The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

What worries me is I can't see any combination of players bringing us points

There is no consistency, every sniff of hope is quickly and brutally snuffed out

Gil looks like our saviour, gets injured, comes back and is ineffective (sure he will be good again but when he does the rest of the team will be useless).

Bacuna scores looks a threat, gets dropped

There seems to be a merry go round of Richardson, Sanchez, Cole, Westwood and Cleverly all of whom seem to be engaging in a competition as to who can be the worst midfielder whilst Weimann, Gabby and Benteke desperately compete to see who can be the worst striker in the premiership.

There was a time where we used to say our best players were Delph, Vlaar, Benteke, Guzan, now even those players are mostly rubbish. How many decent saves does Guzan make? His distribution is awful. Given deserved to stay in goal.

Sherwood turns to the kids? Aint gonna happen is it, Grealish maybe able to impact a few games, but who else? Sherwood brings someone in from the cold like he did Adebeyawn at Spuds

Nzogbia looks to have checked out already, be a miracle if Tiger Tim turns to him

Kozak is still roughly month from match fitness and I can't see Bent or Robinson being recalled, even if clauses like that exist.

We were poor today but to lose the way we did is the clearest sign all our luck has gone and our confidence shot away. I expected a dour draw, but we couldn't even get the new manager buzz to pay off even for one match.

It is not hopeless, but Sherwood will need to be a miracle worked to undo the damage already done and get something from that squad.

• Like 1

My fear is that Sherwood has little or no experience of relegation as a player or coach. As far as I remember his playing career was at a ambitious Blackburn, Spurs, and Pompey when they went up. It takes certain qualities to motivate players  to make them fight  to get much needed points to stay up. I hope he can do it.

Doesnt matter what our fears are. The club dont listen and the people on here who thought Sherwood was a great appointment will only accuse us of not supporting and getting behind him and the team. Complete disaster after another at this club.

• Like 3

My fear is that Sherwood has little or no experience of relegation as a player or coach. As far as I remember his playing career was at a ambitious Blackburn, Spurs, and Pompey when they went up. It takes certain qualities to motivate players  to make them fight  to get much needed points to stay up. I hope he can do it.

Doesnt matter what our fears are. The club dont listen and the people on here who thought Sherwood was a great appointment will only accuse us of not supporting and getting behind him and the team. Complete disaster after another at this club.

Yep - an experienced manager would struggle to turn this around. But maybe a rookie manager is just what we need - but hey lets not get negative.....

We don't seem to have hunger or fight.. and to lack that in the first game of a new manager speaks volumes. Gabby and Delph need to be benched. I hope Senderos is back soon. Maybe even try Clark as DM because I have no faith in any of our midfielders. At least he will add urgency and a tackle in midfield. Okore and Senderos can play CB. Gil needs to be central.. we can't get him involved on the wing and he just cuts in all the time.

Edited by KSV

Today really hurt.

I'm going to try and not get too carried away because it was a garbage 1-1 all day long. Then from nowhere, again, we manage to throw it away and pick up another red card to an important player. As well as being total crap all season long, we're really not getting breaks and it doesn't bode well.

If Gil coming off was a tactical change, it was incorrect. No one was coming short for the ball and sadly Tim has spent all week telling everyone in the press that our game plan is going to be...Get it to Benteke ASAP.

Having Weimann in the 18 is wrong, he's barely a footballer. That corner sums him up, said to my mate, this won't get three inches off the ground. Bang, into the first man, class.

Cole injured again? We absolutely need IMO, to have one of Gil, Cole or even Grealish on the pitch to create that bridge between other nine and Benteke.

Come on Tim, I'm with you. We need you to succeed.

Experience is overrated is it? Guess what Sherwood? you are wrong mate.

We are all armchair fans and there were plenty of people happy with the team selection today before the game but as soon as I saw the team I was worried.

Delph's form is as bad as I can recall, playing him in the centre with Sanchez who isn't exactly consistent was asking to be over run.

Playing Gabby along side Benteke might have worked but Gabby hardly joined him in attack so I assume he was instructed to be part of the midfield??? If so then it was a awful idea.

Playing Richardson at LB (or anywhere for that matter) is asking for trouble, the fact that he has hardly played is due to him being bloody useless. His fitness must have been a concern and losing him to an injury early on means we only had 2 subs to try to change the game.

I'm not fan of Cleverley nor Westwood for that matter but these 2 should have been involved, Stoke murdered us in midfield.

An experienced Manager might have made the same mistake if he were in charge and I can't blame him for trying a different set up than the dross Lambert played but Sherwood is going to have to quickly learn how to make this poor squad tick.

Yes Tim you are going to get some experience over the next few months that will make or break you we all hope it makes you and we survive this season.

Just going to throw a curve ball in here, TS lost his first game in charge of Spurs 2-1 to West Ham. Yes, I'm clutching at straws as I know how bad we really are, but let's hope, gotta have hope!

