chairmen don't do post match interviews. Players don't blame other people and it's not their job to take the blame. 

Its part of a manager's job in any profession to take blame for their team and inspire confidence. 

For me, Sherwood doesn't do that. He's all bluster and he's being found out incredibly quickly. 

This was your earlier comment, he's stated he is the manager and he accepts the responsibility, you then state something else that he didn't mean it in this context. I think this is more to do with general dislike of Sherwood rather than what he says post-match. Also are the players blameless? Many managers blame players, I could easily go on Google and find the same managers you are praising to see them slating players in the same breath. I have more concerns with Sherwood team selection than I do with what he says post match.

Thanks for pulling up my earlier comment. Literally has nothing to do with anything but thanks all the same.

Did I say the players are blameless? 

You're arguing against points I haven't even made.

Also which player has he recently come out and blamed specifically for a defeat?

Again, I didn't say he was singling out players. But blaming them for his own mistakes.

See:

I'll ask this again where has Sherwood specifically blamed a player for a mistake or a defeat? Just generally interested.

Really poor point TRO. 

Thanks for pulling up my earlier comment. Literally has nothing to do with anything but thanks all the same.

Did I say the players are blameless? 

Doubt I'm arguing mate.

I'll ask this again where has Sherwood specifically blamed a player for a mistake or a defeat? Just generally interested.

And once again I'll reply exactly the same way.

Again, I didn't say he was singling out players. But blaming them for his own mistakes.

See:

Whoever he blames and whatever he says, he's doing a bad at the moment.

I'd agree with this, but i do sense that we are picking at everything he does. I'd rather talk about his real issues and that is still not knowing his best 11, constantly tinkering with the side. Also have concerns generally of the fitness, against West Brom, it was obvious who was the stronger and fitter side.

• Like 1

Whoever he blames and whatever he says, he's doing a bad at the moment.

I'd agree with this, but i do sense that we are picking at everything he does. I'd rather talk about his real issues and that is still not knowing his best 11, constantly tinkering with the side. Also have concerns generally of the fitness, against West Brom, it was obvious who was the stronger and fitter side.

Too sensible, not enough dislike for Sherwood.

• Like 1

This new quoting system is absolute gash.  Anyway, Stevo:

"Come on. Saying something twice doesn't mean somebody has been saying it all season default_crylaughin.gif
If Gil didn't score again until the last game of the season would you say he'd been scoring goals all season?"

I've given you 4 quotes from 4 different games over a period from 21st August to 29th September - and that's just from instances off the top of my head.  How can you come back with "saying something twice"?! :crylaugh:

I remember one game where Mourinho gave an interview afterwards and was critical about a player (didn't name who) and it cut back to the MOTD panel and they were all "I think we know he's talking about Ivanovic there".

All.  Season.  But hey, it's not Sherwood.  And Mourinho is the best ever.

You gave me 3 (relevant) quotes. One of which was august and two of which were within the last 4 days, one of which being the one I'd already referred to. That does not constitute saying something all season.

If you think it does then fair enough, you're right by your own definition of " all season".

All of this is rendered pointless given that you're original point was that managers do it when they're under pressure, yet Sherwood has done it for us even when he hasn't been under pressure.

Which is downright odd.

Anyway, we're talking round in circles. To reiterate my opinion of Sherwood:

Very pleased with him last season. Think it's too early to get rid of him this season but recognise he's been poor but deserves time to turn it around. If we're struggling in December then it'll be time.

Pulis (this season)

“It was the wrong choice and sometimes, as manager, you have to accept the responsibility,” he said. “If anyone is criticised, it has to be me.”

Pulis (Last season)

Maybe, looking back, I should have changed a couple of them because a few of them looked jaded

Mancini (2012)

It's my fault because I prepared badly for this game.

That's from a 5 minute Google.

With respect, I never said that Sherwood should say 'it's entirely my fault'. There are other factors. But he has completely stepped back from any blame and blamed his players time and time again.

How do you know, that many points about the play we have been raising, that he has not mentioned this to the players and that they are not carrying out his precise instructions.....In which case, he is entitled to make pointed comments towards them, as is any Manager, however there are many opinions on this as to whether its good or bad.....It depends on the reaction....some react to a cuddle, some react to criticism.

It does come across a tad that the players must be wrapped in cotton wool and the for the manager its open season.

Let me say.....its as important for the Manager to stay confident as it is the players, If its not good to slag the players off, that should fit for the manager too.....especially so early in his Villa Career.

Â