Carles Gil

bose

So if he was fit enough to play 20-30 mins why didn't he play him? No one is saying to start him, just to give him some minutes. 

If we assume you're correct that Sherwood didn't believe adding creativity to a game that we were losing, and frankly needed to go all out on the attack in order to salvage something, then I'd be very worried about Tim Sherwood as manager.

In other words, how the hell could adding creativity harm us when a goal down in a vital game? Seems a bit of a dumb point to me. If he was a 'liability' in deep positions then don't bloody play in him deep positions, play him off the forward and give him the freedom to, ya know, create. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Excellent post Dr Pangloss. Gil shouldn't be tasked with tracking back, that's obviously not one of his traits. But, attacking players, gliding passed them, trying to create chances and having shots from around the box, are all his traits and, therefore, is what he should be asked to do. Leave the tracking back to those more suitable!

• Like 1

Am I just remembering wrong that he was virtually marked out of the game against Stoke? He hasn't played many minutes for Villa yet so I think the assumptions being made here that he is automatic first choice and an obvious match winner are a little shaky.

Played too wide against Stoke.

We need to play him in the same position that Spuds play Ericksson and Citeeeeh play Silva.He is our only midfielder who can create, and we need to build the team around him.

The problem with that is if Sherwood persists with the 4-4-2, having him in midfield leaves a lot of work for the other midfielder to do

Don't play 4-4-2 then.

Play Gil, and probably Sinclair, off CB, and play a midfield that has energy, pace, and aggression behind them.

I would play Delph Sanchez and Bacuna, and Gil , Sinclair and CB until the end of the season.I don't see much other option.

• Like 1

We need to play him in the same position that Spuds play Ericksson and Citeeeeh play Silva.He is our only midfielder who can create, and we need to build the team around him.

The problem with that is if Sherwood persists with the 4-4-2, having him in midfield leaves a lot of work for the other midfielder to do

We didn't quite set up as a 442 on Saturday did we? Was quite difficult to work it out but I saw it as 433, otherwise who was on RM - Cleverley? 

We didn't quite set up as a 442 on Saturday did we? Was quite difficult to work it out but I saw it as 433, otherwise who was on RM - Cleverley? 

We did.

Occasionally Sinclair joined the attack and it seemed to be Benteke who moved right (whereas you'd assume it would be Gabby) and it sort of made a 4-3-3

But mostly it was 4-4-2. Yes Cleverley was very much playing on the right

Gil has to play. All the bloody time.

He's one of about three players who can control and pass the ball in our team.

I'd drop Benteke before him.

If he's bit part, and we go down, I'll be pissed off as well as gutted because he's a player who can open teams up on his own.

• Like 1

We did.

Occasionally Sinclair joined the attack and it seemed to be Benteke who moved right (whereas you'd assume it would be Gabby) and it sort of made a 4-3-3

But mostly it was 4-4-2. Yes Cleverley was very much playing on the right

Indeed it was a 4-4-2, a largely ineffectual one.

ASTv_NEW.png

I really really hope he at least plays Gil up front if he wants to stick with it.

Where did you get that?

I've been looking everywhere for easily available average position charts but can't find them. I usually have to go all Con and use a heat map!

If he has been struggling somewhat fitness-wise, it's possible that Sherwood decided against playing him at the weekend with a view to this game. He must start if we are to have any hope of picking the lock tomorrow.

• Like 1

Where did you get that?

I've been looking everywhere for easily available average position charts but can't find them. I usually have to go all Con and use a heat map!

Heat maps have their place, there's an entertaining Adam Johnson one floating around Twitter at the moment.

Got this from an Opta feed at work, you have to pay for it sadly.

• Like 1

Gil will play. Sherwood knows he is the player who will produce. Probably just a minor injury. 

He doesn't have an injury, Sherwood didn't pick him because he's come from Spain and probably wasn't showing enough good old English passion in training.

He needs to be playing the home games.

I know we're in a difficult situation but this is the sort of playmaker we've been crying out for years in home games and certainly WBA will park the bus tommorrow night.

Away from home I can understand Sherwood being a bit more cautious and going for the pace option as that has served us well over the last few years.

Â