Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah i don't get sushi either. 

It's OK but it's vastly overpriced and people go mad for it. 

I am a huge fan of sushi but it has to made fresh on that day and the quality of the fish is essential.

Large Sainsbury’s now have a dedicated sushi stall.It’s made on the spot and the quality is pretty good and priced about £5 to £6.Their spicy tuna is really good with lashings of soy sauce.

It is a strange eating experience where the texture is as important as the taste.

Edited by Only2McInallys

I've seen 2 comments now about smothering sushi in tons of soy sauce. 

That's done it for me.  Anything is going to taste nice smothered in soy sauce so it's basically exactly the same thing as smothering shit food in ketchup. 

Also see people who try and make lager palatable by mixing it with lime cordial. 

Has anyone ever in the history of mankind ever gone to the bar, ordered a pint of Bathams and asked the barman to kindly top it up with a bit of blackcurrant? I think not. 

• Like 2

I used to have a Guinness/ stout and black sometimes when it was the beginning of 'Guinness season' ( late sept onwards)  to ease myself in to winter drinking. :D For shame. I know

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

List of places I want to visit:

Vancouver

Vancouver's great. You just have to imagine a city extremely far away from anywhere, set in magnificent natural surroundings, in which the buildings and cars entered some sort of time warp where it's still 1973.

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I used to have a Guinness/ stout and black sometimes when it was the beginning of 'Guinness season' ( late sept onwards)  to ease myself in to winter drinking. :D For shame. I know

Not sure why I've given you a shocked emoji. 

The only way I could drink a drink as dreadful as Guinness would be to mix it half and half with Blackcurrant cordial. 

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've seen 2 comments now about smothering sushi in tons of soy sauce. 

That's done it for me.  Anything is going to taste nice smothered in soy sauce so it's basically exactly the same thing as smothering shit food in ketchup. 

Also see people who try and make lager palatable by mixing it with lime cordial. 

Has anyone ever in the history of mankind ever gone to the bar, ordered a pint of Bathams and asked the barman to kindly top it up with a bit of blackcurrant? I think not. 

God I bet your cock is tiny.

So much bravado, you've defo got a schniblet.

1 hour ago, Only2McInallys said:

I am a huge fan of sushi but it has to made fresh on that day and the quality of the fish is essential.

Large Sainsbury’s now have a dedicated sushi stall.It’s made on the spot and the quality is pretty good and priced about £5 to £6.Their spicy tuna is really good with lashings of soy sauce.

It is a strange eating experience where the texture is as important as the taste.

My local Sainsburys has put a sushi bar in but got rid of the meat and fish counter, which really pissed me off.  How can a supermarket not have a butchery and fish bit?  I'm tempted to just ask for 12 lots of salmon sushi but ask them to leave out the rice and seaweed.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Vancouver's great. You just have to imagine a city extremely far away from anywhere, set in magnificent natural surroundings, in which the buildings and cars entered some sort of time warp where it's still 1973.

Curious - have you been in the last five years?  You might not recognize it.  A lot of money has come in to the city, especially since the Olympics.  All the old buildings are coming down and being replaced with soulless high-rise apartments where a studio starts at $1m.  They're replacing dodgy (but slightly charming) buildings from the 70's with towers of glass.

Also, every second vehicle is a Tesla, and there are so many luxury cars a Lambo, Ferrari or Maclaren isn't even worth commenting on. A fair few have L plates on.

If you really want to hammer the last nails in the coffin, I'd say:

1. Unaffordable - just ranked second worst in the world behind Hong Kong). Your hotel room will cost you far more than your flight.

2. Yoga / wellness / holistic stuff everywhere

3. The official Reddit page has the bio "The most boring, irrelevant city in the world™", and that's the people who live here.  I think boring is a bit unfair, but it's a more like a big town surrounded by water than a city.  Think Bristol without Roni Size and his drums and his bases.

4. The drivers.  It's like most of the cars don't have mirrors or windows.

5. **** gross sushi everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Curious - have you been in the last five years?  You might not recognize it.  A lot of money has come in to the city, especially since the Olympics.  All the old buildings are coming down and being replaced with soulless high-rise apartments where a studio starts at $1m.  They're replacing dodgy (but slightly charming) buildings from the 70's with towers of glass.

