Carles Gil

bose

Any idea when he is due back?

He's back in training. Looks like it's just a fitness issue / Sherwood not wanting to risk him. Should be back in the squad soon IMO.

Not wanting to risk him you say? In before the conspiracy theories......

Quite a turn around in opinion by Tim from not thinking he's good enough for the bench last season to now saying in a post match interview he is what we are missing. I think he will walk into the starting lineup when fit.

Good on Tim to give Gil a real chance at proving himself. Good on Gil to not just give up and ask for a transfer like a lot of footballers would. Gil seems to have the drive to succeed or the "winning" mentality we need. 

He's definitely going to play a part. I don't see how we can accommodate both him and Grealish in the same team, so I suspect it will be one or the other most of time, unless we start playing the two no.10s formation again. But then that doesn't leave room for wide players (Sinclair, Adama, Ayew) to supply Gestede.....

If he's fit, I think he will start against Palace.

Edited by GeordieVillan

It is quite a connundrum to work out where to play Traore, Gil and Grealish when all fit and ready.

Sherwood seemed to suggest that Gil would/could potentially play behind the striker.

Even though Grealish isn't a winger he does seem to play more wide left and cut inside. Gil seems to start more centrally and float anywhere across midfield.

Traore seems to be an out and out winger, but i'm sure he can play other roles.

Sinclair, Ayew and Gabby all seem to have similar attributes, not quite wingers, not quite strikers. I personally feel Gabby is more effective as a winger and I doesn't mean i think Ayew and Sinclair have plenty to offer, the former we've not seen the best of yet. Just hard to piece them all together especially if we continue with a three man midfield.

It's a good dilemma to have though.

Â