Carles Gil

bose

Crackpot theory alert:

Sherwood maybe sees Gil as by far our best player, and might be planning to use Gil as little as possible this season to keep him out of the shop window for now.

More realistic alternative A: He knows what Gil can do, but wants to see if he can get the likes of Zog doing a bit of it too.

More realistic alternative B: He doesn't rate him.

Hope it isn't B.

He's clearly good enough based on what he did against Liverpool and Chelsea.

Yes, true. What I really meant was that when his skillset suits Tim's plans better than other players' skillset, he plays.

I don't think Sherwood has any problem with him, we're in a relegation fight and clearly his first bunch of go-to players are the more experienced fellas who have been in this mess previously (I.e. Zoggy, Gabby).

Gil will get his chances, he's clearly a gifted player but I think Sherwood just wants to get some points on the board right now and isn't incredibly fussed about how that happens. Fair enough IMO.

• Like 3

As others have said, I think it's just that Sherwood is picking what he believes to be the strongest staring 11 and making what he thinks are the right subs. So I think when the opposition and game style warrants it then he'll get his chance.

I really hope so because he seemed so promising in those first few games. To me I think he is in our strongest 11, so I just hope he gets a chance soon. Saying that I don't know of I'd drop N'Zog or Sinclair as both were good in the 2nd half yesterday.

N'Zogbia, Sinclair, Gil, Benteke .. It's incredible really that we're in a relegation fight

N'Zogbia has been pretty awful since he signed.

Sinclair and Gil signed at the end of January so have had little time to make an impact.

Benteke is in a horrible run of form.

It's not that surprising at all really.

• Like 2

He was right in front of me when Grealish came on, looked pissed, but to be fair he was lazy warming up, maybe he is a little lazy in training. Don't get me wrong though, I want him playing every game regardless, adds flair.

To be fair if he has a drink problem a spell on the sidelines might be the best thing for him!

• Like 2

Sherwood said something along the lines of once we've avoided relegation there will a different philosophy to the way we play. I imagine that's when we'll see more of Gil

• Like 1

The great player assessment is always a chestnut.....George best was a great player, so was Duncan Edwards, completely different players.

Carles Gil has undoubted ability on the ball, but he may be seen by the manager as a bit lightweight for the gruelling fight ahead....that stance may change, if we go on a good run and a bit of swagger comes back in to our game.

I think CG could be a victim of horses for courses......just a thought.

Reckon Gil was one of the players TS may have been referring to when he made the comments about having a squad for the Europa League places and not for a relegation abate. Perhaps we won't see much of him until next year.

Â