Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

That is excellent news.

For me this is one of three things that need to happen during the summer before we add to the squad.

If we can sign Cleverley to a deal and give new contracts to Benteke and Vlaar we'll have an excellent chance of finally getting out of this relegation cycle.

Was he really booed by the fans earlier in his time at Villa? I'd forgotten that, although it's hard to see how anyone could have known it was just him being booed. The whole team was getting flak, wasn't it?

Was he really booed by the fans earlier in his time at Villa? I'd forgotten that, although it's hard to see how anyone could have known it was just him being booed. The whole team was getting flak, wasn't it?

Didn't he get greeted with ironic cheers when he was subbed?

This was right around the time that people were debating whether or not there was a must play clause in his loan deal IIRC.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

He looks happy and is playing great football. Why should he leave us? As long as we match any offer he gets I can he staying here.

I think its more of a lifestyle change from the northwest hollyoaks crowd.

Cleverley and Sinclairs Mrs's won't approve imo.

Don't know about Cleverley but I wouldn't worry about Helen, she is settled here in Sutton she enjoys it here and they are looking to stay providing we stay up of course. Up to you if believe it or not but thought I'd clear it up.

Off Topic but I posted in the Sinclair thread a while ago that a few papers had pictures of him and his missus house hunting in Sutton. So it's looked like they thought the permanent deal was happening for a while

He looks happy and is playing great football. Why should he leave us? As long as we match any offer he gets I can he staying here.

I think its more of a lifestyle change from the northwest hollyoaks crowd.

Cleverley and Sinclairs Mrs's won't approve imo.

Don't know about Cleverley but I wouldn't worry about Helen, she is settled here in Sutton she enjoys it here and they are looking to stay providing we stay up of course. Up to you if believe it or not but thought I'd clear it up.

Off Topic but I posted in the Sinclair thread a while ago that a few papers had pictures of him and his missus house hunting in Sutton. So it's looked like they thought the permanent deal was happening for a while

So that would be peeping tom ?

Sorry

I think Cleverly and Sherwood are a match made in heaven. Clevs is a real confidence player, and Sherwood has confidence to spare. Cleverly got a load of stick but he's won me round with a string of great performances, and now he's added goals to his record here I'd be very happy indeed if he signed. This could be a great bit of business for us.

An England place can't be far away for him now.  He has been absolutely superb these last few games, quite brilliant in fact.  That midfield of Cleverley, Delph and Westwood is as close to perfection as I can remember. 

Remember when our 3 midfielders were described as very similar.

They really aren't are they. They all have clear, defined roles now.

Yep.

I said it as much as anyone that they were too similar to play in the same midfield.

They must have just being told to do the same job because I'm not sure I can remember a midfield working as well together for us.

Remember when our 3 midfielders were described as very similar.

They really aren't are they. They all have clear, defined roles now.

Yep.

I said it as much as anyone that they were too similar to play in the same midfield.

They must have just being told to do the same job because I'm not sure I can remember a midfield working as well together for us.

That's exactly it. I said it as well.

Westwood kind of played the deeper role but the reality was they all just sat as 3 and passed it sideways. I'd love to get into Lambert's head and understand what the reasoning was. Was it just too retain possession?

Don't know if it was that or a lack of motivation.

The passing and possession was there. Can't deny that. But the movement was diabolical. No forward runs and never linking the midfield to the attack. That was the biggest problem.

Now we have both.

Don't know if it was that or a lack of motivation.

The passing and possession was there. Can't deny that. But the movement was diabolical. No forward runs and never linking the midfield to the attack. That was the biggest problem.

Now we have both.

Ideally now what we need is another midfielder or two who can play in place of Cleverley or Delph when they are injured or need resting.

Even through all his faults I think Sanchez is an adequate player to rotate/challenge Westwood for the deeper lying role so I think that is sorted.

Possibly Gardner next season?

I think it was when he was being subbed there were ironic cheers and there was some booing of the player (as there was whilst Richardson was on the pitch in the QPR game I think justified or not - personally while a player wears the shirt ON the pitch I never boo a player).

I don't remember which game it was but there was some!

I think once our premiership survival is confirmed we'll see a fair bit of news on players, and I think (and hope) Cleverley will be one of them.

Gone quite quiet for Vlaar too, unless Van Gaal comes sniffing again i don't think he's going to get a better offer than a new one here.

A new deal for Benteke is a long shot, but if we win FA cup and get into Europe you just never know.

There was some booing around January time, I think it may have been against Chelsea when his name was read out. 

They were dark days and he had completely lost his steady early season form (IMO that!). I'm not condoning it, but it's clearly not weighing on his mind anymore. 

Â