Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I don't think tuning into the Grand National makes you a horse racing 'fan' though.

I'd be very surprised if that Snooker figure was right.  Surely it's a cumulative figure or something.

By the same argument, does tuning into the Superb Owl or going to a live game at Wembley make you an NFL fan? How many at Wembley were just after a novelty day out or tourists? How do you actually define what a 'fan' is?

That's another one for the things you don't get, why people watch some gobshite watching and talking over a video. Youtube seems insistent on me watching some of these "reactions", no thanks,

"You've watched this music video, so you must want to watch some influencer who belongs in the bin reacting to hearing that song for the FIRST TIME!!!". Nope. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

You can like it, you can't jump for joy or boot your cat up the arse on a saturday afternoon depending on the results

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

By the same argument, does tuning into the Superb Owl or going to a live game at Wembley make you an NFL fan? How many at Wembley were just after a novelty day out or tourists? How do you actually define what a 'fan' is?

I think @rodders0223 nails it. Just watching the occasional game, or saying "My NFL team is the Packers" doesn't make you a fan. It's that thing where you actually care to the point that when they lose it actually upsets you and ruins your weekend. 

For me, that can only ever be Aston Villa. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think @rodders0223 nails it. Just watching the occasional game, or saying "My NFL team is the Packers" doesn't make you a fan. It's that thing where you actually care to the point that when they lose it actually upsets you and ruins your weekend. 

there were a couple of years , when Villa were shit and New Orleans were the best NFL team in the league , that I actually did care more about the NO result than the villa one ... it was inevitable that Villa were going to lose and play badly ..  New Orleans were playing well , to the point they got robbed of a Superbowl by corrupt cheating officials  .. and their defeat would kinda ruin the week more 

now the roles are reversed again  , NO are coached by the NFL equivalent of Steven Gerrard  so defeat is almost inevitable unless you are playing the Panthers ..where as even something like Arsenal stealing an equaliser would have been deflating on Sat .. thankfully the ref knew the rules and they didn't :D 

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nah that's gone for villa for me too now, Gerrard was the final nail in the coffin for villa negatively impacting my mental health

Now they can make me happy and get me buzzing but they can't ruin my weekend 

The whole football as a vent for anger thing has gone for me too now 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t say a weekend is ruined by Villa losing. I can go out and enjoy myself and forget it. But I do become annoyed on occasion. I wake up the following morning and think “Ah yeah, still got to deal with that result today.”

Not been really annoyed for a while though. Stevenage was the last notable time, which was a weird experience as when they scored their second my immediate response was to laugh at how we’d blown it. Genuinely laugh at what happened in an exasperated kinda way. And then over the course of the rest of the night I became more annoyed as the initial shock wore off.

Normally it’s the other way round.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Nah that's gone for villa for me too now, Gerrard was the final nail in the coffin for villa negatively impacting my mental health

Now they can make me happy and get me buzzing but they can't ruin my weekend 

The whole football as a vent for anger thing has gone for me too now 

Enjoy the good times. Ignore the bad times. 

That is how I try and do it now. I can't control sport, so why get mad?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

You all need to be in my world. Step back from football, ALL football and your mental health is absolutely cracking.

Any time in the last decade I'd have agreed with you, but we're bloody brilliant these days!

Edited by Davkaus

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

there were a couple of years , when Villa were shit and New Orleans were the best NFL team in the league , that I actually did care more about the NO result than the villa one ...

I'm afraid that stays firmly on the "Don't Get" pile. 

Mind you, you're not from Birmingham... <ducks> 

Edited by mjmooney

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Any time in the last decade I'd have agreed with you, but we're bloody brilliant these days!

Thats down to me. Once I take an interest it will turn to shit and relegation will beckon. I am doing the lord's work. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Should be renamed Scraping The Barrel 2023 - woeful selection of candidates.

Because they have to be inclusive so inevitably the field is watered down somewhat. 

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Which after the last 15 years we've been so **** miserable. 

Whisky tasting notes. Random genuine example: 

Nose: There's custard notes familiar from the 40% ABV expression, though now paired with more citrus, pear and fudge cubes you get in sea-side sweet shops.

Palate: Toffee chunks with a little bit of dark chocolate hidden inside. A touch of grassy malt and crushed nuts.

Finish: A final hint of caramel and golden malt.

Master of Malt

I bet it actually tastes like... whisky. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Â