Paul Lambert

limpid

In fact, we could put a strawberry cheesecake in charge and we'd probably score a goal.

Yes, the palpable relief at finally getting the strawberry cheesecake in in place of Lambert would give the team a huge boost. Then after a couple of games on honeymoon with the strawberry cheesecake we'd all realise that dessert items are poor football managers and Lerner would hire Harry Redknapp, fresh from being sacked by QPR.

• Like 1

Still retains my support . Anyone surprised ?

Still has my support too. It's as if he fixes one problem then another arises.

First two seasons we were banging goals in but leaking more. Now we're conceding less but getting nothing in the final third.

The back four are decent, fair play to Hutton for working hard and he really has improved. Hats off.

Okore and Clark are a good pairing and Baker is decent backup for Clark. Clark for captain for me to be honest. Cissokho does the job, finding a top quality left back is hard never mind on a shoestring.

The midfield needs a little work but we're getting there. Sanchez and Westwood are decent but similar, Sanchez for me.

Delph can go if he wants. Bacuna should probably see a bit more game time, he's a good squad player and useful at times.

Cleverly should never be chosen ahead of Gil again. He's on loan and Gil has signed for the club, sticking a loaned player on in his place would just be poor form.

Now for the front three.

I can't wait for Kozak to come back, I always rated him, even in his limited appearances. He just looks like a big striker that gets in the right areas, something Benteke isn't doing (I'll get back to 'The Beast' in a minute)

Gabby needs to be rested for a bit to try out different formations without him. He can change a game but it's rare, he's also not Captain material.

I like Weimann, I think he's a great poacher and sticking him in the box instead of out wide would bring goals, but that means displacing Benteke.

Benteke. One and a half good seasons a world class player does not make. He's either offside or not moving much. Berating team mates for what amounts to not moving for the ball is unacceptable. Yeah, you hammered in a good few goals previously but his attitude at the minute stinks. I can understand his frustration but it doesn't excuse petulance and behaving like a spoiled child.

Lambert needs to sort out a few things in the team, time will tell if he has the stones to make the needed changes. There has been progress in some areas but there has also been regression in others.

• Like 1

He's our manager so he's got my support and hopes he can turn it around

That doesn't mean I think he's doing a good job or even want him at the club any more (id like nothing more than to wake up to news of his dismissal) - just that while he's here, like any manager, he'll have my support

Edited by P3te
  • Like 2

First two seasons we were banging goals in but leaking more. Now we're conceding less but getting nothing in the final third.

The back four are decent, fair play to Hutton for working hard and he really has improved. Hats off.

Okore and Clark are a good pairing and Baker is decent backup for Clark. Clark for captain for me to be honest. Cissokho does the job, finding a top quality left back is hard never mind on a shoestring.

The midfield needs a little work but we're getting there. Sanchez and Westwood are decent but similar, Sanchez for me.

Delph can go if he wants. Bacuna should probably see a bit more game time, he's a good squad player and useful at times.

Cleverly should never be chosen ahead of Gil again. He's on loan and Gil has signed for the club, sticking a loaned player on in his place would just be poor form.

Now for the front three.

I can't wait for Kozak to come back, I always rated him, even in his limited appearances. He just looks like a big striker that gets in the right areas, something Benteke isn't doing (I'll get back to 'The Beast' in a minute)

Gabby needs to be rested for a bit to try out different formations without him. He can change a game but it's rare, he's also not Captain material.

I like Weimann, I think he's a great poacher and sticking him in the box instead of out wide would bring goals, but that means displacing Benteke.

Benteke. One and a half good seasons a world class player does not make. He's either offside or not moving much. Berating team mates for what amounts to not moving for the ball is unacceptable. Yeah, you hammered in a good few goals previously but his attitude at the minute stinks. I can understand his frustration but it doesn't excuse petulance and behaving like a spoiled child.

Lambert needs to sort out a few things in the team, time will tell if he has the stones to make the needed changes. There has been progress in some areas but there has also been regression in others.

Thank you for this excellent post. Sums up my view down to the last word.

• Like 2

first half stats

B7kCFuiIEAAvctE.jpg

Firstly, it seemed to me that we could easily (and should probably) have been more than one goal down at half time and thus it seemed like there was more in it than 'not too much'.

Secondly, would you like to post the stats for the second half from the same source, please?

It may just go a long way to show, as has been said on here so many times by so many different people, that bare stats may not tell the whole story (and if they're expediently used on the occasions when they can be to support a particular viewpoint then they start to become useless).

