Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

57 minutes ago, Anthony said:

That's because you haven't tried 0% Guinness. Coke I'll drink, but J20 tastes like soap to me. Haven't tried any of the other no alcohol beers, mind. 

So to be clear, they've stopped Guinness tasting shit by taking out the alcohol?  That's some trick.

Edited by sidcow
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I wanted a coffee last night but as we are out of decaf that didnt happen. I dont touch tea or coffee after around 3pm if I want to sleep that night. My wife can have one at any time and sleeps, not me, I will lie awake wondering if my wallet meets @Stevo985s requirements (it does)

I'll be the judge of that

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

wdym, zero/low alcohol beer has gotten so much better over the past few years due to improvements and affordability in brewing tech. Many actually taste pretty decent these days.

I've been hearing this for years. Somebody recommends the latest 0% beer, assuring me that it's SO much better than the way they used to be. Like a fool, I fall for it, and give it a try. 

Yep. Still tastes like shit. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

On a similar note... Decaf coffee or tea.  Just why?

I used to get a lot of heart palpitations.  Had all the tests done, nothing wrong with me.

stopped drinking caffeinated coffee - no more palpitations.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I used to get a lot of heart palpitations.  Had all the tests done, nothing wrong with me.

stopped drinking caffeinated coffee - no more palpitations.

A few weeks ago I had my semi-usual 1l of black coffee plunger and my heart was racing for about 45 minutes afterwards.  Properly put the willies up me (KW).  I have had it again since, but didn't have the same racing heartbeat.

Very strange!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've been hearing this for years. Somebody recommends the latest 0% beer, assuring me that it's SO much better than the way they used to be. Like a fool, I fall for it, and give it a try. 

When I was trying to cut down on the booze I went and bought half a dozen different highly rated low alcohol/alcohol free and I agree. They ranged from the acceptable but nowhere close to a good beer (a couple that tasted oddly similar to digestive biscuits) through to "straight down the sink" (Brewdog's effort - I shouldn't be surprised).

None of them came close to scratching the beer itch, I'd take some nice squash over them.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So coffee/tea can still be enjoyed without the caffine headache afterwards.

Possibly why they also released Coke in gold cans which is their caffeine free version.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

When I was trying to cut down on the booze I went and bought half a dozen different highly rated low alcohol/alcohol free and I agree. They ranged from the acceptable but nowhere close to a good beer (a couple that tasted oddly similar to digestive biscuits) through to "straight down the sink" (Brewdog's effort - I shouldn't be surprised).

None of them came close to scratching the beer itch, I'd take some nice squash over them.

you need to try the ones from bottles rather than cans .. you will find those taste much better  :P 

• Sad 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

you need to try the ones from bottles rather than cans .. you will find those taste much better  :P 

They were actually all bottles now you mention it. Must have been the UV affecting it, need to try some cans ;) 

I tried: Leffe, Nanny state, Chouffe, Old Speckled Hen, A couple of wanky craft IPAs, one was "Days" which was definitely a biscuity one, can't for the life of me what the other one was.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wallet-gate was 6 years ago. Bloody hell

About a year after I bought this wallet, my daughter bought me another, with a coin pouch, she questioned why I wasn't using it and I had to explain to her why. She now shows me nothing but disdain and pity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Because you want something hot and wet but don't want the caffeine. The only instant coffee in our house is decaf, only gets used every now and again but if I want a hot drink before bed, an instant decaf coffee can be the drink of choice 

Apart from that I'll drink and actual coffee, so no need for instant, I could use a decaf pod but sometimes, just sometimes I want a longer big mug of something.

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But as your proper drinker has often been heard to say, "This beer is so shit, I'll be glad when I've had enough!".

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Fair enough and I agree with you that they're not often on par with their alcoholic beer equivalents. My point is just that they are a whole lot better than they used to be and they're really not that bad either imo.

Edited by osmark86

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

But as your proper drinker has often been heard to say, "This beer is so shit, I'll be glad when I've had enough!".

I was at a gig on Sat night  ( well it started watching Chertesy Town play , then the gig , then a late one in Woking with the house band in the pub) 

and it was kinda exactly like that , after the initial ice cold feeling  every pint was just a struggle soon as the beer remotely warmed up ... you kinda expect crap beer at a gig in plastic glasses , but the pubs should have been able to serve a decent pint 

gave up around midnight and moved onto rum and coke instead 

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I was at a gig on Sat night  ( well it started watching Chertesy Town play , then the gig , then a late one in Woking with the house band in the pub) 

and it was kinda exactly like that , after the initial ice cold feeling  every pint was just a struggle soon as the beer remotely warmed up ... you kinda expect crap beer at a gig in plastic glasses , but the pubs should have been able to serve a decent pint 

gave up around midnight and moved onto rum and coke instead 

Sounds like a trial of will over your taste-buds, which eventually prevailed.

Going for the high can be quite a challenge sometimes, and I think home-brew offers the biggest challenge of them all.

Telling yourself it only cost 30p a pint can only take you so far.

• Haha 3

Â