Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

I have an iPhone 8 that I've had for four years.  Will upgrade to a slightly higher number when this one dies (showing signs).

I'm that used to iPhones and happy with their functionality that I couldn't be bothered to get and learn a new phone.  I'm also not bothered about having the latest model. 

Cheapish bill and functional phone and I'm happy.  What does an iPhone 14 do that an 8 can't?  Better camera perhaps.  

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

You're just a better person if you use Apple. Smarter, stronger, more potent, more unique, a beautiful individual getting on better in life. 

Everyone else is just subhuman scum.

If you're an Apple customer you're little more than a poser.  And a fool who's money is often parted from him.

Probably the sort of person who pisses away money on super unleaded petrol. AMIRITE @Xela?

Edit  - And you're probably a vegan. 

Edited by sidcow

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That was pretty much the attitude I used to get from the Apple early adopters back in the 90s and early 2000s, that turned me against them. 

Wasn't that when they were the hipster alternative to the Microsoft giant? Now Apple are the mainstream. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

If you're an Apple customer you're little more than a poser.  And a fool who's money is often parted from him.

Probably the sort of person who pisses away money on super unleaded petrol. AMIRITE @Xela?

I video myself filling up my Audi (aka the 4 rings of success) with super juice on my IPhone Max Pro Plus.

hate-haters-gonna-hate.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

So in other words, janky workarounds galore (even ignoring the itunes stuff) . You have to agree installing the Gmail app, Photos app, Google one app, Contacts app, Calendar app and have it seamlessly interchangeable between Iphone and Android devices, even at the same time, is a massively better solution?

edit:

Just to add, Google has disqualified themselves from the chat and video-call realm, they just cant help themself inventing and killing products left, right and center.  So that doesn't count :D

But at least most of them was cross compatible,

Google also binned off their music app (which was also crap on Apple devices).

On the easier to integrate google drive to iOS than iCloud to android, it’s not great either way, tbh. Apple Music > Google music, obviously. Photos I agree is seamless so wins that one. Email is no worry either way. Browser - I don’t like chrome and my main one is Firefox, so …

Calendar and address swapping is pretty easy, except on the Samsung, there’s Samsung email app, address book, phone, message thing, photo thing…voice thing.. all unwanted and can’t be removed. No doubt a pixel phone would be cleaner in that regard. When it comes to being good guys or bad guys, neither is much cop there. 

I've never owned an iPhone, happy enough with android although I've had desktop Macs for 20 odd years.

Anecdotally, it seems there's a pretty evenly split group of people over 35, some of whom are a little tribal about which system they use, then an absolutely rabid group of people now starting to approach their late twenties and early thirties who are very iPhone and quite evangelical about it, then a younger group who don't really give a fig and obsess about data and camera and stuff like that without really caring who gives it to them.

The funniest bit of that is watching the late 20's folks in our office who've attached the iPhone to their collective feeling of youth, "the young peoples' phone" realising that they aren't the young people any more and that actual young people are much less bothered.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

actual young people are much less bothered.

I’m not young people, but they’re right. I mean phones, computers tablets are just tools. Long as they do the job, reliably then it doesn’t matter.

• Like 3

She books accommodation when we go away. She loves it.

We've done sleeping in a hut with the shitter at the other of the field, to gastro with grovelly staff.

It'll be interesting to increase the sample size on this.

Within the UK, we've found gay men running their own businesses to be the best hoteliers and guest house owners.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Xann said:

She books accommodation when we go away. She loves it.

We've done sleeping in a hut with the shitter at the other of the field, to gastro with grovelly staff.

It'll be interesting to increase the sample size on this.

Within the UK, we've found gay men running their own businesses to be the best hoteliers and guest house owners.

Pretty much all service industry, see also small restaurant and indie coffee shop.

• Like 1

There’s a far snobbier attitude around phones from Android users than there are iPhone users. 

Android users always seem desperate to tell you how shit Apple are and how only sheep use their phones and you could do everything much better on a phone that’s half the price

Cool 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

There’s a far snobbier attitude around phones from Android users than there are iPhone users. 

Android users always seem desperate to tell you how shit Apple are and how only sheep use their phones and you could do everything much better on a phone that’s half the price

Cool 👍🏻

Ooh, I've not embedded a tikitok before, don't know if this'll work

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Why does Great British Baking Show take place in a tent?

Originally it moved around different locations in the country so a tent made sense as it enabled the same aesthetic in different places.

As it now stays in one place I would guess it's just to link it back to its 'heritage'

2 hours ago, picicata said:

Originally it moved around different locations in the country so a tent made sense as it enabled the same aesthetic in different places.

As it now stays in one place I would guess it's just to link it back to its 'heritage'

I think it's a nod to the 'village fête' aesthetic. 

• Like 4

Â