Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

I thought he had a good game today, ok still some mistakes, but too many people seem to focus only on what he does wrong.

Because what he does wrong usually puts us in trouble. I think he's too much of a liability.

I think people are expecting some slick passing performance from him. He's a stopper. He breaks things up and closes down space. It's no coincidence Eriksen was so quiet today and Kane was dropping deep all the time. They just couldn't find space between our midfield and defence.

He did a good job even by standing in the right place when the Spurs players were looking for a free man.

You need to take the ball off him though when he wins it. He will give it away if he has to try play his way out.

I like him. I think there's a lot to be said for having a big lump in front of the defence.

• Like 3

He did pretty well, got stuck in, defends admirably. Far from abysmal that's for sure. The first yellow was somewhat reckless but the second was taking one for the team.

the 1st yellow was for multiple fouls but Mason made a meal of it

Ah, I see. I thought it was yellow card worthy in itself, was pretty late.

I appreciate what he does off the ball, he fills in gaps and blocks openings which is alot more valuable that it sounds. But on the ball he is utterly terrible, would be ok if was just when he was going forward that he was poor but can hardly string a pass together. 

I think people are being really harsh on Sanchez. It's his first season in the Premier League and i appreciate he makes some glaring mistakes but I still think it's far too early to judge him. How long did Petrov take to adjust to English football and he only came from Scotland. Hopefully we'll see him improve for next season, I still think he could be a very important player for us.

• Like 2

The red was absolutely taking one for the team. Still harsh by the ref but Sanchez couldn't let the attack break.

Seemed to play well to me. There was a turn he did near our area at the end of the game where I almost shit myself, but he came out of about 3 players with the ball and made a great pass to set up a dangerous attack.

yep i agree darren and so does sherwood and i quote tim "he took one for the team knowing cup semi is next week. i want players like that in my team"

says it all 

• Like 1

The red was absolutely taking one for the team. Still harsh by the ref but Sanchez couldn't let the attack break.

It wasn't harsh by the ref to be fair. That was a clear and obvious yellow card.

What was shit by the ref was not giving any of the two fouls on our players just before that.

Disagree on the first point, agree thoroughly on the second.

I'd love a gif of the tackle. A foul yes, but a yellow? If that's a yellow so is every foul in the game.

It was a deliberate and cynical lunge.

A professional foul with the intention of stopping their counter attack.

The very definition of a yellow card.

He took one for the team and fair play I guess. But had that not been a yellow card then it would have been a very poor decision from the ref.

Edited by Stevo985

What really irritates me about Sanchez is he makes the SAME mistakes every week. He is constantly trying to let the ball roll across him but will get tackled easily, he has very little strength and fails to hold up the ball nine times out of ten. He doesn't approach the ball and waits for it to come to him and you don't have that luxury in the middle of the park.

So whilst he blocks some balls well, he has no ability to hold the ball up, pass to other players or read the play. He always looks like he might get sent off with his delayed reading of the game.

It feels like every goal we concede comes from Sanchez hesitation! But I'm not writing him off, for a time he looked like he'd got up to speed but it hasn't been maintained. He's our weakest midfielder and needs to start next season a lot better than this if he is not to be replaced.

I thought the midfield today looked the best it has for 3/4 years tbh.A nice balance of strength, aggression, pace, movement, and Sanchez contributes to that.They have a nice balance.

I like Sanchez, but i don't think he is up to the pace of the Prem yet, and i think that is why he makes mistakes, he expects more time on the ball i think.

I still think , for £4m he will be a very good signing.

I appreciate what he does off the ball, he fills in gaps and blocks openings which is alot more valuable that it sounds. But on the ball he is utterly terrible, would be ok if was just when he was going forward that he was poor but can hardly string a pass together. 

Didn't he play a good pass to Bacuna just before the goal?

He can pass it reasonably o.k imo....the problem is there's always a few occasions a game when his spatial awareness disappears and he just dosen't realise there's an opposition player 5 yards away and just gives them the ball.

He is absolutely woeful-A liability.

I can't believe that people think he brings something to the team-I could break down play & distribute the ball better than Sanchez does-I could race back into position faster, after one of his passes to the opposition as well.

Gutted for him that he misses next week but as far as AV are concerned, we are better off without him.

He has no pace, no vision and no awareness. That's why he was playing in the Spanish 2nd division.

Given the depleted squad, I'd play Okore there next week

• Like 1

He may be in the right place a few times but he does so much wrong. So easily turned, leaves huge gaps at times and is so awful in possession I truly hate when he gets the ball.

The reactions thread has restored a bit more faith that I didn't watch a different game.

He is absolutely woeful

I could break down play & distribute the ball better than Sanchez does-I could race back into position faster, after one of his passes to the opposition as well.

He has no pace, no vision and no awareness. That's why he was playing in the Spanish 2nd division.

:lol:

where are you playing then chief?

• Like 1

Didn't he play a good pass to Bacuna just before the goal?

He can pass it reasonably o.k imo....the problem is there's always a few occasions a game when his spatial awareness disappears and he just dosen't realise there's an opposition player 5 yards away and just gives them the ball.

Nope was Cleverley that gave Bacuna the ball. The memory that sticks out is him being high up the pitch on the right side with lots of options and he did a flick into one of our players chests from about 6 yards.

But like I said I appreciate what he does do well and what effect it has on the team, hes not Makelele but he does give freedom to others. 

Â