Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

There was no chance of him getting in the squad who ever he played for if he had a season like he'd had here. Yes he's been quality but it generally takes more than a couple of months of good form to get into recognition, more so in the England Midfield. Take a look at the midfield, off just the back of short recent form he is unlikely to replace any of those. Some because they deserve to be there and a favourite like Wilshere who was always going to get picked and maybe Mason (is this his 2nd time) who has been another chance for Roy to look at him in training.

I think his not making the England squad may not help him to choose us.

If he was playing for Everton now I suspect he would have made the squad because Everton players seem to find the England squad easier to make than do our players in general.

Everton looked his likely destination when he joined us but I think things have changed now. I hope to see him in our shirt and an England shirt next season if the former WBA boss can bring himself to select a second Villa player for a future England squad.

Agree. He might feel he deserves a call up and could feel that playing for us is the issue.

Jamie Vardy though? He's only scored one more goal than Clev this season.

And he's an absolute whopper.

Yep, a weird decision.

How many players have we lost having been tapped up on England duty by the Sky 5 players?

This is a myth IMO. We lose them because the standard of the average England player is better than the standard of the average Villa player. So when they get called up for England, it's not surprising other clubs want them, because they're obviously playing well.

Benteke had hardly featured for Belgium before we signed him. Now he's getting in the side regularly, he's been linked with other clubs. Do people want him because he's very good and making the Belgium side? Or is this all down to Mignolet/Hazard/Courtois tapping him up?

Being good/being an International footballer is going to go hand in hand with being linked to other clubs. This tapping up stuff is nonsense. These players have agents and professionals behind the scenes, I hardly think they need Raheem Sterling to go and have words.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

Jamie Vardy though? He's only scored one more goal than Clev this season.

And he's an absolute whopper.

Yeah Vardy is a weird one but there's quite a big difference in getting into this current squad as a forward than in midfield. Once you take into account injured players and those in the U21's there's not a load of quality English strikers banging in the door. Edited by AlwaysAVFC

How many players have we lost having been tapped up on England duty by the Sky 5 players?

This is a myth IMO. We lose them because the standard of the average England player is better than the standard of the average Villa player. So when they get called up for England, it's not surprising other clubs want them, because they're obviously playing well.

The average Villa player doesnt get a call up for England. Our best ones

Benteke had hardly featured for Belgium before we signed him. Now he's getting in the side regularly, he's been linked with other clubs. Do people want him because he's very good and making the Belgium side? Or is this all down to Mignolet/Hazard/Courtois tapping him up?

Benteke -> Drogba-like - Hazard to Benteke - Hi Ben, look at my medals, d'ya fancy some too?

Jose says hi

Being good/being an International footballer is going to go hand in hand with being linked to other clubs. This tapping up stuff is nonsense.

Players dont talk to each other about their work invironment?

These players have agents and professionals behind the scenes, I hardly think they need Raheem Sterling to go and have words.

Sorry - disagree with you

Benteke -> Drogba-like - Hazard to Benteke - Hi Ben, look at my medals, d'ya fancy some too?

Jose says hi

Being good/being an International footballer is going to go hand in hand with being linked to other clubs. This tapping up stuff is nonsense.

These players have agents and professionals behind the scenes, I hardly think they need Raheem Sterling to go and have words.

I also disagree. Because most footballers have egos. Benteke is going to play for Belgium time after time, being an important player for the team and looking around to see that he's the only player in the team who 1) plays for a team outside of the champions league 2) plays for a team not challenging every season domestically. (Apart from maybe Alderwield at southampton, but he was at Athletico last season). 

Then the players obviously text etc etc and become friends and they probably feel like they're missing out. I imagine this is what happened with players like Barry in the past. 

It's not a case of tapping up in my opinion, it's more to do with feeling they're too good for us. 

Edited by avfcwills10

Jose says hi

I never said average Villa players get called up, I said the average standard of a Villa player is worse than the average standard of an England player. Therefore, Villa players getting called up for England, generally speaking, are "too good" for lack of a better phrase, for Villa.

