Carles Gil

bose

Tim said that he came off because of some tightness in his groin (I assume partially caused by memory of facials), and that it was a result of where he is with fitness.

I genuinely can't wait for him to be back in the side, I'm not expecting him to be messi, but he showed ability from what I've seen and set up the goal for grealish in the U21s apparently. He's shown a great attitude (one that you would expect, but that a lot of players might not have had). Come on Carles :)

me too, love this guy, but where will he play. TS has said he sees him as a number 10 and we haven't bought a new number 10 because TS wants to give Gil a chance, but we are playing 4-3-3 right now, so where does a 10 fit into that formation?

So we either play him RW in a 4-3-3 where he may not be at his best, or change our formation to 4-4-1-1 like against UTD and he plays behind a front man. 

My preference would be a 4-2-3-1. That way, when fit, we could include Jack and Adama wide of Gil, and then we are not over stretching in CM with Sanchez and Veretout on the bench offering cover. 

• Like 2

me too, love this guy, but where will he play. TS has said he sees him as a number 10 and we haven't bought a new number 10 because TS wants to give Gil a chance, but we are playing 4-3-3 right now, so where does a 10 fit into that formation?

So we either play him RW in a 4-3-3 where he may not be at his best, or change our formation to 4-4-1-1 like against UTD and he plays behind a front man. 

My preference would be a 4-2-3-1. That way, when fit, we could include Jack and Adama wide of Gil, and then we are not over stretching in CM with Sanchez and Veretout on the bench offering cover.

THIS

4231 seems perfect for us right now. Gana and Westwood as the two, Gil, adama and Grealish behind the lone front man

• Like 3

Yeah that formation would be fantastic to see.  

I'm still really pleased that after all the conspiracy chat and general pant-wetting, Gil is set to be a major part of Tim's plans from the sound of things.  Very excited about getting them all fit and seeing what this teams true potential is.

4231 appears to be the best formation for us as well.  That would give us proper depth at CM right now (Gana/Westy/Sanchez/Veretout as the 2).  Then we have plenty of options for the 3 to play behind a target man (Gestede/Kozak/Adebayor?).  The 3 can be any combination of Adama/Grealish/Sinclair/Gabby/Gil/Ayew/NZog

UTV!

How about the Christmas tree formation with Grealish and Gil playing as two #10's and Rudy/Gabby/Ayew/?? up front.   Allows use of 3 of  Westwood, Gana, Veretout and Sanchez to prevent being overrun in the middle.  Sanchez if needing more steel, Veretout if needing impetus going forward and switch back and forth between 4321 and 4231 if necessary.   Width from fullbacks.  Take off Gil and put on Adama and go to 433 if the 4321/4231 isn't working and fullbacks are needed to focus more on defending.

• Like 1

4231 for me too....but recognising that it depends on the opposition too.

That's true but we don't really have too many options to change things around.

Midfield has been improved from last year, not because we can now defend but because we can hold the ball a little better and players can dribble past a man. That's not helpful for changing tactics but it does mean whoever we play against will have less chance of bullying us without fouling/over-committing, hopefully that's pertinent in any success or tactical variation.

Up front we've had the same problem with tactical variety, nobody who goes wide, but we've also lacked technical quality. Perhaps a 4231 with these three creative players is the right option. I feel Traore wanting to go wide (Tim letting him), Gil who always takes on man to find space for a pass or shot, and Grealish who is showing signs of good development is an interesting balance of players. Two+ technical players will be really helpful, especially as without Traore we'll lack natural width.

I'm certain Gil is the more mature in terms of reading the game. He also has clinical qualities in finishing and passing which will get the best from those around him, even Gabby. I can't wait to see him play alongside Traore and maybe even Grealish. It's exciting to have attacking players who like Tekkers can take a first touch as quickly as they can move away with it.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

I don't think those 3 in a 4-2-3-1 will work very well. They're all slight, under 23 and none of them offer anything defensively from what I can see. That formation, in addition to leaving out both Veretout and Ayew, which seems a little unlikely, offers no protection to the fullbacks, which is likely to mean Gana and Westwood being pulled out of position - and Westwood isn't strong defensively either. 

I think a 4-3-2-1 will allow Tim to play more of the players he wants:

-----------------Guzan------------------

-Bacuna--Richards--Clark--Amavi-

----Veretout---Westwood--Gana----

------------Gil---------Grealish---------

----------------Gestede------------------

is one possibility, though Veretout isn't physically ready for the demands of the position yet (which is a lot, Gana and Veretout in that formation will have a lot of pitch to cover) so probably one for the future. 

• Like 2

How about the Christmas tree formation with Grealish and Gil playing as two #10's and Rudy/Gabby/Ayew/?? up front.   Allows use of 3 of  Westwood, Gana, Veretout and Sanchez to prevent being overrun in the middle.  Sanchez if needing more steel, Veretout if needing impetus going forward and switch back and forth between 4321 and 4231 if necessary.   Width from fullbacks.  Take off Gil and put on Adama and go to 433 if the 4321/4231 isn't working and fullbacks are needed to focus more on defending.

4231 for me too....but recognising that it depends on the opposition too.

Exactly.. Week by week, game by game the right tactics and formation required will vary. Injuries, form of not just us but our opponents will all play a part in deciding the best way to approach each game individually. Plus during every game all teams will transition continually between 2 or 3 formations, sometimes more dependent on the scenario. Say for instance your defending your opponents possession out wide, all of a sudden your 4-2-3-1 turns into a 4-5-1 etc.

Anyway back to Carles, Hope he is back soon as I think he has been sorely missed!!

• Like 1

52051029.jpg

Sherwood said he had a job to do. To keep us up. He needed people he trusted. Horses for courses. He kept us up. Now Carles is back in the fold. Seemples.  Not bizarre.  Just a man with a remit who delivered on it by hook or by crook.

• Like 3

52051029.jpg

Sherwood said he had a job to do. To keep us up. He needed people he trusted. Horses for courses. He kept us up. Now Carles is back in the fold. Seemples.  Not bizarre.  Just a man with a remit who delivered on it by hook or by crook.

Nah it's pretty peculiar. Don't really want to get back into this debate but he'd have been a much better option that N'Zogbia.

Anyway glad Tim has seen the light, really thought he might be off this summer and I think we'll all be grateful that he's not pretty soon.

Edited by PatrickCousens
  • Like 1

I think Tim preferred N'Zogbia last season because he had experience with relegation fights and N'Zogbia knew that in certain moments of the match, it would be best to do certain things such as maintain possession versus making a risky pass. It was Gil's first season under a manager that has never experienced a relegation scrap, so it's no surprise Tim went with experienced players. This season Tim had a preseason to fully evaluate the squad and he finally saw that Gil is quality whereas Charles is not. 

It may have been a fitness thing last year? I'm sure Sherwood said when he got here the players weren't as fit as they should have been? 

Sherwood's mandate last year was to survive. We survived.  

This season is a new chapter and I'm looking forward to seeing how Gil contributes to the team

Â