Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

57 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Sorry about that, but those roads are narrower than the car itself, the weather is ALWAYS foggy, the hedges are 3 miles high and you drive on the wrong side.

Me visiting a few years ago:

Scared Jurassic Park GIF by Vidiots

We used to regularly drive from Leeds to visit the in-laws in rural Devon. We'd invariably come off the motorway into the hedgerow lanes when the sun was low in the sky. The result was alternating blinding dazzle and stygian darkness. Add to that locals who knew every bend in the road, and so took them at 60mph or more, and it was quite the experience. 

11 hours ago, brommy said:

My first thought - is my full beam on? My second thought - is my speed less than the speed limit? I’ll then be on my guard for the next couple of minutes or until I’ve turned off the road. I can then drive like an idiot again.

This is exactly what the AA recommends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Better on the tyres :trollface:

I am unfortunately one of those people who will undertake them on purpose 

I'll aggressively flash my lights at them until they move over :D

(and then undertake them if they don't) 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll aggressively flash my lights at them until they move over :D

(and then undertake them if they don't) 

Overtake them and immediately cut across to the inside lane. No point in risking your own points total for some throbber, gets the point across but legally

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Overtake them and immediately cut across to the inside lane. No point in risking your own points total for some throbber, gets the point across but legally

To be fair I do actually do that. I only undertake people who do it in the outside lane

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's amazing the amount of people who think the lanes on roads are to do with speed and not with overtaking. It's infuriating

The overall lack of motorway driving skill is scary, it’s frightening that there’s still no mandatory training on motorways whilst learning to drive.

Its really, really simple too. Unless overtaking, so unless you are going faster than cars in front of you, you stay as far left as possible, that’s it.

Morons. Dare I say it but it often seems to be certain repeat groups of people who do it, when you drive past a car going 60mph in the middle lane you just know they’re going to be of a certain grouping.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

11 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I remember asking my dad as kid why we were never on the other side of the motorway, pointing at the cars going the other way.

So yeah, I've always been thick.

at least you never went into the fast lane thinking you'd be able to turn right off a motorway - ay @Rob182?

:lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

at least you never went into the fast lane thinking you'd be able to turn right off a motorway - ay @Rob182?

:lol:

I thought about posting about that, but I didn’t want to shame him on VT

(he’s probably got dirt on me :ph34r:)

17 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

To navigate Pill however you need 5” thick armour and at least 500 rounds of ammunition........and if you hit a red light, well you’re just screwed ;) 

Pill in 2021 is a cakewalk compared to Pill in the 90's. We occasionally had to go down there to fetch, let's say "supplies" back in the day. Safe as F***, it was not.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, choffer said:

Pill in 2021 is a cakewalk compared to Pill in the 90's. We occasionally had to go down there to fetch, let's say "supplies" back in the day. Safe as F***, it was not.

I grew up in Maesglas originally so used to venture down to Pill every now and again, and yeah, in the 90’s it was a war zone, can’t say I’ve been down there much since to be fair.

Defo rampant with ‘supplies’ though 🤣🤣

3 hours ago, bickster said:

This was a sad day for Sweden when you capitulated to your European Lizard Overlords.

It made a few road-solutions very strange. Slussen for example was geared towards Left-hand traffic. It's being rebuilt as we speak

1280px-Slussen%2C_flygfoto_2014-09-20.jp

Fun (not really) fact, I used to work in that office

x0XQJMG.png

• Like 1

I don't get how Justin Bieber ever became a star.

I don't get why people enjoy the taste of sushi.

Also, I don't get why saying 'Nice cans' to a woman is deemed inappropriate🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

I don't get why people enjoy the taste of sushi.

Ahhh sushi. The clearest indicator of unashamed hipsterness/culinary status. Raw or lightly boiled fish - but either way still raw enough that the extremely nasty parasites that live in white fish, which really really don't get on with humans, are still fully alive.

No thank you. I'll eat most things that come out of the sea, but I'm going to need them cooked properly, kthxbye.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Those supermarket signs that tell you quickly what you need to know, you know the ones, at the turn in off the main road there will be a sign along the lines of:

TESCO

petrol

clothing

groceries

or perhaps where you live it says

ASDA

24/7

groceries

garden centre

well my favourite is the one in Worcester:

WAITROSE

Sushi

Dry Cleaning 

Wine Bar

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, probably the same people who drive for miles down the middle lane of the motorway at 60mph when there are almost no cars around. 

I was on the M6 north last Saturday, inside lane, bimbling along at about 65, when in front of me, in the middle lane, was a Prius private hire, doing no more than 50! In a world of his own, being overtaken on both sides. 

Â