Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Bedrooms with windows above the door frame.

Yes, it let's some light into the hall way (only positive I can think of), but it then let's light in to the bedroom whenever anyone turns the hall light on and wakes anyone in there up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Bedrooms with windows above the door frame.

Yes, it let's some light into the hall way (only positive I can think of), but it then let's light in to the bedroom whenever anyone turns the hall light on and wakes anyone in there up.

Ah, the infamous transom window. Bit of a "window" into a bygone era. We have hall night lights, so no one every turns on the hall light, but I can see what you mean!

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But what about people from the USA who have PL teams (e.g. Aston Villa)? 

This should actually be harder to understand, since we at least have a (admittedly inferior) league of our own that allows many of us to support a local team rather than one overseas.   I suppose many PL fans in the US have both a PL and an MLS team, though.

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't get it either but thanks for the money.

I don't understand how you can passionately support a team you have no actual connection with.

Aye I said it. Pashun! 

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't get it either but thanks for the money.

I don't understand how you can passionately support a team you have no actual connection with.

Aye I said it. Pashun

Round here it's known as 'Proppa' support. 

Proppa fans of Proppa teams.

Mate.

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Football is a fantastic sport with a global audience whereas American Football sucks and pretty much only Yanks watch it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Football is a fantastic sport with a global audience whereas American Football sucks and pretty much only Yanks watch it.

Yeah that’s why they sell out Wembley every year for a pre-season warm up game

Was listening to quite an interesting discussion about the nature of the fandom of supporters of the Premier league clubs from around the world here on the football ramble literally about a week or so ago. 

It’s the first the question in the Q&A at the very start of the show, lasts for 18 minutes. If you get chance I genuinely recommend listening to it. Really good discussion.

Spoiler - the fandom that people of Bangladesh have for the Argentina national side to the point that there’s an anti Brazilian sentiment there was surprising to learn.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

200k American's live in the UK, they'd fill Wembley twice over. 

American football sucks, it's rugby with pads, forwards passing to make it easier, a break every 10 seconds and endless advert breaks.

• Like 2

Birthdays..... specifically adults who carry on about their birthday. Like Xmas, birthdays are fine for kids and while you are growing up . Milestones I can understand if i try.

Other than that birthdays are stupid and inconvenient.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

American football sucks, it's rugby with pads, forwards passing to make it easier, a break every 10 seconds and endless advert breaks.

NFL is awesome, probably the best reffed sport out there. Would be my favourite sport to watch and I love to hate anything USA

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Whilst I tend to agree with regards to the sport itself, denying its popularity based on that is daft. When they play those games in the UK (and in other countries) the crowd isn’t mainly Americans

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whilst I tend to agree with regards to the sport itself, denying its popularity based on that is daft. When they play those games in the UK (and in other countries) the crowd isn’t mainly Americans

Have you got the data to confirm what percentage of the Wembley crowd are American?

I'd also suggest that selling out one stadium once a year doesn't necessarily reflect popularity. If it was sold out 30 or 40 times a year, or multiple stadiums were selling out then possibly but I guess we have different views on what popular means.

4 hours ago, bickster said:

It's about 3 times a year but they are proper season games.

It's a sign of things to come with Villa having a 'home' fixture against Man Utd in Riyadh within the next decade.

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Have you got the data to confirm what percentage of the Wembley crowd are American?

I'd also suggest that selling out one stadium once a year doesn't necessarily reflect popularity. If it was sold out 30 or 40 times a year, or multiple stadiums were selling out then possibly but I guess we have different views on what popular means.

They sell out games in Munich , Frankfurt &  Mexico as well , they don't just come to the UK , but i believe the 4 games here this season sold out despite having crap teams playing  

I've been to a couple of the Uk games  , one at Wembley  (New Orleans trouncing the Dolphins) and one at Tottenham ( New Orleans being robbed v The Vikings) 

I didn't get the chance to speak to everyone present , but it seemed to be a lot of Americans that support one of the teams playing , that come over for the games and make a holiday of it ( like some of us might do if Villa played in the US)  , but a big amount seem to be Brits that support other teams that just come along to see a game they enjoy live  , hence you see a lot of different team colours on display 

• Like 1

Â