Carles Gil

bose

Yeah one person I'd bank on in a relegation battle is N'Zogbia. He's all heart and effort isn't he? That role behind the strikers yesterday seemed tailor made for Gil, I hope he at least gets a chance at the weekend to show Sherwood what he can do. I'd be so disappointed if it didn't work out for Carles. There's still time I guess.

Worried that Sherwood is going to do with Gil what he did with Eriksen at Spurs - shoehorn him into the wings in a flat 4-4-2. Certainly that looks like his preferred set-up.

It worked with Eriksen though because he was effectively given a free role. If he can play Gil in the same way then it is perfectly fine, even in a 4-4-2.

Yep, Eriksen played very well under Sherwood.

It was more Gylfi Sigurdsson he couldn't really fit into the team hence he went back to Swansea and is now their key player.

People seem to be posting that he'll barely play another minute between now and the end of the season, there are 900 minutes + left in the league plus at least 90 in the cup (I can see him starting Saturday for instance.)

Injuries, suspensions, different opposition requiring different tactics, he'll start a few games between now and the end of the season, same for Sanchez.

He'll play this weekend I'd imagine. If he doesn't then I'll raise an eyebrow as to what he has done wrong. I don't care about him not having played Tuesday considering we won and his replacement had a solid game. If I complained at that then it would just be blind faboyism towards Gil lol. 

Yeah one person I'd bank on in a relegation battle is N'Zogbia. He's all heart and effort isn't he? That role behind the strikers yesterday seemed tailor made for Gil, I hope he at least gets a chance at the weekend to show Sherwood what he can do. I'd be so disappointed if it didn't work out for Carles. There's still time I guess.

Heart and effort aren't things we've seen much from Zog in his time here, but he's strong, which Gil is not. Also, I saw a lot of effort from Zog against WBA, which may be down to Sherwood.

Well he almost single handedly kept Wigan up... :)

I don't know why people are demanding Gil should be playing. We won the game..

I think Gil will be a big player for us, but make no mistake about it gentleman, we are in the fight of our lives, and I can see why Sherwood went the way he did.

I think Gil will be a big player for us, but make no mistake about it gentleman, we are in the fight of our lives, and I can see why Sherwood went the way he did.

Single handedly kept Wigan up? Or a major factor in why they always struggled? We did well against WBA - but N'Zogbia was a passenger, for mine.

Of all the players we have that could fill the "free" role, Gil seems best suited for it. Yes, he needs to find his feet....

...but - even after 3 years - so does N'Zogbia.

• Like 1

Single handedly kept Wigan up? Or a major factor in why they always struggled? We did well against WBA - but N'Zogbia was a passenger, for mine.

Of all the players we have that could fill the "free" role, Gil seems best suited for it. Yes, he needs to find his feet....

...but - even after 3 years - so does N'Zogbia.

Nope they struggled because they are a small town club with limited resources. 

Yeah you're right Briny, what this team is crying out for is some players who run around a lot but are incapable of delivering any quality. That's definitely the profile we need.r

I suppose you will say they ran around a lot and delivered little quality last night but they got 3 precious points, which was the point I was making - that's the priority just now and Sherwood has to pick the team he thinks will do that.

We played well, and we played reasonably well on Saturday, but in that whole time scored 1 goal from open play. Full respect to Sherwood for the performance last night but there's no question that Gil should have been playing ahead of N'Zogbia.

I'm not fussed which of them plays and find some of the mild uproar amusing....I agree zog has had an age to prove himself without doing so....but that was then. You, me, nobody, knows whether that will remain the case...some players may well play better now....some worse....different manager, different requirements etc.

But what I find genuinely funny is your observation regarding " only one goal from open play".......like with gil or anyone else we were scoring goals from open play before !!

Gil certainly has skill, and I can see why people fancy him playing, but its not like we left out George best, its not like he has created loads of goals, and there arema y foreign imports who can struggle to get up to speed....not saying he shouldn't play but seems a lot of fuss over not a lot.

Fwiw I thought zog was indifferent at times but did some good stuff..... he certainly did more than anyone was doing a few weeks back.

That West Brom result was an exact flip of the Stoke game.

1-1, game dying out into a draw, we got a pen because of an error.

Gil should have started, we would have been a better side with him on the pitch.

Just because we nicked a 2-1 doesn't mean to team selection couldn't have been better.

Needs to play more.

Needs to be in the squad simple for me. Im still thinking he has a few niggles and is why he wasn't so good against stoke. I think a player like Gil needs to be 100% an maybe Sherwood is waiting for this. I certainly wouldn't be leaving a fully fit Gil out of this squad at any time.

I do sometimes wish that people would understand that FIRST IMPRESSIONS DO NOT MATTER. Gil looked amazing when he started for us and scored a worldie, he's looked good with quick feet but he has never been anything special throughout his career, anyone think that maybe, just maybe he's not all that special? I understand that as an unknown entity and having made a spectacular start we all hope he'll be the next Silva, but lets not forget Emile Heskey scored a brilliant goal in his debut for us as well, Milan Baros too, Stephan and Luke Moore both looked like being superb players when they first broke in.

It is possible that Gil is simply not good enough - I hope its not the case as I have been really impressed when I've seen him play, but it is definitely a possibility that he is worse than N'Zogbia who has also had a few spectacular games in his career (more than Gil, in actual fact)

Why not wait and see how he goes? Rather than simply deciding he is the best player to grace the VP pitch in years and our manager is obviously deluded for not playing him?

I do sometimes wish that people would understand that FIRST IMPRESSIONS DO NOT MATTER.

Wait, are you suggesting, with devilish subtlety, that first impressions do not ... in fact ... matter?

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

To say Gil SHOULD have played is absolutely laughable.

Not that laughable. Is there a point along your Great Continuum X Axis of Laughability that lies somewhere between, say, "faintly risible" and "absolutely laughable"? I would actually place the phrase "Gil SHOULD have played" a few inches to the left of "faintly risible," to be honest, somewhere in the vicinity of "potentially amusing" and "more or less unfunny."

• Like 2

He was brought into the squad to be the creative midfielder we have been gagging for, for years. The few games he has played he has looked quality and does what it says on the tin, creates. To not use him now is just proof maybe that we never actually needed creativity and this squad can do without, or so Sherwood believes, personally I think without him we may win games which ultimately is the goal, but we will lack the spark to do it convincingly.

Â