Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

A more appropriate thread, from my post in the virus thread -

I’ll never understand why a group of people, typically under 35 to 40 in my experience, spend much of their time on their phones ignoring the friends they are physically with, presumably social media posting/messaging others who aren’t there. This was highlighted to me when out with friends a couple of years ago in a busy bar in Birmingham city centre. My wife noticed some women in their mid/late twenties all stood in an obvious group. 8 women were staring down at their phones or taking photos of their drink, whilst the 9th woman looked bored with no one to talk to. Why not focus on who you are with at that moment and save the chat with others until you’re more available or actually see them? You’ll also have something to talk about instead of hearing “I know mate, you told me that last night when you were out with your other mates

• Like 2

Just now, brommy said:

A more appropriate thread, from my post in the virus thread -

I’ll never understand why a group of people, typically under 35 to 40 in my experience, spend much of their time on their phones ignoring the friends they are physically with, presumably social media posting/messaging others who aren’t there. 

It can be difficult to differentiate between stag parties and Star Trek away teams these days.

• Haha 2

‘20 is plenty’. 

No it isn’t, it’s a **** crawl. 30 is plenty. If little Timmy doesn’t want to get splatted then don’t run in the road and teach your kids better about road safety. Kings Heath is full of these signs and also full of hippie tye dye head wrap baggy trouser wearing yuppie mothers on their phones not watching their precious little Tarquin’s.

Roads by schools during school hours then yeah fine but at 10pm when the little angry face lights up when I’m doing 24 and there’s no **** around? Jog on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

‘20 is plenty’. 

No it isn’t, it’s a **** crawl. 30 is plenty. If little Timmy doesn’t want to get splatted then don’t run in the road and teach your kids better about road safety. Kings Heath is full of these signs and also full of hippie tye dye head wrap baggy trouser wearing yuppie mothers on their phones not watching their precious little Tarquin’s.

Roads by schools during school hours then yeah fine but at 10pm when the little angry face lights up when I’m doing 24 and there’s no **** around? Jog on.

You have some very different opinions on certain things, don't ya? :lol: 

"Don't go on holiday, you'll bring a virus back!!" 

"An extra 10 seconds per mile on my journey!?! **** PIGS!" 

:unsure:

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You have some very different opinions on certain things, don't ya? :lol: 

"Don't go on holiday, you'll bring a virus back!!" 

"An extra 10 seconds per mile on my journey!?! **** PIGS!" 

:unsure:

It’s not about the time saved, it’s that driving along holly bank road up to billesley lane at 20mph is an absolute ball ache. 20mph is so slow. 

20 really is fast enough in town.

Cars should not be the dominant force in town centres and residential areas.

Or rather, cars aren’t the problem. It’s the **** weird thing that happens to otherwise normal sensible people once they get behind the wheel of a car and think they are the centre of the universe. Have a think, if you were the centre of the universe, then that Costa would be coming to you. If you were the centre of the universe, you wouldn’t have left home slightly late for your shitty unfulfilling job. If you were the centre of the universe, you wouldn’t be driving a mid range Audi through Wednesbury at night.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s not about the time saved, it’s that driving along holly bank road up to billesley lane at 20mph is an absolute ball ache. 20mph is so slow. 

I was referring to the deaths part of things, you're ok with 1 way of saving lives, but not the other (more beneficial) way?  

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I was referring to the deaths part of things, you're ok with 1 way of saving lives, but not the other (more beneficial) way?  

I’m ok with both? I just think it’s a ballache to drive at 20mph on wide long roads. I’m not trying to turn this into some one side or other debate for the ages I just wanted to moan like a word removed that I thought driving at 20 mph on  roads that aren’t short and narrow is a bit plop sometimes 😭

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

‘20 is plenty’. 

The whole of our village is 20mph. The only person that observes this is the woman in her small red Japanese car than drives at 10 mph and opens her window pointing at every 20mph sign to any car unfortunate enough to be stuck behind her.

I followed the Police down our road the other day. They were doing the same 30mph as me

The woman in her little red car once swerved into the middle of the road forcing me to mount the kerb and come to a halt to tell me she thought I was speeding and the 20mph limit was there for a reason.

She's getting it at some point (when I find where she lives - which won't take long)

30mph with the braking force of modern cars feels perfectly reasonable to me, you can come to a complete stop pretty quickly at 30mph, or at least, all competent drivers should be able to.

I drove back to Newport not so long ago, they’ve made a large stretch of the M4 50mph permanently, it’s a four lane motorway, when I drove on it I could see maybe 4 or 5 other cars in view front and rear combined, chugging along at 50mph was ridiculously frustrating.

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

30mph with the braking force of modern cars feels perfectly reasonable to me, you can come to a complete stop pretty quickly at 30mph, or at least, all competent drivers should be able to.

I drove back to Newport not so long ago, they’ve made a large stretch of the M4 50mph permanently, it’s a four lane motorway, when I drove on it I could see maybe 4 or 5 other cars in view front and rear combined, chugging along at 50mph was ridiculously frustrating.

See, it might have been frustrating, but you were clearly either going too fast or not paying enough attention to read why the road is at 50mph through Newport.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's a Welsh government measure to increase air pollution

You know HGVs drive at a limited 57.5 mph for a reason... its the most fuel efficient speed on average.

Well making all traffic drive at a speed lower than that sweet spot is a fantastic idea apparently

They've done the same on the Wrexham By-pass, specifically the bit that is closest to the Industrial Estate....

(If they'd made the speed limit 60mph, it may have some merit as an idea)

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's a Welsh government measure to increase air pollution

You know HGVs drive at a limited 57.5 mph for a reason... its the most fuel efficient speed on average.

Well making all traffic drive at a speed lower than that sweet spot is a fantastic idea apparently

They've done the same on the Wrexham By-pass, specifically the bit that is closest to the Industrial Estate....

(If they'd made the speed limit 60mph, it may have some merit as an idea)

The Welsh government want to increase air pollution? Weird lot!

Â