Carles Gil

bose

My prediction is that he'll come on in games when we're unable to unlock defences and our pace isn't leading to goals. He'll score/assist a couple coming on from the bench. 

how nice is it that we have a player of that quality on the bench! Been a long time since we've had decent depth. Westwood, Vlaar, Gil, Cissokho, Given, Sanchez, Weimann. Add a handful of good signings, this team can challenge for 6th-7th place.

• Like 1

At the moment the team are being asked to press. Gil maybe doesn't have that in his locker (at the moment, at least) nor does he have the fitness having played in the pedestrian Spanish league.

La Liga isn't pedestrian, far from it but he didn't play many games for Valencia this season so maybe his fitness levels aren't great. 

Can see him off in the Summer.

Be a real shame if he's not given a go in this confident side.

"Given a go"? This is not playschool, it's serious business. Winning games is all that matters. I like the lad, seriously, but we are not Aston Carles.

That's not an attack on you personally by the way, just a general feeling of frustration I have with regards this subject. Perhaps it's me not understanding something?

I just think he's shown he is easily good enough for this team, and can seriously contribute to us winning games and scoring goals. He's been an absolute shining light in a terrible side every single match he's played for us, yes including Stoke.

I'm not saying play him every game all the time, but to me, he just isn't being given a fair crack by Tim, and that is a shame for Aston Villa.

In the diamond, he's the best player we have who can play in behind the strikers. Better than Zog, better than Grealish, better than Joe Cole!

Look how good Zog has been since being "given a go" and plucked from nowhere!

To reiterate, do not play him no matter what, in any system. In the flat 4-4-2 we played Saturday, I have no issues with him being benched, that was clearly the correct call. But look at the WBA home game, diamond in midfield, we were the better team and ended up sneaking the game with a penalty. By playing Gil more, when the game suits, I think we're giving ourselves a better chance going forward.

I'm hoping Sherwood will give him a go eventually. I'd be really disappointed to see him leave, and if he doesn't play much till the end of the year, there's no doubts in my mind he will.

how nice is it that we have a player of that quality on the bench! Been a long time since we've had decent depth. Westwood, Vlaar, Gil, Cissokho, Given, Sanchez, Weimann. Add a handful of good signings, this team can challenge for 6th-7th place.

Ehhh. Maybe if we had the season of our lives. Top 7 is pretty strong imo. They're all competing for the top 4 and assuming Everton sort themselves out with the squad they have for next season that'll be a strong top 8. I think we'll be competing with Everton and Southampton of the best of the rest initially if we do really well next season. 

In regards to Gil, can't wait for next season to see him get more of a chance. I think I heard he didn't speak a word of English signing with us. If Sherwood is trying to get across a point, this at present might be the deal breaker?

"Given a go"? This is not playschool, it's serious business. Winning games is all that matters. I like the lad, seriously, but we are not Aston Carles.

That's not an attack on you personally by the way, just a general feeling of frustration I have with regards this subject. Perhaps it's me not understanding something?

I just think he's shown he is easily good enough for this team, and can seriously contribute to us winning games and scoring goals. He's been an absolute shining light in a terrible side every single match he's played for us, yes including Stoke.

I'm not saying play him every game all the time, but to me, he just isn't being given a fair crack by Tim, and that is a shame for Aston Villa.

In the diamond, he's the best player we have who can play in behind the strikers. Better than Zog, better than Grealish, better than Joe Cole!

To reiterate, do not play him no matter what, in any system. In the flat 4-4-2 we played Saturday, I have no issues with him being benched, that was clearly the correct call. But look at the WBA home game, diamond in midfield, we were the better team and ended up sneaking the game with a penalty. By playing Gil more, when the game suits, I think we're giving ourselves a better chance going forward.

I'm hoping Sherwood will give him a go eventually. I'd be really disappointed to see him leave, and if he doesn't play much till the end of the year, there's no doubts in my mind he will.

He only signed in January and you some how think there is a danger of him leaving in the summer. That's simply mental.

Well I have no doubts at all Sherwood is there watching, so glad to see him doing his stuff.

His attitude is vital at this time, if he starts stropping he can do one; if he cracks on and shows Sherwood he's been wrong, I think the manager will respect him and happily play him.

He only signed in January and you some how think there is a danger of him leaving in the summer. That's simply mental.

I don't think that's 'simply mental'. I agree it's unlikely, but Shane Long signed for Hull last January and then moved to Southampton last summer, it does happen. 

I think he was utterly ineffective last time he played, and since then Sinclair and N'Zogbia have been in great form, so understand why he's on the bench.  Please note, I am not however writing him off.

• Like 1

Ehhh. Maybe if we had the season of our lives. Top 7 is pretty strong imo. They're all competing for the top 4 and assuming Everton sort themselves out with the squad they have for next season that'll be a strong top 8. I think we'll be competing with Everton and Southampton of the best of the rest initially if we do really well next season. 

Christ lads let's stay up first  :)

Â