Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Woah woah woah.. PIDGIN?!

PIDGIN!!??

I always thought it was Pidgeon.. 😟

Pidgeon English.. like.. I dunno why, but what the holy **** is a PIDGIN?! 

Ah shit man.. 

Oh **** off is it Pidgin..

****'s sake. 😒

Sounds the bastard same! 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Yep, seen it happen many times in many places. Once especially in Austria from a bloke that owned a bowling alley called Richard. Unruly Brits being arseholes, didn't understand English, after hours when they'd gone. Hi Chaps, what can I get you. He'd worked on a P&O Liner for ten years, his English was better than ours

The French play up to it massively (I quite like it).

I went to Paris with an ex some time back.  I asked a policemen for directions to our hotel in fairly decent broken-French.  He just looked at me blankly and glanced at his colleagues almost as if "what's he asking?".  Fair enough, I thought.  Tried it again.  Nothing.  I apologised, thanked them and went to turn away when one of them answered in almost perfect English.

The little **** just wanted me to squirm a bit longer :( 

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Oh **** off is it Pidgin..

****'s sake. 😒

Sounds the bastard same! 

Does mean you get to experience the amazing BBC pidgin news website though :lol:

Sample

UEFA Champions League return on Tuesday evening and football fans already dey happy to see how di different group matches go shelle.

_121772568_ron3.jpg

Some teams don already qualify while some dey hope say dem go pick maximum points from Tuesday matches.

Di match between Villareal and Manchester United shele for di Estadio de la Ceramica and e kick-off around 6:45pm Nigerian time.

Na Villarreal 0 - 0 Manchester United afta first half.

Cristiano Ronaldo goal for 78 minute and Jadon Sancho 90 minute goal make Manchester United reach di last-16 of di champion league.

Afta Ole Gunnar Solskajaer sack last Sunday, plenti pipo eyes go dey for dis match ontop say dem wan see as caretaker coach Michael Carrick go coach.

As e be so Manchester United get plenti injuries to worry about, Paul Pogba get injury for him thig.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Woah woah woah.. PIDGIN?!

PIDGIN!!??

I always thought it was Pidgeon.. 😟

Pidgeon English.. like.. I dunno why, but what the holy **** is a PIDGIN?! 

Ah shit man.. 

Check out the BBC pidgin site

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin

edit" @BOF beat me to it... or in pidgin... dey BOF beat me yeah (KW)

Edited by Xela

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Yep, seen it happen many times in many places. Once especially in Austria from a bloke that owned a bowling alley called Richard. Unruly Brits being arseholes, didn't understand English, after hours when they'd gone. Hi Chaps, what can I get you. He'd worked on a P&O Liner for ten years, his English was better than ours

What a strange thing to call a bowling alley!

My limited experience with the French was a trip where I spent a week in Perigord and a week in Paris.   The only person who was rude was a waitress at a restaurant in a tiny hamlet, who I think was just pissed off at us for coming in to the empty restaurant just before closing time and delaying her departure.

I always greeted people in French, tried to communicate in French and apologized for my poor command of the language and found everyone to be friendly and helpful.  Occasionally they would guess I was an English speaker and switch over, but not in a snooty way.   More often, they would ask if I'd rather speak English.  This was true in Paris, as well.  I got the impression that they just want visitors to acknowledge that, as a visitor to their country, the burden is on you to put in the effort to communicate rather than assume that they should be adapting to your needs.  Once you show them that respect they're much more receptive.  I suspect there's a certain amount of pride at play having seen their status of one of the colonial powers diminish and their language lose out to English as the universal language.

• Like 2

Pitkern and Norf'k are fun reads on the pidgin discussion. What happens when 18th century English from across the UK with all the various slang associated is smashed into Tahitian with a heavy focus on sailing lingo, and then is left alone for 200 years?

This

Humuch shep corl ya? - How often do ships visit?

You gwen whihi up suppa? - You going to cook supper?

Ye like-a sum whettles? - Would you like some food?

I se gwen ah nahweh. - I'm going swimming

Apparently Pitcairn is in danger is dying out, as understandably nobody wants to live there, so the language probably isn't long for this world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Apparently Pitcairn is in danger is dying out, as understandably nobody wants to live there, so the language probably isn't long for this world.

Shame, I used to love that TV show as a kid. 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Honourary awards from universities. 

I didn't want to derail the Mings thread, and I'm happy for him, I guess, but what the **** is this?

So, just to be clear, you can get a real doctorate of education over years of learning and research, followed by writing a 45,000 thesis on a research subject....Or you can be awarded an "honourary" version of it for....kicking a football around and speaking out against racism? I love Tyrone, partly as a football, but mostly for what he stands for off the pitch, it's not a dig at him, I just don't get these honourary awards from academic insitutions, it's half meaningless, and half insulting to people who've actually achieved the real thing academically rather than being an ideal poster-child for some marketing of the institution. 

It's just an honour. it's the academic institution recognising people for things they've done. It absolutely has nothing to do with the real degrees people study for. Mings can't just apply for jobs as a teacher now he has that and it isn't insulting to those who have "proper" degrees. Sometimes it's those very students stuying for proper degrees that nominate people for honourary degrees. Bath Spa is big on Sports Science isn't it? So it kind of fits that they award the odd sports person an honorary degree.

Â