Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

1) Your actual problem here is cupboard space.  We have a similar issue in that we have I would estimate 6 x the cupboard space that we had in our old house yet still have no space.  We could invite 46 builders round for a full three course dinner and still not get into the REALLY old crockery.  I have suspicions Mrs Sidcow is a genuine hoarder.

2) We have stacked glasses too.  A bit of kitchen roll between them is your friend here.

3) You need a new dishwasher.

1 - agreed on the cupboard space, we have too much, 11 low level cupboards or drawer units, 7 high level. It means we have 20 saucepans for the 7 ring cooker and 10 oven trays for the 4 oven shelves.

2 - the actual cupboards are regularly cleaned, and I mean probably once a month, everything out, cleaned, everything back. Can’t stand a sticky shelf.

3 - we’ve discussed a new dishwasher but it was agreed the one I’ve currently got would cut my balls off if I ever tried a different one

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It's in 'Other Football' man. Let it go :lol: Although I do find it mildly fascinating how much the popularity of the Joe thread fascinates you :D

Anyone else leaving the club would be distant memory by now.

His thread gets bumped up even when he ain't playing.

Weird.

The Lee Rigby stuff.

Obviously he was the victim of a horrible crime, and also a solider, although not on duty at the time (he was going go the chippy I think).

Theres plenty of other people that are killed every day, and soldiers who are also killed in the field of battle.

Why is Lee Rigby held up by many as a particular national hero but other victims not?

I raise this because I saw on social media a group of football fans (Man City I think) had a big Lee Rigby banner last week. All the comments were about how incredible it was, well done, fair play etc

What is it about his death that differentiates it from others?

Just now, bickster said:

I think I only spotted one, maybe two mugs that I'd even consider taking a drink from

Maybe you're not me after all. I ignore the small ones (they mainly get used by the grandchildren, anyway), but anything of a reasonable size is fine. That said, I do like to dedicate ones for coffee OR tea, not use the same for both. But like I said, Boring Thread. 

• Like 1

I have a mug pecking order, top of the shop is my "world's okayest grandad" mug, if that's here in the office and someone is making me a drink, it's the Spiderman 79 mug, then finally it's a Vegas mug. Rarely get that far down due to me not being a tramp and having a sink full of washing up. 

I've noticed more and more mugs of the novelty variety are not dishwasher safe.  Start fading after a couple of runs through the dishwasher.

I assume it's because they save about 5p per mug on not applying whatever the protective finish is.

Really pisses me off.

My latest Villa mug needs replacing as it's fading faster than new manager bounce.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Genie said:

The Lee Rigby stuff.

Obviously he was the victim of a horrible crime, and also a solider, although not on duty at the time (he was going go the chippy I think).

Theres plenty of other people that are killed every day, and soldiers who are also killed in the field of battle.

Why is Lee Rigby held up by many as a particular national hero but other victims not?

I raise this because I saw on social media a group of football fans (Man City I think) had a big Lee Rigby banner last week. All the comments were about how incredible it was, well done, fair play etc

What is it about his death that differentiates it from others?

Having your head hacked off on the High Street on home soil in front of numerous onlookers for one

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Having your head hacked off on the High Street on home soil in front of numerous onlookers for one

On the same day Dale Creegan was in court for luring 2 female police officers to his house with a fake burglary call, then shot them on the doorstep and threw a grenade at them for good measure. Who were these ladies innocently killed in the line of duty? Nobody knows or remembers. 

There’s many tragic and brutal murders sadly, but they don’t seem to have a heroic victim quite like Lee. That’s what I don’t get. 

I guess like with most things, it’s the way it was presented by the media which resonates with people.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Genie said:

On the same day Dale Creegan was in court for luring 2 female police officers to his house with a fake burglary call, then shot them on the doorstep and threw a grenade at them for good measure. Who were these ladies innocently killed in the line of duty? Nobody knows or remembers. 

There’s many tragic and brutal murders sadly, but they don’t seem to have a heroic victim quite like Lee. That’s what I don’t get. 

It was filmed I think is your answer with killers with blood on their hands. 'Seeing' adds perspective

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I've noticed more and more mugs of the novelty variety are not dishwasher safe.  Start fading after a couple of runs through the dishwasher.

I've got two Mars mugs that came with Easter eggs. They are already fading and they're only 20ish years old.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I assume it's because they save about 5p per mug on not applying whatever the protective finish is.

Really pisses me off.

My latest Villa mug needs replacing as it's fading faster than new manager bounce.

went mad when you got a free mug with a big jar of Nescafe, must have a dozen or so 

On 12/11/2021 at 22:56, rjw63 said:

The Gresford thread. Still top of the section.

He plays for someone else, let it go.

Nearly as bad as the bloosers stroking off to "Joood"

I don't get people that post in the Grealish thread but complain about other people posting in the Grealish thread ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s interesting how some crimes take hold of the public consciousness more than others.

I remember seeing a programme years ago covering this, it referenced the Milly Dowler case and how there was some teenage lad who disappeared around the same time or possibly even the same day, receiving more or less no national news coverage. The person commenting suggested in that case, Milly Dowler essentially was more photogenic (for want of a better word). Her picture was more memorable. Therefore the story sells more.

I’ve kinda done my little tests on this. If the conversation goes towards it, and Raoul Moat comes up in discussion, I always ask “Who’s Derrick Bird?”. The vast majority of the time I get blank faces, they just don’t remember.

It’s not a competition, what Moat did was reprehensible but Bird was shooting up Cumbria literally a month before and yet for some reason it was Moat that remained in the public consciousness. It can’t all be because of Gazza turning up. I guess as above, there was the stand off and some footage. But still I find it amazing how the one case usurped the other in terms of how well known it is.

It's also a scary reminder of how; whether we like to admit it or not; we can be very much swayed on how to feel by the media on what they report and how they report it.  Not in these specific cases but we (as in the general population) are very easy to manipulate if they want everyone up in arms about something or if they want something to disappear without a whimper.

• Like 2

Â