Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

10 hours ago, osmark86 said:

wdym, zero/low alcohol beer has gotten so much better over the past few years due to improvements and affordability in brewing tech. Many actually taste pretty decent these days.

I like lager/ale/stout to a level, but I prefer the effect it has on me. I'm not too sure if I would drink it, if it was 0% and had no impact. The joy of drinking beer is the warm feeling its gives you. 

Otherwise i'll have a hot chocolate :P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

I used to get a lot of heart palpitations.  Had all the tests done, nothing wrong with me.

stopped drinking caffeinated coffee - no more palpitations.

When I was younger and used to go clubbing, i used to drink a lot, and I mean a lot, of vodka/red bull (or more likely some cheaper energy drink)

Later on when I used to to bed, my heart was always pounding and I could hear/feel the blood rushing around me while in some sort of sleep purgatory. Had to give it up! 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

When I was younger and used to go clubbing, i used to drink a lot, and I mean a lot, of vodka/red bull (or more likely some cheaper energy drink)

Later on when I used to to bed, my heart was always pounding and I could hear/feel the blood rushing around me while in some sort of sleep purgatory. Had to give it up! 

I spent a few years in my younger days on the clubbing scene and partook in all that came with it, if you know what I mean.

A little later in life I was down in London on a stag night and drank pretty much only vodka redbull all night, I felt far worse than I’d ever felt during my clubbing days. It’s some heavy shit man for sure.

• Like 1

I stopped drinking Vodka red bull, not only does it increase your heart rate in large quantities, but it also dehydrates the life out of you too. In the morning feels like you have phlegm stuck in your throat, but its actually your uvula about the size of a marble.

• Like 1

My dad brewed home made wine in demi-johns. One year he didn't vent them properly. We were watching TV, and suddenly one of them exploded and ripped the doors off the cupboard and smashed the window opposite. Needless to say we all shit ourselves😁

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Horror films. 

I know lots of VTers absolutely love this genre, but it does absolutely nothing for me. 

There is the odd notable exception that transcends the genre, and succeeds simply as a great film - The Shining is the prime example. But mostly... meh. 

The Shining sequel movie from a couple of years back, Doctor Sleep, is very good. Cleverly serves as a sequel to both the film and book, and it's really very much worth your time. Particularly the directors cut.

Not really a horror film, but it's quite grim in tone and has a couple of true horror moments. But the whole thing tells a fairly compelling story and it manages to be a sequel that tells it's own tale and brings something from the original.

• Like 1

I don’t like blood and gore horror films.

But I do like more of a psychological horror, in parts something where the horror aspect can be interpreted to mean something else on a more relatable level. Not just “Oh it’s a monster”. 

An example would be something like The Babadook where <spoilers>

Spoiler

It’s really about grief and learning to live with it. 

Spoiler

Although I do like the subsequent gay icon interpretation the character was later given.

. Even if I don’t think that film completely holds together, I enjoy the idea of it. 

Horror is like any other genre of film, it has some very good movies and some very, very bad ones.

If like me you have a love for the genre, and know which writers, directors and actors to keep an eye on and do a little bit of digging/research then you'll find some absolutely brilliant stuff.

Same sort of thing that applies to genres of music I suppose.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Horror is like any other genre of film, it has some very good movies and some very, very bad ones.

If like me you have a love for the genre, and know which writers, directors and actors to keep an eye on and do a little bit of digging/research then you'll find some absolutely brilliant stuff.

Same sort of thing that applies to genres of music I suppose.

I agree, but what I would say is I think horror is a genre that is easy to do badly. And there's not really any saving graces to a horror when that happens.

It probably just makes a bad horror more noticeable

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree, but what I would say is I think horror is a genre that is easy to do badly.

Completely agree. Very similar to comedy in that respect. Which is why it's always a beautiful thing when you find an off the beaten track gem (as I've done many times).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Completely agree. Very similar to comedy in that respect. Which is why it's always a beautiful thing when you find an off the beaten track gem (as I've done many times).

Speaking of which, I watched American Psycho 2 on the weekend

sarcastic-homer.gif

• Haha 1

Why Gobby Cabbage still gets employment as a football pundit. I mean, I can't stand the bloke at the best of times, but he could make it a bit harder for me to hate him by being good at his job. He's shit. He adds nothing I couldn't add, and I'm **** useless. "Ooh, that was good skill, that." "He's a good player, he is." "Great anticipation, that." 

Â