Carles Gil

bose

Gil was poor against stoke and if hes not up to much in training compared to others then fair enough

I don't really give a shit what he's doing in training, he's got more ability than any of our other attacking players besides Benteke. What we lacked on Saturday was quality in the final third - he's the man to bring it. Has to play, has to. 

I agree and Sherwood should realise this but if prefers to hope that he can rewind the clock with Nzog then he's destined for failure. 

Worried that Sherwood is going to do with Gil what he did with Eriksen at Spurs - shoehorn him into the wings in a flat 4-4-2. Certainly that looks like his preferred set-up.

Again, this just reveals how much of a mess has been made of the decisions at the top level this season. If we were gonna get a manager in who likes to play the game like this, he should have been brought in before the transfer the window so he could sign players that better suit the way we were going to play going forward. Feel sorry for Gil too, who is now likely going to see his playing time reduced and is in a team that no longer plays to his strengths.

Hopefully Sherwood has more strings to his bow than I'm giving him credit for, but I have a sneaking suspicion Gil isn't going to be a major player for the rest of the season.

Worried that Sherwood is going to do with Gil what he did with Eriksen at Spurs - shoehorn him into the wings in a flat 4-4-2. Certainly that looks like his preferred set-up.

Again, this just reveals how much of a mess has been made of the decisions at the top level this season. If we were gonna get a manager in who likes to play the game like this, he should have been brought in before the transfer the window so he could sign players that better suit the way we were going to play going forward. Feel sorry for Gil too, who is now likely going to see his playing time reduced and is in a team that no longer plays to his strengths.

Hopefully Sherwood has more strings to his bow than I'm giving him credit for, but I have a sneaking suspicion Gil isn't going to be a major player for the rest of the season.

Totally agree.

I've long given up on ever seeing a manager pick our best XI.

I'm not really worried about him playing westwood or Gabby ahead of Gil, at least they play different positions.

I'm more annoyed when he's playing NZogbia and Andi instead of Gil.

• Like 1

It worked with Eriksen though because he was effectively given a free role. If he can play Gil in the same way then it is perfectly fine, even in a 4-4-2.

OK, so we don't care if Gil was poor in his last match, or if he hasn't been looking good in training.

He should play anyway, regardless of form of training performance.

Does that apply to all the squad? Will be hard to trick the ref into allowing 25+ players on the pitch.

What we need now is players who will kill and die for the cause - if you look at how teams like Palace, Burnley and Hull are playing, that's what they're doing.

It's not pretty, it's largely not skillful but it's gaining points here and there and that is what we desperately need to do.

I have no special knowledge of how Gil is playing at present but I do doubt if he is the ideal choice in a do-or-die relegation dog fight.

It worked with Eriksen though because he was effectively given a free role. If he can play Gil in the same way then it is perfectly fine, even in a 4-4-2.

Fair point actually, for some reason I seemed to remember that it hindered him when the opposite was true. Eriksen got basically all of his goals and assists that season under Sherwood last season.

Still remain doubtful Gil will benefit in the same manner, or even be allowed that freedom in the same manner though.

OK, so we don't care if Gil was poor in his last match, or if he hasn't been looking good in training.

He should play anyway, regardless of form of training performance.

Does that apply to all the squad? Will be hard to trick the ref into allowing 25+ players on the pitch.

What we need now is players who will kill and die for the cause - if you look at how teams like Palace, Burnley and Hull are playing, that's what they're doing.

It's not pretty, it's largely not skillful but it's gaining points here and there and that is what we desperately need to do.

I have no special knowledge of how Gil is playing at present but I do doubt if he is the ideal choice in a do-or-die relegation dog fight.

Yeah you're right Briny, what this team is crying out for is some players who run around a lot but are incapable of delivering any quality. That's definitely the profile we need. 

Was he that much poorer than everyone else against Stoke? Really?

We need goals not a team full of Alex Rae's.

He was bloody awful and totally ineffective

He was still better than gabby and weimann and better than NZogbia has ever been. Yet they're getting games.

Gil needs to play. Its absolutely mental that for once we've got a player who can actually make things happen and we're not using him

• Like 1

Still remain doubtful Gil will benefit in the same manner, or even be allowed that freedom in the same manner though.

I fear the same. He certainly isn't an orthodox winger and he spent too much time near the touchline unable to influence play against Stoke I felt. When he did come centrally it was around the halfway line rather than inbetween the lines. Whether that was due to instruction or not is unclear at this point. Seeing as he is the only player in the team that can list things like genuine skill, close-control and ability to dribble past one or two opposition players amongst his attributes, Sherwood is a fool if he doesn't utilise him in some way. Hopefully he will tonight.

Edited by Isa

He was still better than gabby and weimann and better than NZogbia has ever been. Yet they're getting games.

Gil needs to play. Its absolutely mental that for once we've got a player who can actually make things happen and we're not using him

I'd play Gil, Joe Cole and Nzogbia behind Benteke in a 4-2-3-1 and have them all interchanging. Cole when fit is class, Gil has shown some promise and well Nzogbia is just unpredicatable but at least he will run at people. I'd leave Andi and Gabby on the bench

I want to see him play, but if there is legitimate competition for starting jobs right now, it can only be a good thing. Clearly Sherwood is picking his team based on training and current opponent. I expect to see Gil play a big role still this season.

• Like 2

Â