I never said that players don't talk to each other. I said suggesting that's why they move is hilarious. Are you suggesting non of these players or their agents talk to each other outside of the England camp?

Players move to top clubs because the top club thinks they're good enough. That goes hand in hand with being an International player. This whole "tapping up" nonsense is very small minded and just a way for people to whinge about other clubs.

Do you think we only keep our shit players because they don't play for England/other top nations? No. We keep them because they aren't good enough to play those nations.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Players want to play at the highest level and make the most money. Villa doesn't offer either of these. Being 'tapped up' on international duty plays little if any part other than giving one top club the edge over another top club. If someone is good enough for a Champions League to come in for they are going there and its not because Terry, Wilshere or whoever was whispering sweet nothings in their ear.

Exactly. We're talking about multi-million pound business with carefully chosen lists of players they want to sign. Nobody puts all of that into the vague hope that Wilshere manages to find time to have a quiet word with Delph in the showers. 

I don't think not being picked by England is going to affect whether Cleverly stays with us. Its not as though playing for Villa means you don't get calls ups as history shows that you clearly do. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

I don't think not being picked by England is going to affect whether Cleverly stays with us. Its not as though playing for Villa means you don't get calls ups as history shows that you clearly do. 

Of course, Hodgson has shown that it really doesn't matter what club you play for, as long as you are performing in the Premier League and playing well you will get noticed. 

Players want to play at the highest level and make the most money. Villa doesn't offer either of these. Being 'tapped up' on international duty plays little if any part other than giving one top club the edge over another top club. If someone is good enough for a Champions League to come in for they are going there and its not because Terry, Wilshere or whoever was whispering sweet nothings in their ear.

It's almost as if people think Ashley Young went on International duty without knowing United were a good side, who win things and pay good money and only found out by talking to Rooney. 

I have no ITK but i'm confident we will sign him in the summer. TS has resurrected his career and looking at his body language he is loving playing for us. He also also forged a great partnership with Delph and Westwood.

The whole Everton / Martinez thing is just media / agent BS. Everton have had a bang average season and Martinez is hardly tearing up trees there, so it's hardly a dream move of him. On paper Villa have much more potential and I think he will see that.

Edited by Harry

Didn't he say in an interview a couple of weeks ago that he'd love to stay here and we just need to offer him a contract and he'll sign? Obviously he'd be a bit daft not to at least listen to other offers, but I'm pretty sure he said being happy playing football and like the people he's working with are up there with the most important factors for him, and he seems to have both of them with us. 

Unless we offer chicken feed or someone comes in and offers him significantly more money than we can, I'd say it looks very promising that he'll sign with us, assuming he meant what he said in that interview.

EDIT - Yep, here's the article.

Edited by Ginko

Didn't he say in an interview a couple of weeks ago that he'd love to stay here and we just need to offer him a contract and he'll sign? Obviously he'd be a bit daft not to at least listen to other offers, but I'm pretty sure he said being happy playing football and like the people he's working with are up there with the most important factors for him, and he seems to have both of them with us.

Unless we offer chicken feed or someone comes in and offers him significantly more money than we can, I'd say it looks very promising that he'll sign with us, assuming he meant what he said in that interview.

EDIT - Yep, here's the article.

Reading this reminded me of Downing coming out and saying he'd sign a new contract only to force a move to Liverpool later that summer. Talk can be very cheap.

Get this one done and let's not mess about!

I think it's important to realise that I believe Downing was being interviewed on a live webchat with the OS, whereas Cleverley was speaking to the Birmingham Mail and had no obligation to say anything, and if you weren't seriously considering staying at the club at that point, surely you'd just come up with more diplomatic answers.

You can tell he gets on with the lads and enjoys playing his football for us. I'm not saying that money doesn't talk, and he's well within his rights to listen to other offers, I just think we have a good chance as long as we can offer him a realistic deal. We should pull out all the stops. He's been a different player under Sherwood and players like him don't come along on frees very often. He'd be a great bit of business.

Â