Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

48 minutes ago, Xann said:

Have home brew setups become better since the bad old days?

I presume so. A mate's missus bought him a home brew kit one Xmas, within 6 months, he'd resigned from his job and set up a brewery.

I had some of the initial batches he made at home and sold to mates and to be fair they were rather good, so good he based his initial 4 beers on them.

And he's still in business about nine years later

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Xann said:

Have home brew setups become better since the bad old days?

In my experience the results are usually much better from someone who has grasped the nuances and fine details of cookery, which in most households is wifey.

So basically a Brewster is preferable to a Brewer. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I presume so. A mate's missus bought him a home brew kit one Xmas, within 6 months, he'd resigned from his job and set up a brewery.

I had some of the initial batches he made at home and sold to mates and to be fair they were rather good, so good he based his initial 4 beers on them.

Did you see the kit?

@fightoffyour's gear looks semi-pro, a million miles from Rotokeg.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Nice kit but here in the UK the term "home brew" usually conjures up the vision of a plastic dustbin wrapped in grandad's old over-coat, giving off the smell of Weetabix.

Your Grandad liked Weetabix then? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think I've said before but I invented Alcopops, a good decade before Hoopers Hooch. 

I'd half fill up an empty 2 litre bottle of lemonade with my Dad's home brew. Then go through their drinks cupboard adding in any spirits I thought I could get away with, then topped the rest up with Soda Stream concentrate. 

Went down a storm at houseparties. 

It was also the ONLY way any of my Dad's home brew got drunk. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Think I've said before but I invented Alcopops, a good decade before Hoopers Hooch. 

I'd half fill up an empty 2 litre bottle of lemonade with my Dad's home brew. Then go through their drinks cupboard adding in any spirits I thought I could get away with, then topped the rest up with Soda Stream concentrate. 

Went down a storm at houseparties. 

It was also the ONLY way any of my Dad's home brew got drunk. 

Add cough syrup and you'd have the Flaming Sidcow

spacer.png

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

At least he will be comfy with all the cushions. Got to be torture though, all those can but no beer.

There's 3 kegs and taps for the beer!

And the cushions, oh man the cushions.

Edited by fightoffyour

My dad used to make home made wine in demi johns from a kit. Never saw a grape in our house.

1/2 a glass on a Sunday lunchtime and the whole family would get along like a house on fire. The added benefit was you could also clean the oven with the stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

My dad used to make home made wine in demi johns from a kit. Never saw a grape in our house.

1/2 a glass on a Sunday lunchtime and the whole family would get along like a house on fire. The added benefit was you could also clean the oven with the stuff.

When I was a kid our street was ‘characterful’.

Each house would be designated a drink to brew, be it a beer or a wine. As mentioned upstream this appeared to consist of pouring powders and water in to a big tub and keeping it warm for a period of time. Come that designated time, the street would be closed off with some dodgy parking and a street party would break out. A street of dockers and factory workers having a home brew street party once every few months.

Grand times.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

When I was a kid our street was ‘characterful’.

Each house would be designated a drink to brew, be it a beer or a wine. As mentioned upstream this appeared to consist of pouring powders and water in to a big tub and keeping it warm for a period of time. Come that designated time, the street would be closed off with some dodgy parking and a street party would break out. A street of dockers and factory workers having a home brew street party once every few months.

Grand times.

Yup the demi - johns would be in the airing cupboard - stank of yeast.

Amazing we drank it!

• Like 1

Â