Also, every second vehicle is a Tesla, and there are so many luxury cars a Lambo, Ferrari or Maclaren isn't even worth commenting on. A fair few have L plates on.

If you really want to hammer the last nails in the coffin, I'd say:

1. Unaffordable - just ranked second worst in the world behind Hong Kong). Your hotel room will cost you far more than your flight.

2. Yoga / wellness / holistic stuff everywhere

3. The official Reddit page has the bio "The most boring, irrelevant city in the world™", and that's the people who live here.  I think boring is a bit unfair, but it's a more like a big town surrounded by water than a city.  Think Bristol without Roni Size and his drums and his bases.

4. The drivers.  It's like most of the cars don't have mirrors or windows.

5. **** gross sushi everywhere.

I went two or three years ago, and to be honest I loved it; I'm only teasing about the 1970s, but there definitely was that sort of vibe in the neighbourhood we stayed in, which was just next to Stanley Park. The rest obviously was nothing like it. I'd love to live there (I have family there), but as you say the prices are ridiculous. One day, who knows.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Get on the tonkatsu sandwiches and you'll forget sushi ever existed

Most of the good stuff is hard to find, even in London, but for some reason there's a large number of Japanese expats in dusseldorf and therefore they have a fair few bakeries, surprisingly the Japanese have excellent bakery products 

Tonkatsu sandwich is high on the list! As is Okonomiyaki which is my most eagerly anticipated dish. I’ve had decent mochi already but I’d still love to try proper mitarashi dango. Plus the ubiquitous egg salad sandwiches and pretty much all the junky tourist trap stuff from 7/11, Family Mart and Lawsons!

Plus whoever it was who said to cover the fish in soy sauce?! Nooooo! Literally a small dip of the fish only, and a small blob of wasabi. The ginger doesn’t go on the sushi either, it’s a palate cleanser between bites. ****, maybe I am a hipster word removed after all 😂

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

I am a huge fan of sushi but it has to made fresh on that day and the quality of the fish is essential 

I don’t profess to be an expert on Sushi , but when i went to Japan I was told the best Sushi is a few days old as it gives time for the amino acids to release and flavour it 

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Tonkatsu sandwich is high on the list! As is Okonomiyaki which is my most eagerly anticipated dish. I’ve had decent mochi already but I’d still love to try proper mitarashi dango. Plus the ubiquitous egg salad sandwiches and pretty much all the junky tourist trap stuff from 7/11, Family Mart and Lawsons!

Plus whoever it was who said to cover the fish in soy sauce?! Nooooo! Literally a small dip of the fish only, and a small blob of wasabi. The ginger doesn’t go on the sushi either, it’s a palate cleanser between bites. ****, maybe I am a hipster word removed after all 😂

Okonomiyaki is pretty good, was all about the sauce they smother it in for me

Yakitori from 7/11 is pretty good too, and the Kare chain restaurants and don't write off McDonald's etc cos they also have some different stuff, the black burger at BK, orange chicken at KFC, I messed up at McDs and just went for the all day breakfast burger which was disappointing and they had something better on the menu 

And I'm sure Bilions taught me that about the ginger! 

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

My local Sainsburys has put a sushi bar in but got rid of the meat and fish counter, which really pissed me off.  How can a supermarket not have a butchery and fish bit?  I'm tempted to just ask for 12 lots of salmon sushi but ask them to leave out the rice and seaweed.

Sainsburys has closed all their fish, butchers and deli counters. It's a disgrace, vote with your feet. 

Ours installed a sushi bar but the good people of Shirley are a level headed bunch and soon saw that nonsense off.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Counting Crows. Is this a piss take or what

Well apart from the bit of Byrds in the intro, it's their 'big hit', isn't it? Literally the only song I've ever heard by Counting Crows. As a Dylan fan I get the references, but it's a ropey live version of a 'meh' song. 

Edited by mjmooney

People who don't have locks on their toilet door.  What's wrong with you? Are you just sexual **** deviants? 

Come on,  not even a barrel bolt? Weirdos. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â