Carles Gil

bose

Losing games isn't a reflection on every player on the team's performance, especially when two of those games were Arsenal and Chelsea.

In the same way as a player playing in a game we won doesn't necessarily mean they've put a good performance in.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

It also means that no one who played in those matches should be in the lineup now.

My point is that we just won 2 games in a row, whereas we lost however many in a row previously. We can argue that we saw Gil perform well, but I think as things stand I have no issue with him not being in the team if were putting points on the board.

Losing games isn't a reflection on every player on the team's performance, especially when two of those games were Arsenal and Chelsea.

In the same way as a player playing in a game we won doesn't necessarily mean they've put a good performance in.

I agree, completely.

He will play a big part in important games, he has that quality that doesn't come along that often, reminds me of a certain Benito Carbone and we all know what happened there..... He should get his chance with Jacks ban

My point is that we just won 2 games in a row, whereas we lost however many in a row previously. We can argue that we saw Gil perform well, but I think as things stand I have no issue with him not being in the team if were putting points on the board.

That has to be right. If Sherwood has found a winning formula it seems perverse to be asking him to break it up on principle, in particular because Gil - even though some are starting to mention him in the same breath as Messi and Tevez - is a relatively untried and unknown factor.

I agree with the general principle. But just because you're winning doesn't mean you can't improve.

Otherwise teams would never make any changes until they lost.

N'Zogbia has done ok so I'm inclined to agree that we should keep it that way. 

But had N'Zogbia not played well and we'd still won I wouldn't be advocating keeping the same team just because we won.

• Like 3

I agree with the general principle. But just because you're winning doesn't mean you can't improve.

Otherwise teams would never make any changes until they lost.

N'Zogbia has done ok so I'm inclined to agree that we should keep it that way. 

But had N'Zogbia not played well and we'd still won I wouldn't be advocating keeping the same team just because we won.

100% agree - I'm not saying I don't want Gil to play, I enjoy watching him play and I think he could turn out to be a very, very good player (from what we've seen).

However, would I change it up after winning two games and arguably improving for the two games before them, JUST because I enjoy watching Gil play? Not a chance. N'Zogbia would be the player to be dropped and it wouldn't do his confidence any favours, and with him being the type of player who feeds off confidence, I don't think he will or should be dropped for Gil (as things stand).

As I've said previously, the fact this conversation is even happening is remarkable and definitely a positive!

As I've said previously, the fact this conversation is even happening is remarkable and definitely a positive!

Indeed, who'd have funked it? Would never have thought we'd be split over who should play, gil or zog only a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

Surprised Andi came on instead of him today. 

I still think he's got to be our most creative player. Maybe not relegation fight material but could have gotten some time today. 

Might have been nice to see him come on for Zog, but under the circumstances I think Weimann was the right call given the energy he gives the team - he's a runner, which is what you need to see the game out. 

Unfortunately for Gil, Zog has hit some form and it's his shirt to lose now. Good for everyone involved, two player fighting for a position is what we have been missing for a long time now. Long may it continue. Competition is great for a squad. 

• Like 1

Might have been nice to see him come on for Zog, but under the circumstances I think Weimann was the right call given the energy he gives the team - he's a runner, which is what you need to see the game out.

I felt Weimann's particular brand of energy was the opposite of what we needed in the position Charles had been playing and Gil should've come on instead. Our possession started dropping a bit and S'land created a few chances after Zog went off (even moreso when Benteke was subbed; RHM probably should've come on for Sinclair, unless Tim is trying to keep CB a bit riled up), Gil likely would've been better for keeping and using the ball intelligently in seeing the game out.

Needs to be playing. Not nice to be signed from another country and just sat on the bench. There is no doubt he has quality, personally I think he should have been a straight swap today for a knackered Zog, bringing the youth on or Weimann before him is a bit of a kick in the bollocks, my only negative against Sherwood. He obviously don't fancy him as part of the squad right now, but for me he shouldn't be being held back due to Grealish e.c.t.

Ok there is the argument that we are winning, which ideed is a good one. But you have to admit if we wasn't, there would be a bigger issue why he isn't getting game time.

Whilst we're winning and playing well it's hard to argue a case for him tbh. 

As much as I want him to play, and I really really do, he needs to earn that place.

I guess I feel a little sorry for him because he's moved here probably on the promise of first team football from Lambert. Now it's all changed for him before he really had chance to show what he can do. He could have just sat on the bench in Valencia, least it's a bit hotter there...

Edited by PieFacE

Whilst we're winning and playing well it's hard to argue a case for him tbh. 

As much as I want him to play, and I really really do, he needs to earn that place.

I guess I feel a little sorry for him because he's moved here probably on the promise of first team football from Lambert. Now it's all changed for him before he really had chance to show what he can do. He could have just sat on the bench in Valencia, least it's a bit hotter there...

He doesn't really look like a player that wouldn't perform at 100% during training. I hoping Sherwood will be asked the question.

I've said it before, we'll see a lot more of this kid next year. For the moment, Sherwoods been given a brief to keep us up and he's going with what he knows and with players he will be familiar with. Its sensible really, given our precarious position, but if he is manager next season then it will be a whole different story.

Gils not daft, he will wait his chance.

Â