Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

"Tom Cleverley has told Aston Villa: Offer me a permanent deal, I’m ready to sign!

The in-form midfielder says he is happy at Villa Park and excited about the club’s future prospects.

With three goals in as many games and a return to the England squad now firmly on the horizon, Cleverley will not be short of suitors when he becomes a free agent next month.

He has no future at Manchester United but despite a number of Premier League clubs showing a renewed interest, the 25-year-old appears to be content with staying in the Midlands.

Providing Villa can match his financial needs, Cleverley is ready to put pen-to-paper once Premier League survival is confirmed.

“I’m playing my football with a massive smile on my face and enjoying myself here,” he said.

“We’ve got a great group of lads and I’m getting on well with the manager so those are all factors that show I’m happy.

“I’ve really grown to like playing for this club in the last few months and this manager has got to be given credit for getting me where I’ve been in the last few weeks,”

Cleverley has stressed that money isn’t a motivating factor in his decision, however with other clubs likely to offer him a healthy salary he’d be naive not to listen to other offers.

Boss Tim Sherwood knows as much and joked: ‘We’ll offer him £250 and someone else will come in with £50,000.

“I’ll just tell him if he won’t sign he’s not playing in the cup final!”

When asked what it would take to sign a long-term deal at Villa, Cleverley said: “First of all you’ve got to be playing in a position where you fit in, and playing at a club where you like the players and the manager.

“This club ticks all the boxes so we’ll see what happens.

“First of all the club have to offer me something.

“I don’t think any Premier League players are going to be short of a quid or two so I think you’ve just got to be happy first and foremost and I am at this club so let’s just see where we go from there.”

His comments will be well received by the Villa faithful who, despite booing him when he performed badly earlier this term, have really warmed to his energetic display."

I have to say that I am have been completely proved wrong by Clevs and I was his harshest critic. Although it has to be said that under Lambert he was looking like the Cleverley I've seen at Man U/Wigan (ie shit). Playing well now though, running his socks off, really seems to care. Box to box. Very Scholes like the way he ghosted in for the goal yesterday. Suddenly 8m looks like a snip.

People say that he's like Scholes because he's a United youth product. He's nothing like him IMO.

That's not trying to put a downer on the way Cleverley has performed, because he's been fantastic for us! I love the guy. I just think that he's more of an energetic, box to box midfielder rather than a playmaker like Scholes. More Frank Lampard than Scholes in playing style!

What a **** turnaround, because I actually just jizzed a little over this news...before I would have been hanging myself lol.

(lol-reads and spits out coffee)

Bit more than a needed to know really....

But sounds a win-win for me. Player enjoying playing for the world's greatest team and wants to sign for us. 

You know it makes sense.

Great to hear that he is happy here although it is evident from his body language anyway. Confident he'll stay after those comments but we'll see I guess, let's see if he is true to his word regarding cash.

People say that he's like Scholes because he's a United youth product. He's nothing like him IMO.

If you're talking to me I didnt say he was like Scholes. I said it was Scholes esque to way he made his run and was unmarked for the tap-in. Because of his spectacular goals, it often gets lost on so many football fans how many tap-ins Scholes scored in his career. He was an absolute master and making late runs and being wide open. Cleverley's goal reminded me of Scholes for that reason.

If you're talking to me I didnt say he was like Scholes. I said it was Scholes esque to way he made his run and was unmarked for the tap-in. Because of his spectacular goals, it often gets lost on so many football fans how many tap-ins Scholes scored in his career. He was an absolute master and making late runs and being wide open. Cleverley's goal reminded me of Scholes for that reason.

It was not just your comment, I've read a few times that people said he was the next Scholes when he was coming through at United.

I agree with the fact that Scholes did in fact scores goals like that and it does show good anticipation timing your runs well into the box from midfield.

• Like 1

Top quality again, what a turn around this has been, Sherwood has given him more of a licence to get involved going forward and he has relished the opportunity, clearly.

Good job we didn't cancel his contract like you wanted then.

It was not just your comment, I've read a few times that people said he was the next Scholes when he was coming through at United.

I agree with the fact that Scholes did in fact scores goals like that and it does show good anticipation timing your runs well into the box from midfield.

Surely the key question is where he fits on the Albrighton-Iniesta scale?

I knew next to nothing about TC prior to him joining us and until Sherwood came in I honestly couldn't work out what he was doing on the pitch. That said every player under Lambert this season was struggling to find any real form so he wasn't alone.

TC is an excellent player, not just because of the important goals he has scored but his work rate is really impressive. After saving 8m buying him we should at least match his Utd pay if not improve it.

Â