Carles Gil

bose

The great player assessment is always a chestnut.....George best was a great player, so was Duncan Edwards, completely different players.

Carles Gil has undoubted ability on the ball, but he may be seen by the manager as a bit lightweight for the gruelling fight ahead....that stance may change, if we go on a good run and a bit of swagger comes back in to our game.

I think CG could be a victim of horses for courses......just a thought.

May be a bit lightweight, but grealish is no heavy weight and he came on before Gil??

I know that he had a knock that kept him out recently, I wonder, given our depleted squad at present whether he is just on the bench as a precaution and that in an ideal world, he won't play as he needs time to recover?

It seems strange that every other player seems to have had game time under Sherwood apart from Gil

The great player assessment is always a chestnut.....George best was a great player, so was Duncan Edwards, completely different players.

Carles Gil has undoubted ability on the ball, but he may be seen by the manager as a bit lightweight for the gruelling fight ahead....that stance may change, if we go on a good run and a bit of swagger comes back in to our game.

I think CG could be a victim of horses for courses......just a thought.

May be a bit lightweight, but grealish is no heavy weight and he came on before Gil??

Yeah, he did.

Set up the goal that killed the tie FWIW.

• Like 1

Crackpot theory alert:

Sherwood maybe sees Gil as by far our best player, and might be planning to use Gil as little as possible this season to keep him out of the shop window for now.

More realistic alternative A: He knows what Gil can do, but wants to see if he can get the likes of Zog doing a bit of it too.

More realistic alternative B: He doesn't rate him.

Hope it isn't B.

We win two games on the bounce and everyone now needs to obsess why a player who has been at the club a matter of months isn't playing games.

I don't mean to insult the lad, but did Gil suddenly become Messi?

Did we spend £10m on this kid?

What is the issue here??

He signed a four and a half year contract, and he has been here two months?

Nobody has a devine right come here and walk into the team.

He we had just lost in the league and got kicked out of the FA cup I would have been asking questions, or at least expecting Sherwood to change it up and give the kid his chance.

We didn't, we won both games.

So Gil has to work himself into the team, and N'Zogbia has to bust a bollock to keep him out ( which he did)

Options. Competition. For once. Happy days, Enjoy it.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

Crackpot theory alert:

Sherwood maybe sees Gil as by far our best player, and might be planning to use Gil as little as possible this season to keep him out of the shop window for now.

More realistic alternative A: He knows what Gil can do, but wants to see if he can get the likes of Zog doing a bit of it too.

Hope it isn't B.

We win two games on the bounce and eberyone now needs to obsess why a player who has been at the club a matter of months isn't playing games.

I don't mean to insult the lad, but did Gil suddenly become Messi?

Did we spend £10m on this kid?

What is the issue here??

Well as you say, it's only a few games in so there may be no big issue.

So far, though, I'd say that Gil seems to be the most Messi-like player in the squad and it is a bit of a surprise that he isn't an automatic start.

We may have been slightly mislead by how well Gill started for Villa. If he played like he did against Bournemouth every week he would have made the Valencia starting 11. Sherwood saw him against Stoke and in training and decided he's not ready yet. 

Nobody is an "automatic start", or at least I hope not.

The players need to be earning their places by showing willing in training and delivering on the pitch.

So, draw your own conclusions about Gil.

Edited by briny_ear

In fairness we don't know what he is like in training. I think it was Martin Samuel who said he has known Sherwood for a long time and went to interview him last week and that he prefers Young English players over foreign imports, Oliver Kay from The Times also suggested he rubs up foreign players in a wrong way. It could quite easily be that. I hope this isn't the case as if I'm honest with our budget he will have to look abroad at times; modern management. This might not be the case with Gil but going forward I must admit I am slightly leery of it.

Crackpot theory alert:

Hope it isn't B.

Crackpot Theory C:

Before he came here, we and the media were saying that Gil may just have been the signing to keep us up. A signing that Lambert only recently made.

Then Tim Sherwood comes into the club. Now I like Sherwood but he has an enormous ego and he both a) wants to keep us in the league, and B) wants to do it in a way that has everyone in no doubt that it was down entirely to him.

Now, if he were to keep with the same team as Lambert had been playing but get an extra 10% out of them and we stay  up  -it was largely to do with the team Lambert left for him, new manager bounce, and Gil the saviour.

However, if he mixes it up, brings new players into the fold then it is Tim Sherwood the saviour. Who did it his way.

Thats why I think Gil isnt getting a look in.

Told you it was crackpot  :blink:

• Like 2

Crackpot Theory C:

Before he came here, we and the media were saying that Gil may just have been the signing to keep us up. A signing that Lambert only recently made.

Then Tim Sherwood comes into the club. Now I like Sherwood but he has an enormous ego and he both a) wants to keep us in the league, and B) wants to do it in a way that has everyone in no doubt that it was down entirely to him.

Now, if he were to keep with the same team as Lambert had been playing but get an extra 10% out of them and we stay  up  -it was largely to do with the team Lambert left for him, new manager bounce, and Gil the saviour.

However, if he mixes it up, brings new players into the fold then it is Tim Sherwood the saviour. Who did it his way.

Thats why I think Gil isnt getting a look in.

Told you it was crackpot  :blink:

Sinclair?

In fairness we don't know what he is like in training. I think it was Martin Samuel who said he has known Sherwood for a long time and went to interview him last week and that he prefers Young English players over foreign imports, Oliver Kay from The Times also suggested he rubs up foreign players in a wrong way. It could quite easily be that. I hope this isn't the case as if I'm honest with our budget he will have to look abroad at times; modern management. This might not be the case with Gil but going forward I must admit I am slightly leery of it.

Would love to know how that matches with the fact that he has resurrected Charles N'Zogbia's career and apparently fired him up to play decent football at last.

Or does he not count as a "foreign" player for some reason?

Would love to know how that matches with the fact that he has resurrected Charles N'Zogbia's career and apparently fired him up to play decent football at last.

Or does he not count as a "foreign" player for some reason?

Not that I exactly believe that Sherwood prefers English players over foreign imports, but N'Zogbia has been playing in the PL for like 10 years, maybe Sherwood can't disregard that. 

Nobody is an "automatic start", or at least I hope not.

The players need to be earning their places by showing willing in training and delivering on the pitch.

So, draw your own conclusions about Gil.

I would suggest that this is the truth, mixed with the fact that he's not long coming off an injury. I imagine it's more to do with him just not training as hard as others in his position, though. Hopefully he bucks up, gets his chance and takes it. I'd still start him for most games, though.

I'd like to think that TS has erred on the side of caution here. He's been bought in to keep us in the Prem, so why take risks with players he will be totally unfamiliar with. Gil has'nt suddenly become talentless, but maybe Sherwood has picked the best side he thinks are up to the pressure.

Also worth remembering that half Sherwood's games have been against the same team, and maybe he didn't think Gil was suited to that opposition

3 different teams played out of the 4 played...not sure I see the relevance.

I'm going to go with the theory that quite simply he gets to see the players in training, and knows what he wants to do.  This player definitely looked one of our most interesting in recent times, but like some have already mentioned he didn't exactly cost the earth and whilst we're winning games it's no great loss.

That said, I'm definitely interested in what this boy could do from the few times I've seen him.

Gil should be starting every game IMO.

That is, until he puts in a poor performance, which he still hasn't.

Well he hasn't put in either a good or bad performance for Tim yet right?  New manager, new selection, and presumably he knows what he wants to play and has seen that in the players he's picked thus far.

It's little comfort for Gil, who might be wondering what he's done wrong though.

Â