Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not really, athletes like footballers, rugby players, cricketers, tennis players etc are providing entertainment, often a couple of hours worth. Greg Rutherford for example has a life that consists of running about 50m and then jumping as far as he can. It takes about 8 seconds per jump I guess. Fair play to him, there are far worse ways to make a living from his point of view... but for me, if all track and field was scrapped then it wouldn't be a loss at all.

Yeah, those athletics events that just consist of the long jump really suck. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

Track and Field, whats the point? I just don't get it. And what about the athletes, their entire life/job/career involves running from point A to point B. That's it. Or the guy who has to throw a ball or another guy who has to jump as far as he can???? What a pathetic existance really.

Its not even like other sports like football, tennis, rugby that are entertaining to watch for a couple of hours. The entire event of someone's shot put day might amount to throwing a ball 15 meters about 3 or 4 times onto a piece of grass....

Even the showpiece, the 100m sprint. All over in less than 10 seconds and its just 8 people running in a straight line. Who actually cares?

Track and field are arguably the original and purest form of sport.  Pushing the limits of what the human body is physically able to do, comparing oneself to others.   No fancy equipment, no complicated rules, no leagues, no corrupting influence of money when it first started.   Just a competition to see who is the best athlete in certain categories.   Although money, performance enhancing drugs and politics, particularly during Olympic games, have tarnished the whole thing a bit, I still enjoy seeing who is the best.   Certainly a lot more interesting and more of a "sport" than auto racing, particularly the oval track kind, where the car, the mechanics, the pit crew all play as much of a role as the athleticism of the driver.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Track and field are arguably the original and purest form of sport. 

I would say Boxing for the purest form of sport.

My reasoning is that,  anyone can run and jump & there is no risk to self.  Boxing on the other hand,  have a bad day and kop one wrong and you will be in pain or dead.

Isn't the idea that sport, is just a replacement for the exercise that we used to get when we (human beings) were hunter gatherers. If there's any truth to that then I'd say that running is the purest form of sport, long or short distance.

• Like 1

I'd say running is the purest sport because nearly everyone can compete in some way, minimum amount of equipment needed. 

Also with a lot of running and other track and field events, whilst you are competing  against others, you're also competing against yourself which I think adds to the "purity" of it *. A discuss thrower isn't being impeded by another discuss thrower as they take part. They're just trying to throw it as far as they can-it's being the best you can be regardless of what anyone else can do.

*This makes darts one of the purest sports too ;)

• Like 1

There's always something dodgy about sports, in that they are all used to instil a work-ethic into the proletariat (Tour de France) or celebrate the ethics of the martial caste (marathon).

Football was started for the proles by churches in an effort to give the boys something to do, in the hope that they would cut down on the boozing and the wanking: it obviously didn't work but that was the idea.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Fluctuating dart skills.

We've got a board outside the khazi at work. You can have a quick throw on a bog run, or whilst waiting for the nearby kettle.

Some days I'll average 66% success rate at staying within the outer bull. Other days it'll take 20 darts to hit it at all.

Hangovers and stuff not withstanding, I just don't get it at all :huh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xann said:

Fluctuating dart skills.

We've got a board outside the khazi at work. You can have a quick throw on a bog run, or whilst waiting for the nearby kettle.

Some days I'll average 66% success rate at staying within the outer bull. Other days it'll take 20 darts to hit it at all.

Hangovers and stuff not withstanding, I just don't get it at all :huh:

Snooker and Darts are the best sports

You get to play it in a pub 

Why do some people think that an acceptable way to eat a scone is with cream on first and the Jam slopping around all over the top waiting to fall off. 

How is there even an argument? It's a preposterous way to eat. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why do some people think that an acceptable way to eat a scone is with cream on first and the Jam slopping around all over the top waiting to fall off. 

How is there even an argument? It's a preposterous way to eat. 

Because it is the only way, you uncivilised Cornish-style barbarian. Devon method rules. Huge dollop of thick CLOTTED cream (no other sort will do), make an indentation, add dollop of strawberry jam (preferably homemade). On a homemade scone. 

I should declare an interest here: my wife is from Devon, and makes FANTASTIC scones and jam. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

On 22/06/2016 at 12:49, Genie said:

Track and Field, whats the point? I just don't get it. And what about the athletes, their entire life/job/career involves running from point A to point B. That's it. Or the guy who has to throw a ball or another guy who has to jump as far as he can???? What a pathetic existance really.

Its not even like other sports like football, tennis, rugby that are entertaining to watch for a couple of hours. The entire event of someone's shot put day might amount to throwing a ball 15 meters about 3 or 4 times onto a piece of grass....

Even the showpiece, the 100m sprint. All over in less than 10 seconds and its just 8 people running in a straight line. Who actually cares?

I have a big issue with this. 

I have never had much interest in athletics but my daughter was identified by our local athletics club after winning the solihull schools 100m final by a country mile and is now competing with huge success at County level.  My son has also got involved and I have to marvel at the dedication not only of the kids who,  and I don't think it is any coincidence,  all seem to be a fantastic bunch but all the volunteers who run the clubs,  do the coaching and officiate the competitions. 

As my kids have run in local club relays at the Alexander stadium before the diamond league and the British championships in recent weeks I have attended both events,  being my first live pro athletics meetings and I have to say much to my surprise I find it fascinating. 

What I find most unbelievable and actually sickening is these people as you say are so dedicated,  they spend their lives trying to be the best they can yet if you are say the 20th best sprinter in the UK you will get almost no recognition and hardly any money yet they are utterly driven and dedicated still. 

Now think about the number of UK Footballer's playing in say the top 2 divisions,  thinking about how much money even the youth team players get. . Remember the Chamberlain brothers holding the Baggies to ransom over a new contract?

I bet the 500th best footballer is still a millionaire even if he's not even playing regularly and spends most of his time on the lash in clubs every night. 

I know who I have more respect for. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Because it is the only way, you uncivilised Cornish-style barbarian. Devon method rules. Huge dollop of thick CLOTTED cream (no other sort will do), make an indentation, add dollop of strawberry jam (preferably homemade). On a homemade scone. 

I should declare an interest here: my wife is from Devon, and makes FANTASTIC scones and jam. 

I am holidaying in Devon next month and I shall be putting jam on first as any normal right thinking person does. And is any local Devonish weirdo DARES to try and give me a scone destroyed by raisins there will be hell to pay I can tell you.

BTW it is definitely scone sounds like skown. I mean you don't break windows by throwing stonns do you? 

Â