Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's about 3 times a year but they are proper season games.

It's a sign of things to come with Villa having a 'home' fixture against Man Utd in Riyadh within the next decade.

Not something I follow tbh so yep, maybe it is now, I'll bow to your knowledge.

16 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Have you got the data to confirm what percentage of the Wembley crowd are American?

I'd also suggest that selling out one stadium once a year doesn't necessarily reflect popularity. If it was sold out 30 or 40 times a year, or multiple stadiums were selling out then possibly but I guess we have different views on what popular means.

Its difficult to get the starting point for this but the wiki says

According to the NFL, only 3% of those attending the London games are Americans or American expatriates, while 22% are from London and 60% from elsewhere in Britain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series

If I get a proper source I will update my post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Yeah that’s why they sell out Wembley every year for a pre-season warm up game

I'm sure there was a stat for one of the games a few years back where there was a ticket applicant from every postcode in the UK (I'm guessing first half of the postcode) 

The 2 germany games had over 1m applicants to each game and sold out in minutes, the demand is mental

And it's all opinions, rugby is men hugging each other on the floor before someone boots it down the pitch, I'd take NFL over it any day of the week

I would lazily guess that the ticket demand for nfl games is higher than say a 6 nation game 

It's similar to wrestling, you're not gonna find a high percentage fans if you start asking everyone on you local high street ,but there are hundreds of thousand across the country.

More than enough to converge on a city for a bi-annual event and sell out a stadium.

17 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

People from England who have NFL and NBA teams.

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

But what about people from the USA who have PL teams (e.g. Aston Villa)? 

whistle-homer.gif

• Like 1

Yeah, as an exciting spectator sport NFL and Baseball baffles me much like F1. 

I'd muchness rather a decent game of cricket though I know that will leave a lot of people baffled too. 

Each to their own. 

If an NFL game was bring held at Villa Park getting a ticket wouldn't even cross my mind same as that motocross thing they had there this year. 

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Should we also not like music that doesn't reflect our geography or life experience? Reggae, country, Ukrainian folk etc?

You can like it, you can't jump for joy or boot your cat up the arse on a saturday afternoon depending on the results

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Should we also not like music that doesn't reflect our geography or life experience? Reggae, country, Ukrainian folk etc?

Cultural appropriation innit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Its difficult to get the starting point for this but the wiki says

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series

If I get a proper source I will update my post.

I'm mainly messing with my replies.

I'd (grudgingly) agree that it is definitely growing in popularity (whilst reserving the right to condemn it's fans).

I'm not sure if say it was actually popular yet though when compared to other sports.

It's nowhere near football, will be behind rugby, cricket, F1, probably behind darts, snooker, horse racing etc in terms of active fans in this country.

17 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm mainly messing with my replies.

I'd (grudgingly) agree that it is definitely growing in popularity (whilst reserving the right to condemn it's fans).

I'm not sure if say it was actually popular yet though when compared to other sports.

It's nowhere near football, will be behind rugby, cricket, F1, probably behind darts, snooker, horse racing etc in terms of active fans in this country.

Purely anecdotally based on people I encounter, I'd say it's in front of the ones bolded.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Purely anecdotally based on people I encounter, I'd say it's in front of the ones bolded.

According to Google (so probably wrong) viewing figures in the UK where the following:

-  Superb owl = 4m people (seems high)

- Grand National = 10m people.

- Snooker Masters = 14.5m people.

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

According to Google (so probably wrong) viewing figures in the UK where the following:

And FA Cup final 8 million.

32 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

They all seem incorrect, overnights for the most popular programmes this year are between 4m and 8m, reaching close to 10/11m on catchup etc. For the snooker final it was between 3.5 and 4m average. The 14.5m was reach across the tournament and therefore could be the same 3.5-4m watching each day. As for the superbowl, consolidated across Sky and Terrestrial, I think its probably closer to 2.5m. (2021 had a total viewership in the UK average of a little over 1m)

Edited by Seat68

18 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I don't think tuning into the Grand National makes you a horse racing 'fan' though.

I'd be very surprised if that Snooker figure was right.  Surely it's a cumulative figure or something.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Should be renamed Scraping The Barrel 2023 - woeful selection of candidates.

TBH, I haven't looked and I never do. Its continued existence is a puzzle to me. It's like the annual 'Most Empathic Sports Car of the Year' awards, or the 'Most Satiny Fighter Plane of the Year' awards. Completely bizarre. Traffic Warden Personality of the Year maybe?

• Like 1

American football is shit, and some of the European basketball games are another level.

Saw Olympiacos pull back 10 points to overhaul Real Madrid and win the Euroleague.

It was sponsored by Turkish Airlines, so an absolutely delicious day for Olympiacos.

Place was rocking. Knew the fans were passionate, but it was a couple of notches up from that.

Â