Paul Lambert

limpid

He thinks we dominated the game...

684642.gif

Stretching it a bit, but not by too much. We did have fifteen attempts at goal.

We bossed the second half and should have taken one of the umpteen chances we had. Over the last two games I criticised Lambert for our lack of penetration, with Delphi and Gil on we looked a different side. One capable of staying up!

I am not sure whether intentional or not, but we seemed to play 4-4-2 second half with Gil free to roam.

Surely it was Weimann and Gil who made the difference.

Still retains my support . Anyone surprised ?

Not really you would still be blindly supporting him if he has got us relegated into the Evostick Fizzy Pop League. I totally fail to comprehend your support save for the fact he is he clearly a mate of yours.

• Like 2

I think Lambert and Lerner came to an agreement in the summer that suited them both - and it's ended up being a nightmare for both.

From Lerner's point of view he needed to make sure he'd got a manager while he sold the club - he could do without the trouble of finding another manager and then having to give him money - a bit like having to put new tyres on a car you're trying to sell; a pain in the arse and going to cost you money. But, there lurked the spectre of his current manager (who was probably a bit bored of trying to keep the club afloat and didn't seem to be enjoying it a great deal) buggering off to Celtic.

From Lambert's point of view, he was in a miserable job, with none of his mates left, no money to change it and the likelihood it'd be sold and he'd be sacked pretty imminently - he'd have been looking to find a way out.

The solution - money.

Lerner offers Lambert a four year deal and sells it to him like this; "You hang around and look after the place until I sell up, and when I do, the new owners will give you a big payout - it'll be shit Paul, but think of the money." Lambert thinks, "Aye, I'll take a few million pounds in a few months time and get mysell away to another job - my football reputation might be a bit pants, but other chairman love a bloke who'll look after them."

Done.

But....seven months later, we're no nearer a sale; seven months later, there's not a sale on the horizon as far as we're aware, seven months later and the fans are in uproar, the clubs not doing so well and Lerner is faced once again with a dilemma. Does he now have to sack the manager and be the victim of his own scheme? Having to make that big payout himself and then look for a new manager and the finance he'd want. or does he batten down the hatches and hope it blows over for long enough to allow him to get out.

He'd love to go for the latter, but there's lots and lots of noise - we're a laughing stock and more importantly we could go down if he does nothing. It's a very difficult one for him, but there's a bullet there thats screaming to be bitten.

For Lambert things aren't much easier - one day before too long he'll be significantly better off and out of this hell hole - but by then, he might have destroyed his footballing reputation to the extent that he'll never work again - at what point does wanting to remain a football manager become more important than a pay off of several million pounds? I wouldn't be too surprised if he were to approach Lerner with a compromise. Right now, he's becoming unemployable and lets face it, no one's going to want to put the mumbling monotony of his voice into a TV studio so there's not a great deal of other work out there.

In the midst of that we took on an assistant to make it fun for Lambert while he hung about, but Keane I think figured out no sale was happening and that it looked like he'd be here a lot longer than he wanted to be so he scarpered. He might be the only one who's put his reputation before cash in this story - but he can at least top it up in book sales.

So everyone is trapped, Lerner, Lambert, Aston Villa Football Club and you and me - and the biggest problem we have, even bigger than our shocking record of scoring goals remains that there is nobody on this planet that wants to buy this football club - until that changes I can't see how we untangle the little mess that these two got themselves into over dinner in the Hamptons this summer.

Great post OBE, you could call it 'The £65m Gamble'.

A  good post, I agree with a lot of it, however I am wondering what is the compromise you speak of? Mutual consent? Smaller payoff?

Yes, I think it might become prudent for Lambert to make Lerner an offer - "I'll go for a million rather than three million if you let me go now."

A  good post, I agree with a lot of it, however I am wondering what is the compromise you speak of? Mutual consent? Smaller payoff?

Yes, I think it might become prudent for Lambert to make Lerner an offer - "I'll go for a million rather than three million if you let me go now."

Lambert will be lucky to get a job with a League One side if he goes now. He'll wait to be sacked and take the payout or turn it around.

This is worse than McLeish.

We'll get steadily worse under each successive manager unless there's investment. The one thing we've got going for us is Lambert's eye for a good transfer deal.

total myth. How many players has he signed and how many have improved the club.

This is worse than McLeish.

No it really isn't!

It is, by some distance.

Nope.

At no point under McLeish did I fear going behind simply because we couldn't score goals.

It's as if people have forgotten the whole point of football. You put the round thing in the net. If you don't do that, then what on earth are you doing?

• Like 1

I'd still prefer to stick with Lambert than go back on the managerial merry go round. He shot himself in the foot today though, golden opportunity to get some fans back on side even if we still lost.

To me the current situation reminds me of Mario kart when you fall off a ledge, then just as you get back on the track a shell gets you, then as you're starting off, someone rams you, which knocks you off the edge again. Here, the injuries, the red cards, the lack of lucky goals others seem to get, the rise of form of teams just by the time we play them, we just can't catch a break.

But I can't help but feel that if you're running against a wind, eventually that wind will go away and you're left with big muscles. Or something.

• Like 3

Â