I think we were the better side in the second half, especially when the substitutions were made, and we had some very good chances but to take the overall impression out of the game that it was much of a muchness in the first half and we battered them in the second only to lose two nil to a side that had just three fewer shots overall and more shots on target than we did is really trying to skew things.

Edited by snowychap

As many as care, probably.

Anyone who still supports him does not care about this club. You have to be mentally unwell to not see what he is doing to the club

As much as I criticized the frustration shown by another poster at those who didn't share his faith, I think your comments are utterly crass (and wrong). Edited by snowychap

Now for the front three.

I'm not sure why any of that makes him still have your support.

You rightly point out some of the strengths we have in the squad and at times today it showed the kind of pontential this squad has.

The issue is there's been nothing during his time here to suggest he will get the potential out of this squad.

• Like 1

I think Mon sucked the life out of Lerner and he subsequently sucked the life out of Lambert and he has sucked the life out of us......each incumbent has had the effect on the other.

Since arriving :

Lerner has got worse

Lambert has got worse

and most of his players have got worse

just watch Sanchez in a few months :(....hope I am wrong Though.

Football is a game of two halfs

You cannot play 4 CM's in the first half at home + Tom Cleverley then claim we deserved to get anything out of the game

Fortune favors the brave

Lambert was not brave in his team selection instead he was boring predictable and we fail to score yet again as a result

I can't wait till Lerner and his puppet leave this club

Edited by AshVilla

He thinks we dominated the game...

684642.gif

Stretching it a bit, but not by too much. We did have fifteen attempts at goal.

We bossed the second half and should have taken one of the umpteen chances we had. Over the last two games I criticised Lambert for our lack of penetration, with Delph and Gil on we looked a different side. One capable of staying up!

I am not sure whether intentional or not, but we seemed to play 4-4-2 second half with Gil free to roam.

Edited by macandally

I think Lambert and Lerner came to an agreement in the summer that suited them both - and it's ended up being a nightmare for both.

From Lerner's point of view he needed to make sure he'd got a manager while he sold the club - he could do without the trouble of finding another manager and then having to give him money - a bit like having to put new tyres on a car you're trying to sell; a pain in the arse and going to cost you money. But, there lurked the spectre of his current manager (who was probably a bit bored of trying to keep the club afloat and didn't seem to be enjoying it a great deal) buggering off to Celtic.

From Lambert's point of view, he was in a miserable job, with none of his mates left, no money to change it and the likelihood it'd be sold and he'd be sacked pretty imminently - he'd have been looking to find a way out.

The solution - money.

Lerner offers Lambert a four year deal and sells it to him like this; "You hang around and look after the place until I sell up, and when I do, the new owners will give you a big payout - it'll be shit Paul, but think of the money." Lambert thinks, "Aye, I'll take a few million pounds in a few months time and get mysell away to another job - my football reputation might be a bit pants, but other chairman love a bloke who'll look after them."

Done.

But....seven months later, we're no nearer a sale; seven months later, there's not a sale on the horizon as far as we're aware, seven months later and the fans are in uproar, the clubs not doing so well and Lerner is faced once again with a dilemma. Does he now have to sack the manager and be the victim of his own scheme? Having to make that big payout himself and then look for a new manager and the finance he'd want. or does he batten down the hatches and hope it blows over for long enough to allow him to get out.

He'd love to go for the latter, but there's lots and lots of noise - we're a laughing stock and more importantly we could go down if he does nothing. It's a very difficult one for him, but there's a bullet there thats screaming to be bitten.

For Lambert things aren't much easier - one day before too long he'll be significantly better off and out of this hell hole - but by then, he might have destroyed his footballing reputation to the extent that he'll never work again - at what point does wanting to remain a football manager become more important than a pay off of several million pounds? I wouldn't be too surprised if he were to approach Lerner with a compromise. Right now, he's becoming unemployable and lets face it, no one's going to want to put the mumbling monotony of his voice into a TV studio so there's not a great deal of other work out there.

In the midst of that we took on an assistant to make it fun for Lambert while he hung about, but Keane I think figured out no sale was happening and that it looked like he'd be here a lot longer than he wanted to be so he scarpered. He might be the only one who's put his reputation before cash in this story - but he can at least top it up in book sales.

So everyone is trapped, Lerner, Lambert, Aston Villa Football Club and you and me - and the biggest problem we have, even bigger than our shocking record of scoring goals remains that there is nobody on this planet that wants to buy this football club - until that changes I can't see how we untangle the little mess that these two got themselves into over dinner in the Hamptons this summer.

A  good post, I agree with a lot of it, however I am wondering what is the compromise you speak of? Mutual consent? Smaller payoff?

Â