Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Interview with Tom Fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6xBmwV4xB0

Wants to get into the top 6, challenge for domestic cups by increasing revenue. Went to Villa to specifically work for Randy Lerner.

I lasted 39 seconds, then shut it down in case the US style corporate-speak made me vomit on my nice new sofa.
In the first 39 seconds he complimented the weather and said how warmly he'd been welcomed by villa and felt like he'd joined a new family.

I'm unsure which part of that qualifies as corporate speak?

He said he'd left the arse "family" and joined another "family". We can't all be like families. I assume the interview must have improved from then on. Maybe I should stick it out for a bit longer.

Edit: Okay, put me down for a miserable **** award. Good interview (after the 39 seconds).

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 1

Good positive interview, but can he deliver? Impresses me more than Faulkner ever did. I few things I gleamed from that

-There will be more clearer communication between CEO and the fans over clubs expectations and aspirations

-Fox will have a big role in player recruitment, and there will be a more coherent buying policy

-Looks like we are dabbling in sabemetrics/smart data in getting players.Obvious for a club without major spending power.

-Lerner is not looking at selling up and now after making public he has had enough, has changed his mind. Either no one was matching his price, or by going public he has taken a weight off his mind and now just wants to enjoy owning Villa again, making the club sustainable but hopefully also successful.

-The North Stand is never going to happen. Planning for a 6-10th side is not going to get 50,000 in. A more modest target of top 10's and cup runs will satisfy most Villa fans.

Could be interesting times for Villa. Lerner 2.0.

Interview with Tom Fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6xBmwV4xB0

Wants to get into the top 6, challenge for domestic cups by increasing revenue. Went to Villa to specifically work for Randy Lerner.

I lasted 39 seconds, then shut it down in case the US style corporate-speak made me vomit on my nice new sofa.
In the first 39 seconds he complimented the weather and said how warmly he'd been welcomed by villa and felt like he'd joined a new family.

I'm unsure which part of that qualifies as corporate speak?

He said he'd left the arse "family" and joined another "family". We can't all be like families. I assume the interview must have improved from then on. Maybe I should stick it out for a bit longer.

I think we have very different definitions of "corporate" speak if that qualifies for you.

I really think if Randy has changed his mind about selling then he'd just say so. All this recent talk about being re-enthused is just PR to give a projection of a settled club and to make up for what he said in his statement in May when he said his heart wasn't in it anymore. I'd imagine the only difference perhaps between then and now is that he now realises that it's going to take a little longer to sell the club.

Not really sure what else Fox could have said.

This interview just backs up the one I saw when he was at Arsenal. He realises that to grow a club you have to do it in all aspects and have a solid foundation. Under MON we was top heavy with wages out of sync with revenue and we collapsed now we have a CEO who realises wages have to grow with revenue app but you also have to squeeze everything out of your existing funds to benefit. It'll be interesting how Lambert gets on with him as a big thing from his time at Arsenal was the brand of football as this is a key factor in getting fans at the games. All in that's the most positive interview we've had in years and at least it tells us what we want to achieve in the coming seasons.

• Like 2

I really think if Randy has changed his mind about selling then he'd just say so. All this recent talk about being re-enthused is just PR to give a projection of a settled club and to make up for what he said in his statement in May when he said his heart wasn't in it anymore. I'd imagine the only difference perhaps between then and now is that he now realises that it's going to take a little longer to sell the club.

You might believe that, but I don't think Fox does or he wouldn't have left Arsenal.

Truth is Randy can let the club run itself without losing much money whilst waiting for a buyer. I really doubt he will ever get all his money back. Getting in a good CEO is a bonus. I have a feeling Lerner hurts quite badly about things not working out and it isn't a case of him just giving up, but that he can't afford to bankroll a club in the current climate. Re-enthused doesn't really come into it. He isn't going to spend £30m a transfer window again, it's a case of being really efficient off the field so that Lambert can get the best he can for the club on the pitch.

I wish we had had this guy on board years ago I really do.

Depends on how many years ago we are talking. If it's when Randy took over, I doubt another naive American would have stopped O'Neill spunking away tens of millions. If it was 3 years ago, I doubt Fox would even consider taking on a massive cost-cutting exercise. I think now is the right time.

Good, positive interview. I hope he can work his corporate magic to increase revenue as it's only going to benefit us with or without Lerner.

That said, it's a shame he didn't go into any detail about the contract discussions, if only just to confirm they had actually happened......

Edited by yayoboy

I wish we had had this guy on board years ago I really do.

Depends on how many years ago we are talking. If it's when Randy took over, I doubt another naive American would have stopped O'Neill spunking away tens of millions. If it was 3 years ago, I doubt Fox would even consider taking on a massive cost-cutting exercise. I think now is the right time.

"Another naive American"

Xenophobia is fun.

Fills me with confidence for the future, I could understand why RL wanted to sell, he was out of his depth and sinking fast loosing both money and the fans, I can see how he is now more optimistic and enthused. Mr Fox could just be the missing link that we have been craving, a business man who also knows football. To talk about CL at this moment would be foolhardy and pie in the sky and I respect his honesty, We may just be on the way back up again, Maybe RL with this new enthusiasm may just release the purse strings and things will change and turn out to be the best owner for the job, after all we were all fully behind him when he came, he just got carried away and we all know the result, this time we have Mr Fox who can orchestrate it correctly for the club and take the pressure off him.

Â