The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

At tinker, I hear what you're saying mate but I am guessing that the Clark decision was based on his early season form. Bacuna had a lot of assists at the end of last season so I'm thinking that Sherwood felt he could carry that on and it's failed. Ayew was probably needing time to settle but, there are no real excuses for not picking some of the others. 

He needs to be brave and attack teams because we played really well first half against Leicester. We need to play to our strengths. 

TRO, at what stage would you start to be concerned about Sherwood as manager? 

Not having a dig mate, it's just that you seem to post more in his defence. So, I'm wondering how bad it would have to get for you to start thinking twice about him. 

Personally, I think it's too early to question his position. He needs more time to gel the players and to get his best team out playing regularly. 

However, Newcastle are in a similar position to us with regards to changes and Schteve Maclaren himself said that his players needed time to gel. If they were to start showing signs of that in say 4 or 5 games, I would hope that we are too. 

I have never been sure of any manager managing Aston villa my first manager was joe mercer, so I have seen a few......I wouldn't put a time limit on it but Lambert had 3 years, not saying TS will be given that long not at this rate of defeats anyway......He has to be given a reasonable amount of time, when it appears nothing is improving, questions will undoubtably be asked.

managers live and die on results and their transfer dealings.....he will be no different.

unlike many posters, I like his interviews, some recent ones have been a bit iffy, but so has mourinho's.....goes with losing so many games. I have always understood his manner, happy when we win, dour when we lose.

no villa fan can be happy, with our points haul and everyone of us is waiting for a turn in fortune, hopefully today.....that will change the mood and refrain some fans from massaging their own overall opinion of him, I do detect a certain "told you so "element promoting their own judgment, based on an instant dislike of him.....where were these comments after the Liverpool semi final.....tucked away for a convenient day like now.

I am not defending TS unconditionally, but whilst he is in his early tenure and trying to turn things around he needs support.....not cheap shots at his match interviews, just because some one reads a bit of negativity that fits their overall dislike of him.....he could speak in Swahili for all I care as long as we win, we should keep to the real issues.

I watch the games and I have concerns....I'm sure he does......fixing it is a whole lot different from knowing what is wrong.....tactics play their part for sure, but IMO too much emphasis is put on that.....the players themselves, need to perform offensively and defensively and show a controlled level of aggression.

Sherwood cannot be aggressive for them......and one transfer window will not cure all the ills we had....it was a mess.

it is hard to defend anyone at B6 at present.......but we must dig deep and support in the dark hour, it will turn......the easy bit is slagging him off and clamouring for a replacement on the basis nothing can get worse.....can it?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Needs a win today big time.  Though,  I really don't think he will get it.  As said in the match thread,  I don't want him sacked but I don't see where the next win is coming from. 

I think the reason for that is the standard of football is a lot lot better than what Lambert had us playing, I've seen really positive signs going forward,   we just need to become a bit more sterdy at the back.  

• Like 1

Just checkout Ron Atkinsons reign as manager for how fortunes can change.....and how strange decisions can be made like the signing of John Fashanu and Nii Lamptey.

Ron provided us with some great football in first half as manger, second half he couldn't buy a win.

we must keep our nerve.

TRO, at what stage would you start to be concerned about Sherwood as manager? 

Not having a dig mate, it's just that you seem to post more in his defence. So, I'm wondering how bad it would have to get for you to start thinking twice about him. 

Personally, I think it's too early to question his position. He needs more time to gel the players and to get his best team out playing regularly. 

However, Newcastle are in a similar position to us with regards to changes and Schteve Maclaren himself said that his players needed time to gel. If they were to start showing signs of that in say 4 or 5 games, I would hope that we are too. 

I agree with this, the thing that worries me is that he doesn't seem to stick with a team. Might be because of injuries but the Clark being dropped seems strange, Gill not playing, not making it clear who he likes at right back, Ayew being dropped.......

He is trying to find a solution.......I think, we all think managers have all the answers, all of the time, even mourinho's is struggling.....they are dealing with human beings first and players second.

This one stands out.  

what a tool.

......bit like digging up graves though, isn't it

whats it got to do with us?

Directly, nothing. But when that happened I remember thinking 'what a tool' and I think the General consensus would have been that sulking on camera and telling the world your players have no guts is unbefitting of a professional Manager . And if we agree that isn't the way a Manager should be behaving, then after Leicester, that video shows that Sherwood isn't learning. And given that we are likely to lose more games than we win this year, that childish behaviour is set to continue and IMO that can't be good for moral. 

