Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Id say fox was brought in to handle the commercial side, gets us better money for sponsorships and kit deals, the chances of him having any sway regarding the manager are minimal

you're probably right, but in that case he should have been appointed as Chief Commercial Officer, or similar.

If he genuinely has been brought in as the top man, then if he wants PL gone, his boss HAS to back him.

Otherwise, he may well realise he is just another patsy with no real power or responsibility at the club.     

• Like 1

My guess is that he was brought in to help us become a more attractive proposition for prospective buyers.

I'd like to see him try and sell us as a brand with the fans hating the manager?

Well if he thinks we'll be a more 'attractive proposition' without Lambert it'll be interesting to see if can convince Lerner of it. I do think Fox will be more ruthless than Faulkner but as has been said it's Randy's decision in the end.

My guess is that he was brought in to help us become a more attractive proposition for prospective buyers.

I'd like to see him try and sell us as a brand with the fans hating the manager?

Well if he thinks we'll be a more 'attractive proposition' without Lambert it'll be interesting to see if can convince Lerner of it. I do think Fox will be more ruthless than Faulkner but as has been said it's Randy's decision in the end.

Yea i don't think it was PF's decision whether or not to be ruthless and although i could never actually know this i don't think for a second Fox will be making these decisions either. Lerner likes Lambert and that's why he wasn't sacked in January of his first season like most chairmen would have and the 3 or 4 similar periods since, he certainly wont do it mid season his 8 or so years here have told us that.

It has been a bit of a poisoned chalice for all the previous CEO's, so not expecting much.

for me football clubs have always been about managers....There hasn't been very many really successful clubs with bad managers.....but there has been successful clubs with poor chairman.

From the club statement when Lambert's contract was extended:

"Chief Executive Tom Fox said: "I am delighted that we have extended manager Paul Lambert's contract to the end of the 2017-18 season. "Paul and Randy had been in discussions regarding this move when I came on board and we concluded our agreement last week. We have a long-term vision for Villa and Paul is completely integrated into our plan to manage the Club carefully and ambitiously back to a position in the Barclays Premier League appropriate to our history and collective expectations."

• 5 weeks later...

Time for Action Tom ?  - or you just Randy's Puppet ?

Chill dude, he's just brought a touch of Black Friday to the club shop 25quid away shirts.

The Guys been upto his neck in it all week thinking this one up.

• Like 1

I do not know what his responsibilities are....but i would suspect that trying to get commercial deals on the backdrop of the footballing side of the club must be close to untenable.

I have always taken the view that the most influential and high profile man in a football club is the football manager....He is the kernel of it all.

Edited by TRO

What does Tom Fox do exactly?

You will probably get the same response as if it were Faulkner.

If we're winning its all down to him coming in and randy is a genius and when were not, no one knows what his remit is and Lerner is a word removed

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did this not get posted yet?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tom-fox-feature-aston-villa-8279153

“The days of the rich benefactor funding a club far in excess of the club’s ability to generate its own revenue are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

“A chief commercial officer will come in and help us generate as much revenue as possible on the back of the opportunity that exists at this club.

“If we do that and start generating more revenue, we will have more money to invest in the squad.

“Even given the challenging seasons of the last three or four seasons, when we go to talk to partners and explain that we are going to invest in the football and our commercial infrastructure, and we’re going to take Aston Villa, the sleeping giant, and put it back in it’s rightful place, that’s a journey that sponsors want to be on.

“You then want to make sure you are spending the money in the right way.

“What we’ve done on the football side is make Sean Kimberley head of the academy. He’s also hired a head of recruitment for the academy.

“Paddy Reilly is our director of recruiting overall at Bodymoor Heath and Paddy has hired a whole new scouting network on a full-time basis to cover the whole world.

“I hope that will help us identify talent internationally.

“We’ve also hired someone on the data analysis side from Opta so we can make better use of the data to make decisions on the back of it.

“The plan is simple, to monetise this football club within the global sponsorship market to a greater degree and then to spend that money as efficiently and effective as possible by investing in everything at Bodymoor Heath.”

Some of the jucier bits in the middle, I guess.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tom-fox-feature-aston-villa-8279153

“The days of the rich benefactor funding a club far in excess of the club’s ability to generate its own revenue are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

“A chief commercial officer will come in and help us generate as much revenue as possible on the back of the opportunity that exists at this club.

“If we do that and start generating more revenue, we will have more money to invest in the squad.

“Even given the challenging seasons of the last three or four seasons, when we go to talk to partners and explain that we are going to invest in the football and our commercial infrastructure, and we’re going to take Aston Villa, the sleeping giant, and put it back in it’s rightful place, that’s a journey that sponsors want to be on.

“What we’ve done on the football side is make Sean Kimberley head of the academy. He’s also hired a head of recruitment for the academy.

“Paddy Reilly is our director of recruiting overall at Bodymoor Heath and Paddy has hired a whole new scouting network on a full-time basis to cover the whole world.

“We’ve also hired someone on the data analysis side from Opta so we can make better use of the data to make decisions on the back of it.

“The plan is simple, to monetise this football club within the global sponsorship market to a greater degree and then to spend that money as efficiently and effective as possible by investing in everything at Bodymoor Heath.”

We've only just hired a person to analyse statistical data and advise on player recruitment? Wow.

We've only just hired a person to analyse statistical data and advise on player recruitment? Wow.

It's only "broadly" specific in that we've hired someone. Are they from Opta (contractor) or do they use data just from Opta? Also it doesn't really indicate anything that clearly - were we already getting data from them but making less informed decisions?

I think the obvious assumption is that we had no one doing those things, though.

I was hoping for a report type thing from him on his initial findings

Like This?

Edited by KitKat

Two quotes from Lambert from within the last 6 weeks about stats:

"Statistics are used as to how people want to portray them, but if you talk to any manager, at any level, you have got to try to win. That's your main aim. That's the main statistic and it's one that can cover up some sins".

And:

"I think that game is the most we have had of the ball, possession-wise, but that is why I'm never one for stats - you've got to score. The main stat is putting the ball in the net and keeping it out."

Now, to be sure, some of this is verbal diarrhea, and some of it is ass-covering during a bad run, but I've certainly seen it reported elsewhere that Lambert is particularly uninterested in football stats, which is one of the reasons I think he's unlikely to ever be consistent enough to finish repeatedly in the top half. It's all a bit pre-Moneyball, pre-Opta, 'honest bunch of lads' style for me. It could eventually be a mark against him if the club are serious about using stats better. 

Â