Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've done a speed awareness course, me. 

The video claims to represent POV but the bloke”s head is in the way! Cunningly used to block the distant sighting of the car doing 30mph but not used to block the sighting of the 20mph car.

I fully appreciate the need for 20mph is certain areas but it can feel strange and somewhat unnecessary on straight stretches of wide road with good sighting of pedestrians. I assume it’s cheaper than enforcement of a sometimes more appropriate 30mph limit so the inconsiderate drivers doing 40mph in built up areas have spoilt it for those safely driving at 28 or 29mph. Either way, a 20mph speed limit without consistent enforcement will be no protection to children who gain a complacent sense of security in a 20mph zone and are hit by the unchecked driver doing 40.

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Ah, motorways. I don't think I've driven on one in 7-8 months. I hate motorway driving but it seems quite appealing at the moment.

Its definitely quieter, but you still get people driving like rocket polishers in their overly powerful point and squirt German cars.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not sure of what number it is. It’s one of those bits of road where i know it when I’m on it but i couldn’t describe it (if that makes any sense).

Cranford exit. It’s my route home. I’ll remember to flick the v’s at you next time I see you do it ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

My journeys along the M4 in recent years usually involved me turning off at Celtic Manor just as the Smart stuff started but I'd be well aware that I'm likely to be in a queue from anywhere after Caldicot to that junction, so I pretty much stuck to the left hand lane at that point because you really can't see that far ahead on most of that stretch. The last time I was there, I made the mistake of "I'll go the other way for a change." :bang:

Same here but for different reasons. A quick trip down the A48 through Liswerry and up through Pill is a trip down memory lane for me. It often saves the whole Brynglas car park experience too so double win. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, choffer said:

Same here but for different reasons. A quick trip down the A48 through Liswerry and up through Pill is a trip down memory lane for me. It often saves the whole Brynglas car park experience too so double win. 

To navigate Pill however you need 5” thick armour and at least 500 rounds of ammunition........and if you hit a red light, well you’re just screwed ;) 

8 hours ago, BOF said:

Bishop? If you were lucky! You usually had to make do with the parish priest.

Ireland was very poor back in the day. We were just happy to have a slightly warm meal.

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

If I’m in a 50 zone and the car in front isn’t doing at least 51 I swear like Malcom Tucker at them  , it’s particularly noticeable with old people when the price of fuel goes up 2p a litre and they think that means they need to drive at 30 through a 50 zone to get back in profit  .

but we are in my favourite subject here... if a child jumps in front of your car at 30 mph you can kill them , whereas if you were doing 20 mph they might  live ... however if you were doing 40 mph in that 30 zone you’d be 100 yards up the road when they jumped out into that particular spot and well out the way  .. ergo Speeding saves lives 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

On the subject of speeding... I don’t get the thing where drivers flash to indicate a speed trap. How do you know that’s what they’re flashing about!?

In Canada it could be there is heard of elk at the side of the road. They don't care if you're speeding.

In my part of rural Canada we have nice wide empty mostly straight roads ... speed limit usually about 90 km/h, normally speed at 100 km/h (~60 mph). Come to the UK to visit relatives in the UK, these rural windy narrow highways with high hedges for extra poor visibility and people driving at breakneck speeds (or at least what it seems like to me) in the fog makes it interesting. 

47 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

On the subject of speeding... I don’t get the thing where drivers flash to indicate a speed trap. How do you know that’s what they’re flashing about!?

My first thought - is my full beam on? My second thought - is my speed less than the speed limit? I’ll then be on my guard for the next couple of minutes or until I’ve turned off the road. I can then drive like an idiot again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

In Canada it could be there is heard of elk at the side of the road. They don't care if you're speeding.

In my part of rural Canada we have nice wide empty mostly straight roads ... speed limit usually about 90 km/h, normally speed at 100 km/h (~60 mph). Come to the UK to visit relatives in the UK, these rural windy narrow highways with high hedges for extra poor visibility and people driving at breakneck speeds (or at least what it seems like to me) in the fog makes it interesting. 

Where in BC do you live?

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Ah, okay. My sister-in-law lives in Nelson. We were hoping to go in August actually, but looks like a stretch given covid. Hopefully will get there soon enough.

Nelson is really nice ... I'm less than an hour south,  practically next door.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Nelson is really nice ... I'm less than an hour south,  practically next door.

Yeah, I was just looking on a map, and I'm sure she's mentioned flying from Castlegar which maybe is close to you?

It all looks very beautiful, but I've never been, just been to Vancouver and Vancouver Island before in BC.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I was just looking on a map, and I'm sure she's mentioned flying from Castlegar which maybe is close to you?

It all looks very beautiful, but I've never been, just been to Vancouver and Vancouver Island before in BC.

Castlegar is about half an hour for me. One of my two local airports ... also known as Cancelgar in winter. Though I believe Castlegar is shut down at the moment because of COVID. I guess it will be open by August. Nice drive along the Kootenay river between Castlegar and Nelson. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't get THOSE people.  You know the ones. 

You're on a long journey down winding country lanes with no overtaking possibilities.  Let's say in Cornwall. 

The speed limit is 60 mph.  There are lots of straight sections where you could easily do 60mph, 55 mph would be a decent average speed down the whole road. 

They are doing 40mph the whole way. 

You get to a village, the speed limit reduces to 30mph. They speed right through it at 40 mph. 

I don't get those people. 

Indeed this.  I get on almost daily basis to our village. 4 / 5 miles where they could easily do 50-60 but sit at 40 then straight through the village at 40. 

I'm sure it's these tools that cause accidents because they're blissfully unaware of what is actually going on around them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lammy123 said:

Indeed this.  I get on almost daily basis to our village. 4 / 5 miles where they could easily do 50-60 but sit at 40 then straight through the village at 40. 

I'm sure it's these tools that cause accidents because they're blissfully unaware of what is actually going on around them.

Yes, probably the same people who drive for miles down the middle lane of the motorway at 60mph when there are almost no cars around. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, probably the same people who drive for miles down the middle lane of the motorway at 60mph when there are almost no cars around. 

Better on the tyres :trollface:

I am unfortunately one of those people who will undertake them on purpose 

• Like 1

Â