Carles Gil

bose

He'll get his chance again, Gil, Grealish and Sinclair all togther as a 3 behind a firing benteke would be pretty good. I know Sinclair was poor the other day as well but he's certainly shown promise and longer term (if we can sign Sinclair) a 3 are better options than Cole or Zog.

Yeah you're right Briny, what this team is crying out for is some players who run around a lot but are incapable of delivering any quality. That's definitely the profile we need.r

I suppose you will say they ran around a lot and delivered little quality last night but they got 3 precious points, which was the point I was making - that's the priority just now and Sherwood has to pick the team he thinks will do that. Edited by briny_ear

Yeah you're right Briny, what this team is crying out for is some players who run around a lot but are incapable of delivering any quality. That's definitely the profile we need.r

I suppose you will say they ran around a lot and delivered little quality last night but they got 3 precious points, which was the point I was making - that's the priority just now and Sherwood has to pick the team he thinks will do that.

We played well, and we played reasonably well on Saturday, but in that whole time scored 1 goal from open play. Full respect to Sherwood for the performance last night but there's no question that Gil should have been playing ahead of N'Zogbia. 

• Like 2

His replacement was Zog who was very good yesterday.

On paper, madness

Post match, correct.

I think he will play Saturday maybe we will completely change shape to shake things up a bit more.

Maybe 4-5-1

t there's no question that Gil should have been playing ahead of N'Zogbia. 

What information do you have to base that judgment on?

The manager sees these players every day in training, he is assessing who is best able to deliver his desired style of football, and he chose N'Zogbia. To say there's "no question" that Gil should have started is just puzzling. Did Sherwood have a lapse of memory, perhaps?

• Like 1

The manager sees these players every day in training, he is assessing who is best able to deliver his desired style of football, and he chose N'Zogbia. To say there's "no question" that Gil should have started is just puzzling. Did Sherwood have a lapse of memory, perhaps?

By this logic we should never ever question any manager's decision when it comes to picking the team.

• Like 3

Carl will play his part, I have no doubt about it.

This  :excl:

No doubt. TS assessing his squad in matches and every player has/had/will have the same chance. NZog or Bac, may be Cole too. Fair assessment is the key.

• Like 1

Based on their Aston Villa careers to date, there is absolutely no question who should have been playing. Personally I think that's more important than training performances. In any case, do you really believe that N'Zogbia would have been tearing it up in training? Can't see it. I think N'Zogbia was picked because Sherwood thinks he's more direct, and maybe Gil is used to training in a different way. I think that is a massive mistake given the gulf in class between to two. Free role for Gil last night would've suited him to the ground. 

• Like 1

Maybe this guys attitude in training just isn't great. I mean we only see him as the one man dynamo that makes things happen with style and technical ability, but we don't know what he's like off the field or in training. Maybe Sherwood is still trying to figure out his strengths and weaknesses, but maybe he's just up himself and arrogant which hasn't impressed Sherwood. I'm sure we'll never truly find out but all I know is since Sherwood has arrived he hasn't played despite his ability..

Has to play ahead of the likes of Charles Insomnia.

He comes on against Liverpool and was the best player on the pitch regardless of team, he scores a wonder goal in the cup and does very well in the home game against Chelsea.

The lad has lots of quality and is the only player in the squad with genuine creativity, vision and guile on the ball. It would be absolute madness not to give this guy a nailed on starting role. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Tom Fox told Howard Hodgson yesterday that TS does not fancy Gil right now for the relegation battle.  Too lightweight.  From the gist of it, it seems TS was not impressed with Gil against Stoke.

I imagine he will play a key role next season though if we stay up.

To be honest I think he will play a part until the end of season, probably won't be first choice but he has the quality to force himself to become first choice.

Loaning or selling him would be a huge mistake if it ever came to it though. Hopefully he isn't put out wide either.

Just needs to be patient.

I'm sure we'll see him in the near future. He brings more creativity than any other player and if we're to play "like we're not in a relegation battle" (paraphrasing dear Tim here) then he has the qualities needed to outplay opposition when we are controlling a game. Surely Tim is aware of this and will apply when seen fit.

Tom Fox told Howard Hodgson yesterday that TS does not fancy Gil right now for the relegation battle. Too lightweight. From the gist of it, it seems TS was not impressed with Gil against Stoke.

I imagine he will play a key role next season though if we stay up.

Pretty much sums up what I thought had happened. Gil got overpowered a fair bit against Stoke which wasn't all his fault, it was the way the team was set out. When trying to create things he came up against N'Zonzi a few times, he had no chance physically with little help.

Hopefully he still has a big role to play this season and certainly next season if we stay up.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC

Â