• Like 1

I think, in the end, our survival depends on Benteke. If he can't turn himself around, we'll go down.

But, someone put it well - fans are going to suffer the worst if we go down. That should be enough motivation for all here to get behind the manager and the players. It would be pretty thick headed to do otherwise.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 2

thing is most modern day footballers dont give a shit about the fans as long as they are getting their thousands a week then everything is ok. im becoming very disillusioned with football and in particular the premier league because its just getting ridiculious and the fans are suffering more and more. back on topic though and what a disaster yesterday was for sherwood.

Ok. A bit too early maybe but I say it now instead of in April. Randy made a bad manager appointment again.

:D I hope the majority of our fans give him more time than you obviously have. Jeez.

At least Sherwood was refreshingly honest in his after match press conference.

The previous manager would have said "we were teriffic" or some such bollocks.

Sherwood can see we are cack and admits it - but can he change it?

• Like 1

Experience is overrated is it? Guess what Sherwood? you are wrong mate.

We are all armchair fans and there were plenty of people happy with the team selection today before the game but as soon as I saw the team I was worried.

Delph's form is as bad as I can recall, playing him in the centre with Sanchez who isn't exactly consistent was asking to be over run.

Playing Gabby along side Benteke might have worked but Gabby hardly joined him in attack so I assume he was instructed to be part of the midfield??? If so then it was a awful idea.

Playing Richardson at LB (or anywhere for that matter) is asking for trouble, the fact that he has hardly played is due to him being bloody useless. His fitness must have been a concern and losing him to an injury early on means we only had 2 subs to try to change the game.

I'm not fan of Cleverley nor Westwood for that matter but these 2 should have been involved, Stoke murdered us in midfield.

An experienced Manager might have made the same mistake if he were in charge and I can't blame him for trying a different set up than the dross Lambert played but Sherwood is going to have to quickly learn how to make this poor squad tick.

Yes Tim you are going to get some experience over the next few months that will make or break you we all hope it makes you and we survive this season.

Hindsight ay Sean? It's wonderful.

Playing Richardson was asking for trouble, because he hasn't played much, therefore was an injury risk? But you were happy for Vlaar to play, who has been the biggest injury risk in our team since he joined?

Also, in the early parts of the game, I thought Richardson over Cossokho was instrumental to how Sherwood wanted us to play. Had Cissokho been there, we'd lose a bit of that attacking flow because Cissokho's crossing and passing aren't as good as Richardson's.

Delph and Sanchez, bad form and inconsistent, so you'd prefer Cleverley and Westwood to be involved, who are both consistently average? Except for Cleverley who has had his good form for one half against Leicester.

To me, the problem was that we sat back after the goal, as always. Had we continued to play as we did at the start, then the formation and team selection wouldn't be a problem.

I purposely waited until this morning to comment on yesterday as I didn't want to make any reactionary comments, as I was pretty deflated by 5pm. I think we all hoped that we'd get a win, and that would mark a new chapter in Villa and a strong positive start to Sherwood's reign. It's way too early to say if Sherwood's appointment is good/bad, but I think it's likely to be somewhere in between. My worry now is that after all the bravado and bluster of Tim's interviews, the veneer seems to have worn away a little and I remembered that we have a relatively average squad, and a manager who lacks experience. That doesn't mean that relegation is a certainty at all, but it has tempered my expectations a little. Getting your hopes up is a dangerous game, but I wouldn't want to change my outlook on things, I have to believe things can get better.

For what it's worth I don't think Lambert was a terrible manager, and I don't think Sherwood is either. The only difference to me is that Lambert had a chance (albeit in a certain set of circumstances) and Sherwood hasn't yet.

Apologies for rambling on a bit there!

I think, in the end, our survival depends on Benteke. If he can't turn himself around, we'll go down.

But, someone put it well - fans are going to suffer the worst if we go down. That should be enough motivation for all here to get behind the manager and the players. It would be pretty thick headed to do otherwise.

Maybe he doesn't want to turn himself around and is already talking with his agent looking to move elsewhere

The bloke doesn't look interested 

Reading a interview with Vlaar. He made a good point about a new manager wanting to change the way the team plays. If your trained to play a certain way for 3-4 years and then told to change in a week anyone can see its going to take a few games to see any real change. Hopefully we'll see changes in the coming weeks but my worry is we left it too late to change.

Here's what I took from yesterday's game.

We can't play a 2 man midfield.

I guessed Sherwood would play 4-4-2, that's his thing. But I don't think we'll ever be good at it with this squad.

Whether that's because the players aren't good enough or they're just not used to it I don't know but I don't think it'll work.

Hopefully Sherwood will see that and put us back to a 3 man midfield.

I really think our problem is confidence other than that. First half an hour we looked good but once we were ahead we withdrew. We could have really done with the result to get some sort of confidence back.

Hopefully given more time Sherwood can instill that confidence as I don't think we're going to tactically play our way out of this mess.

• Like 1

Â