Tom Fox

Cracker1234

He certainly talks the talk. Very impressive interview. Like Trent said above, if only he came in a few years ago.

What could he have realistically done though? Like Lambert he'd still be restricted by the owners decisions.

He certainly talks the talk. Very impressive interview. Like Trent said above, if only he came in a few years ago.

What could he have realistically done though? Like Lambert he'd still be restricted by the owners decisions.

By a few years ago I was referring to when Randy bought the club. Bad terminology by me!

By a few years ago I was referring to when Randy bought the club. Bad terminology by me!

Oh yeah. Agreed then.

Depends if you absolve Faulkner of blame for the last few years, personally I don't.

Listening to Fox talk I can't help but feel that neither Houllier or McLeish would have been appointed which would have been a start.

Aside from that I think Fox is far more astute that Faulkner, far more capable of driving commercial revenue and taking the club forward off the pitch. Had he been here perhaps the emphasis would have been on increasing revenue rather than reducing costs.

Faulkner was in my opinion a yes man, Fox really strikes me as being very different.

• Like 1

Hopefully he will be a big improvement for us but ultimately our success will be determined by the money the owner makes available. And I don't care how great fox is, no one is going to get big revenue increases for a team constantly finishing near the bottom.

It should be fairly clear that the owner isn't going to invest out of his own pocket in the team that ship sailed years ago.

It's all about commercial revenue now and generating enough money to find the main business which is the football side of things.

So in my view in many respects Fox is going to be more important than Lerner.

As promising as his appointment is, what happens if/when Lerner sells the club? If he sells it next June, who's to say the new owner would want to keep Fox on? I wonder how much of an impact the guy will have if he's shown the door in 9 months time. It also makes me wonder why he'd quit a very stable and high profile position at Arsenal for a very unstable position at Villa. He said he took the job because he wanted to work for Lerner, not for Aston Villa. Strange. 

It should be fairly clear that the owner isn't going to invest out of his own pocket in the team that ship sailed years ago.

It's all about commercial revenue now and generating enough money to find the main business which is the football side of things.

If we don't invest our increased TV revenue income what makes you confident we will invest any extra fox generates?

If we don't invest our increased TV revenue income what makes you confident we will invest any extra fox generates?

We did invest it, it went on covering what would have been losses without it

We did invest it, it went on covering what would have been losses without it

I thought our financial position was much better. I'd be surprised if what you said was true for the window that's just gone.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope Mr Fox has as much business nous as we are told. Surely he will see that it will be bad for business (dwindling crowds etc) by keeping Lambert and he is currently looking at replacements. Somehow I doubt he will have much sway on this decision though

• Like 1

I hope Mr Fox has as much business nous as we are told. Surely he will see that it will be bad for business (dwindling crowds etc) by keeping Lambert and he is currently looking at replacements. Somehow I doubt he will have much sway on this decision though

If Randy says "we're not sacking Lambert" then I don't think there's much Fox can do.

If Randy says "we're not sacking Lambert" then I don't think there's much Fox can do.

Here in (i hope ) lies the difference - what if TF goes to Lerner......."ive had a word with Moyes and Pullis and both have indicated they are interested - we could probably hire and fire within a week - I will handle the negiotiations if you like"

Here in (i hope ) lies the difference - what if TF goes to Lerner......."ive had a word with Moyes and Pullis and both have indicated they are interested - we could probably hire and fire within a week - I will handle the negiotiations if you like"

Then that's great.

But the point is if Randy turns around and says "we're not sacking Lambert" then Fox is helpless.

I'm sure Fox would be heavily involved in the search for a new manager if one happens. But the decision is Lerner's.

Then that's great.

But the point is if Randy turns around and says "we're not sacking Lambert" then Fox is helpless.

I'm sure Fox would be heavily involved in the search for a new manager if one happens. But the decision is Lerner's.

I think Lerner will take the easy option. With Faulkner there, that was always to back the manager. Lets hope fox is a bit more savvy. 

I agree that's why I said doubt he will have much sway on the decision

Id say fox was brought in to handle the commercial side, gets us better money for sponsorships and kit deals, the chances of him having any sway regarding the manager are minimal

Â