For a decade now wewe have laughed at the likes of Wenger and José for never seeing any fault with their team or players, but its all about good man management, everything should be done behind closed doors and you don't act like a tool during interview's.

Needs a win today big time.  Though,  I really don't think he will get it.  As said in the match thread,  I don't want him sacked but I don't see where the next win is coming from. 

I think the reason for that is the standard of football is a lot lot better than what Lambert had us playing, I've seen really positive signs going forward,   we just need to become a bit more sterdy at the back.  

If you can't see us beating Stoke at home, nor can you see where the next win is coming from, is that not reason enough to want him sacked?

If you can't see us beating Stoke at home, nor can you see where the next win is coming from, is that not reason enough to want him sacked?

If you read the next paragraph he explains why he doesn't want him sacked.....

This one stands out.  

what a tool.

......bit like digging up graves though, isn't it

whats it got to do with us?

Directly, nothing. But when that happened I remember thinking 'what a tool' and I think the General consensus would have been that sulking on camera and telling the world your players have no guts is unbefitting of a professional Manager . And if we agree that isn't the way a Manager should be behaving, then after Leicester, that video shows that Sherwood isn't learning. And given that we are likely to lose more games than we win this year, that childish behaviour is set to continue and IMO that can't be good for moral. 

For a decade now wewe have laughed at the likes of Wenger and José for never seeing any fault with their team or players, but its all about good man management, everything should be done behind closed doors and you don't act like a tool during interview's.

I think it is more to do with The managers personality as opposed to "being professional" Bobby Robson used over elaborate to some folk, I used to find it interesting.

Personally, I like to see a manager, be himself......I used to get infuriated every week with " i thought we were really excellent" as we were heading for the trap door.

Its each and every fans individual opinion as to what they want to hear.....I would prefer to hear it ....as it is. If a player does not perform well and I can clearly see that, I don't want somebody telling me I'm wrong.....However, There are ways to do get your point over without destroying the already fragile confidence that exists.

There are many ways of looking at all of this, but equally should a manager throw himself on the sacrificial sword, to appease the feelings of a player who he knows is not cutting the mustard.....just being devils advocate on the last line.

I have noticed in recent years the reluctance of managers to " hook" players during a game..... which was common place years ago.....not saying I'm in favour or against, but players do seem to be a bit over protected these days.

If you read the next paragraph he explains why he doesn't want him sacked...

I read the whole post, our ideas of positive are obviously different.

What I have saw so far is a squad of players that worked their knackers off for a new manager for a couple of months before reverting back to the form of the previous few years. Now we all are entitled to our opinions regarding the reasons for that, my opinion is that the players have quickly realised that he simply doesn't have a clue, and I have formed that opinion on the grounds that I haven't saw one coherent 90mins this season. I've remarked previously that none of players look as though they have any idea what they are supposed to be doing, I've also asked the question about our identity, what is he trying to achieve?. I really can't see any plan, can you?

Edited by av1

I don't think ppl want him gone because they don't like him. I actually quite liked him up until a couple of weeks ago.

Ppl don't want him here because he appears to be crap.

I don't think it really matters who is in charge of this club at the moment, the club and the team are just shit and have been for some time. I'm not sure what people expect of villa? We are basically the new Wigan with a bigger fan base relying on there being 3 worse teams than us year in year out. At least the games are more entertaining these days. I don't really expect much more than that as we still have one of the weakest teams in the league

I don't want him gone I just want him to do well, there's nothing going to built by swapping managers right after we have backed them in a transfer window. 

We can all question what a manager does , its why we pay our money and what we all love about football, tbh I'm 90% behind him staying as our manager and doing well. UTV

I don't think ppl want him gone because they don't like him. I actually quite liked him up until a couple of weeks ago.

Ppl don't want him here because he appears to be crap.

I don't think it really matters who is in charge of this club at the moment, the club and the team are just shit and have been for some time. I'm not sure what people expect of villa? We are basically the new Wigan with a bigger fan base relying on there being 3 worse teams than us year in year out. At least the games are more entertaining these days. I don't really expect much more than that as we still have one of the weakest teams in the league

Nonsense.

We have probably the strongest squad we've had since MON's last season. (EDIT: I meant Houllier's season)

The manager is failing.

I hate when our own fans sell us so short and compare us to Wigan. Piss off with that bollocks.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â