Carles Gil

bose

At this point, it would be hard to find a spot for Gil within the side. With Benteke due to come back, it is possible that either Sinclair or Nzog would have to make way (although I'd hope it would be Cleverley). I doubt many would want either of those two dropped, so how do you find a place for Gil?

I was disappointed when Gil didn't make the starting 11 initially but I don't like to change winning sides (with the exception of possibly bringing in Benteke if fit) Gil will have to bide his time and take his chance when it comes round. Theres plenty of football left to play yet and injuries/suspensions will see Gil start at some point. Not on Saturday though as the players from the West Brom game deserve to start. 4-4-2 for me, with Cleverley making way for Benteke (if fit)

I think he is going to take over the role that Joe Cole was meant to be played as. If a team is bunkering against us, we bring on Gil who will look for the splitting pass and attack those defenders. Otherwise, he will be on the bench. Sherwood likes having wingers with some pace. 

I would like Gil to be playing as I don't rate N'Zogbia but at the moment I really don't care who starts as long as we keep winning or picking up points. If not then the manager can be questioned, but we're winning.

I had honestly forgot what it was like for MY team to win games.

I had honestly forgot what it was like for MY team to win games.

Dunno about you, but I'd forgotten what it was like for my team to have shots on target...let alone score and win!

Sherwood said: “It’s up to Carles to prove on the training field he warrants a place. It's my choice who plays and doesn't.

“Everyone is up for selection and has a chance to play until the end of the season. Everyone has to remember I am picking a team to win a game but it's nothing personal.

“I think what you will find with the way I manage is that I am honest with them. They are not left out because I don't like them.

“I used to hate managers telling me I am not playing because of this and that.

We’re assessing everyone to see what we need to do."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11462439/.html

Sherwood said: “It’s up to Carles to prove on the training field he warrants a place. It's my choice who plays and doesn't.

“Everyone is up for selection and has a chance to play until the end of the season. Everyone has to remember I am picking a team to win a game but it's nothing personal.

“I think what you will find with the way I manage is that I am honest with them. They are not left out because I don't like them.

Hmmm, not sure about this. Gil looks to me technically gifted so wouldn't be a grafter on the traning field. Soft training to me does not mean shite in a match, Tevez although a different player, was a known lazy trainer, class on match day.

Just on that piece you posted, there was one more bit :-

"I think Aston Villa are more capable of challenging towards the top half but we’re not in that situation. Who is best equipped to get out of a relegation battle? That is something I am still trying to decide."

That was quite interesting for me, kind of touches on a lot of what people may have suspected in that we're picking the players up for the fight out of relegation.  Maybe he just isn't seeing that in him, because when you're grinding it out down the bottom fighting to stay on top - it is never pretty.

Would much rather have him play instead of N'Zogbia

I went to "like" that post reflexively, then I remembered Zog has actually been playing well, so why change it up at this point...Gil will be back with a vengeance, but as long as we stay up, I'm happy not seeing him play again this season. Well, maybe not happy, but content.

Maybe Sherwood wants him to be a villa player next season so doesn't want him in the shop window... Which would be a bit silly, but we ARE villa after all, silly comes with the territory

Maybe Sherwood wants him to be a villa player next season so doesn't want him in the shop window... Which would be a bit silly, but we ARE villa after all, silly comes with the territory

Hey! That is MY silly idea. I thought of it first.

If it's true then Timmy thought of it first!

• Like 2

Hmmm, not sure about this. Gil looks to me technically gifted so wouldn't be a grafter on the traning field. Soft training to me does not mean shite in a match, Tevez although a different player, was a known lazy trainer, class on match day.

Yeah but, Tevez.

• Like 1

Hmmm, not sure about this. Gil looks to me technically gifted so wouldn't be a grafter on the training field. Soft training to me does not mean shite in a match, Tevez although a different player, was a known lazy trainer, class on match day.

Bit of a sweeping generalization that. If that's the case Barcelona, RM, Bayern, Chelsea and every other team full of technically gifted players don't bother too much in training?

Think Sherwood is going with pace and players who are used to playing in the PL. Gil looks like a good player but it's risky to play him now. I think Sinclair & Zog offer better protection on the flanks when we do not have the ball.

Zog has done well IMO, I am happy for him to continue in the team. If we manage to get safe before the end of the season we will see more of him, or if we are trying to get back into a game. 

Â