Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was on the M6 north last Saturday, inside lane, bimbling along at about 65, when in front of me, in the middle lane, was a Prius private hire, doing no more than 50! In a world of his own, being overtaken on both sides. 

200.gif

There’s other kinds of sushi if you can’t handle raw fish. Aldi do a veggie version, I buy them for my lunch sometimes. Absolutely stunning smothered in soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi. 

And I’m no hipster, greedy bastard, yes, but hipster, no way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Ahhh sushi. The clearest indicator of unashamed hipsterness/culinary status. Raw or lightly boiled fish - but either way still raw enough that the extremely nasty parasites that live in white fish, which really really don't get on with humans, are still fully alive.

No thank you. I'll eat most things that come out of the sea, but I'm going to need them cooked properly, kthxbye.

Spent 2 weeks in Japan and didn't eat any of it, they have so much incredible cuisine and that's whats become popular in the west, its shit and pointless mainly because what we get served here is westernised / americanised garbage at hugely inflated prices, the flavour comes from the condiments, the actual fish + rice itself are incredibly bland 

And theres a lot of confusion between sushi and sashimi 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I was on the M6 north last Saturday, inside lane, bimbling along at about 65, when in front of me, in the middle lane, was a Prius private hire, doing no more than 50! In a world of his own, being overtaken on both sides. 

U**r?

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

throw up the sandlot GIF

My brother and me loved that film when we were kids (“the sandlot”, for those who don’t know). Haven’t watched it in over 25 years, but it felt like we basically watched it on repeat when we did. I think my adolescent film analysis had it on par with “Stand by me”.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Spent 2 weeks in Japan and didn't eat any of it, they have so much incredible cuisine and that's whats become popular in the west, its shit and pointless mainly because what we get served here is westernised / americanised garbage at hugely inflated prices, the flavour comes from the condiments, the actual fish + rice itself are incredibly bland 

And theres a lot of confusion between sushi and sashimi 

I’d rather eat the average uk stuff then nothing at all though. If I like the western version then my thinking is I’ll absolutely love the authentic stuff. Can’t wait to try actual flame grilled chutaro in Japan. 

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I’d rather eat the average uk stuff then nothing at all though. If I like the western version then my thinking is I’ll absolutely love the authentic stuff. Can’t wait to try actual flame grilled chutaro in Japan. 

Get on the tonkatsu sandwiches and you'll forget sushi ever existed

Most of the good stuff is hard to find, even in London, but for some reason there's a large number of Japanese expats in dusseldorf and therefore they have a fair few bakeries, surprisingly the Japanese have excellent bakery products 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Ahhh sushi. The clearest indicator of unashamed hipsterness/culinary status. Raw or lightly boiled fish - but either way still raw enough that the extremely nasty parasites that live in white fish, which really really don't get on with humans, are still fully alive.

No thank you. I'll eat most things that come out of the sea, but I'm going to need them cooked properly, kthxbye.

1. Sushi basically means sour.  Yeah, I'm that guy. Peanuts aren't nuts, sea lions are related to donkeys, etc.  But there are orders of magnitude more dishes without raw fish than those with.

2. The raw fish is flash frozen to the point that all parasites are killed.  No different from cooking in that sense.

3. Where I live (Vancouver) it's the most popular and cheapest form of fast / take-away food in the city.  Indian and Chinese food are way more expensive, and there's a sushi restaurant within two blocks at pretty much every point in the city.

4. That shit is (mostly) pretty healthy too vs other fast food.

5. If you don't like it, fine - go back to your blackened steak with ketchup and fries that you probably microwaved you **** troglodyte.

6. I didn't mean #5, I just love sushi. You got me all hot and bothered.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

I just love sushi. You got me all hot and bothered.

Yeah but some people like century eggs. There is no accounting for taste 

Century_egg_sliced_open.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

1. Sushi basically means sour.  Yeah, I'm that guy. Peanuts aren't nuts, sea lions are related to donkeys, etc.  But there are orders of magnitude more dishes without raw fish than those with.

2. The raw fish is flash frozen to the point that all parasites are killed.  No different from cooking in that sense.

3. Where I live (Vancouver) it's the most popular and cheapest form of fast / take-away food in the city.  Indian and Chinese food are way more expensive, and there's a sushi restaurant within two blocks at pretty much every point in the city.

4. That shit is (mostly) pretty healthy too vs other fast food.

5. If you don't like it, fine - go back to your blackened steak with ketchup and fries that you probably microwaved you **** troglodyte.

6. I didn't mean #5, I just love sushi. You got me all hot and bothered.

You’d like to think it’s the cheapest and fastest, they don’t bloody cook anything!

• Like 1

Â