Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

Watched the original 3 in the last couple of days, the GL bastardised versions, what the **** was he thinking? The singer in jabbas palace, **** me

And people question why Disney didn't let him near the new ones

The mid 90s remastered VHS edition is the best IMO

• Like 3

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Watched the original 3 in the last couple of days, the GL bastardised versions, what the **** was he thinking? The singer in jabbas palace, **** me

And people question why Disney didn't let him near the new ones

The mid 90s remastered VHS edition is the best IMO

The worst bit for me is the Luke vs. Vader fight in ROTJ with the added "NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" at the end.

One of the best scenes in the film was when a silent Vader makes his final move. Pretty much ruined for me now.

• Like 2

On a train last night, its packed so in the vestibule, kid, a father and a female and male friend of theirs are stood talking loudly, the odious words removed spell out a major Han spoiler and **** laugh as they do it. I really felt like punching them.

• Like 1

Went to see it a second time last night. I absolutely loved it on first showing, but sometimes when you're passionate about something you can be a little blinded by it. It definitely stands up on second showing for me.

The only criticism I really have is the poor use of Captain Phasm and the lack of development outside of Jakku in terms of the World's. Episode 1-3 weren't good, but you at least felt like you knew something, anything about the planets that were shown. Definitely not the case here, hopefully that changes in the next films as that's one of the most interesting things about Star Wars. There's not much else I was disappointed about, thought JJ and everyone involved did a great job. It felt very much Star Wars and not just a sci-fi movie.

• Like 2

I agree, Stevo, but everyone else I've seen (including critics) seem to be very positive about her performance. I personally thought it was a bit forced (no pun intended).

I liked Boyega though, apart from the modern black phrases they threw in from time to time which is not how anyone in Star Wars talks. There were a couple, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is 'Droid please!'. Cringeworthy.

I did love the movie though, honest ;)

Edited by Ginko

watched this afternoon, mixed feelings really, thought the acting was wooden, the humour was misplaced and the script was just a mash of the best of the original films, you knew exactly what was about to happen, the killing off of a certain person was totally out of character, but visually it was superb and much better than the 3 prequels.

having avoided everything about this film until I got to watch I, I've just read the last few pages on here + son reviews, glad I'm not the only one who felt this film was a bit of a let down.

Watched it last week with my wife. We both really enjoyed it. The sad thing is I can't/ won't take my five year old son to see it. Pretty strange that we left him with grandparents whilst we watched it and then he got lots of Star Wars toys for Christmas. 

I saw it for the second time yesterday, I loved it the first time and I still loved it yesterday.

As others have said, it just felt like another Star Wars film, which 1, 2 & 3 often didn't get close enough to.

I especially liked how the various aliens were fully costumed people or robots, much like the original trilogy, avoiding the overuse of CGI. I also thought that the humour felt fitting (there was possibly too much comedy between Rey and Finn at times, but I'm being overly critical there). I enjoyed C3POs introduction, which gave me a chuckle!

Overall:

Rey - badass

Finn - badass

Kylo Ren - badass

9/10

No spoilers in this post, but I avoided them all before the film and then when I came out of my first viewing, it actually took me a few days to come around to [what happened]. But now I'm okay with it. This is the new Star Wars.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Enjoyed it on first viewing but absolutely loved it the second time around.

Not without it's issues, but it's a wonderfully entertaining movie. 

Not without its issues? You are Mark Kermode and I claim my 10 internet points.

• Like 2

I don't get why people need to pick holes. I finally saw it last night and loved it.

I'm not even a fan of the franchise but for what it is, it's a great movie. It's not some highfalutin brain-teaser, it's a kids film with a broad appeal. It's got action, explosions, a few jokes, more than a whiff of incest and some cool robots. Sure, it has similarities to previous incarnations and the storyline doesn't bear too much scrutiny but it's just a bit of knockabout fun and a thoroughly enjoyable film.

• Like 1

Â