Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Sanchez is always going to be one of those players who's good work will generally go unnoticed but I bet the rest of the team love playing with him.

This suggests those that think he played well are able to see stuff others can't.  

Sanchez is always going to be one of those players who's good work will generally go unnoticed but I bet the rest of the team love playing with him.

This suggests those that think he played well are able to see stuff others can't.  

No it doesn't. It suggests that the role of a defensive midfielder is usually very understated and the positives they bring to a team often go unnoticed. Players that used to play with Makelele would say he was the best player in their team. I'm not saying he is anywhere near Makalele but its that 'water carrier' style of player who usually goes under the radar.

Makelele didn't go under the radar.  I think most players that play their position well don't go under the radar.

I think the good things Sanchez does can sometimes be over looked because he cancels it out with errors.

Makelele didn't go under the radar.  I think most players that play their position well don't go under the radar.

I think the good things Sanchez does can sometimes be over looked because he cancels it out with errors.

Makelele absolutely did go under the radar for an incredibly long time. It wasn't until his team mates started to point out the important role that he played in the team that pundits started to focus in on the importance of a defensive minded midfielder.

His good points shouldn't be cancelled out because of mistakes. If he is still making the mistakes on the ball that he does this time next season then i'll be concerned but I don't think he will and I think he is a massive asset to the team.

Edited by sexbelowsound

That shouldn't be the case. Quite the opposite in fact. Putting in overt defensive work like tackling, intercepting, tracking etc. should be easily noticeable.

Off topic but Makelele pretty much created/defined that role. He both went under the radar and defined a new role.

Cheers Stefan, Thats pretty much what I was trying to say. The role didn't 'exist' so to speak before the importance of it was raised.

That shouldn't be the case. Quite the opposite in fact. Putting in overt defensive work like tackling, intercepting, tracking etc. should be easily noticeable.

It should be yes but I think it still gets overlooked. Its almost like the Westwood debate, some people see him as someone who just passes it sideways, others as someone who dictates play. It might well be down to people's preference. I much prefer the defensive aspect of the game because thats the position I play and get the most enjoyment from. I'd probably miss the subtle things that, say a winger does well because it doesn't interest me as much.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Makalele played for real madrid and chelsea, i'm pretty sure he didn't go under the radar, he was clearly a good player.

Sanchez at the age of 29 played for a shit team in spain and a pretty poor team in england.  He also doesn't go under the radar, he got a lot of credit for some of his performances in the world cup and at times when he has played well for us.  Players performing well in their position don't go under the radar.

Edited by DCJonah

Makalele played for real madrid and chelsea, i'm pretty sure he didn't go under the radar, he was clearly a good player.

Sanchez at the age of 29 played for a shit team in spain and a pretty poor team in england.  He also doesn't go under the radar, he got a lot of credit for some of his performances in the world cup and at times when he has played well for us.  Players performing well in their position don't go under the radar.

You can be pretty sure all you like, he did.

Went under the radar from who? People who didn't watch him much.  I'm not claiming to know all about Makalele or that I watched him week in week out but he clearly didn't go under the radar due to the fact he played for top teams and succeeded there.  So people who watched him and saw him play knew he was good.  Sanchez isn't going under the radar because people who watch him are missing things.  

Went under the radar from who? People who didn't watch him much.  I'm not claiming to know all about Makalele or that I watched him week in week out but he clearly didn't go under the radar due to the fact he played for top teams and succeeded there.  So people who watched him and saw him play knew he was good.  Sanchez isn't going under the radar because people who watch him are missing things.  

I was using Makelele as a reference for the position. Defensive midfielders often go under the radar. I think Sanchez's positives far outweigh his negatives and he is a massive asset.

I was using Makelele as a reference for the position. Defensive midfielders often go under the radar. I think Sanchez's positives far outweigh his negatives and he is a massive asset.

Well I disagree, while he won't get the same level of credit as delph or benteke due to the kind of things they can do, good players are noticed when they play well.  There are games when he's been a big asset and his positives outweight his negatives but I didn't think yesterday was one of them. 

I do not think he does go under the radar. I think he is very noticeable, (and not just because of his hair :) ), but because of how involved he is. I have often said he is the sort of player Westwood and Cleverly (obviously Cleverly not so much recently) need to look at to see his positivity and how he influences the game. I think he is already becoming an important player for us.

Makelele, to be fair, was quite infamously underrated until he went to Chelsea.

It's the whole reason he was allowed to go there.

He wasn't appreciated by the real madrid management as much as the star players like ronaldo or zidane, but the fact he went to the richest team in the world for a pretty big fee shows he was hardly an under the radar type of player.

It kind of does.

When he was incredibly highly rated by the players but the management refused to give him a new contract and instead sold him, it shows he was underrated by the management and fans.

Which was basically the point being made about Sanchez (which I actually don't particularly agree with, but there you go)

Edited by Stevo985

Club president Florentino Pérez infamously poured scorn on Makélelé's footballing abilities and proclaimed that Makélelé would not be missed:

We will not miss Makélelé. His technique is average, he lacks the speed and skill to take the ball past opponents, and ninety percent of his distribution either goes backwards or sideways. He wasn't a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres. Younger players will arrive who will cause Makélelé to be forgotten

The point made was fair, even if as Ben above put, I don't agree with it. Sanchez just looks a bit out of his depth.

Exactly. I don't think Sanchez is under appreciated. I just think in a lot of his appearances he's been shit.

But I don't think yesterday was one of those. I thought he did well, but perhaps his recent performances have made people look on him a little less favourably.

Â