Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

My girlfriends brother has the sphero BB-8, it's good fun but it's just like a glorified remote controlled car, I suppose.

Patrol mode can be fun, as he roams around the house on his own, scanning things (which appear on the BB8 app as he does it). You can also film yourself and then when looking through the phone screen, it looks like BB8 is projecting it as a hologram.

Obviously we said "BB8, you're our only hope!"

They also interact with other BB8s apparantly, so we'll see what that's like when we get two in the same room.

The cheaper one is purely remote control, one for stick for the body and one for the head, so to get him to go forward you tilt the head backwards and press up, to get him to turn you shift the head and keep pressing up, you tilt the head too far and it falls off

It's not a kids toy

Watched it tonight. Not going into it as a Star Wars fan but being familiar with the previous films and (most) characters, I thought it was a very entertaining, enjoyable movie with some great scenery and shots. That said, I thought the actress who played Rey was pretty awful. Really terrible delivery of some of her lines and almost every scene with her in was quite grating. They went overboard with the kick-ass heroine stuff and it just came off as terribly cliched. We've seen her character a million times before. I also felt like the overly-forced attempts at humour from Finn fell flat.

So yeah, it was good. But the two main characters were the worst thing about it for me. It could've been better but it could've been a lot worse. I can also see why some fans feel a bit cheated about the almost complete lack of original ideas, given the potential of the universe. Another space station that is so relatively easy to destroy? Come on.

I liked Kylo Ren. Until he got beaten up by a girl... ;)

• Like 1

On 03/01/2016 at 02:01, JB said:

So yeah, it was good. But the two main characters were the worst thing about it for me. It could've been better but it could've been a lot worse. I can also see why some fans feel a bit cheated about the almost complete lack of original ideas, given the potential of the universe. Another space station that is so relatively easy to destroy? Come on.

It disappointed me in the same way as Spectre, a homage with no new ideas.

Just finished watching the prequel trilogy with the wife who has never seen any of the Star Wars movies. We watched 4,5,6,1,2 and 3 (in that order).  Now just need to find the time to watch the new one.

I must say that the acting is awful for pretty much all 6 films apart form the villains and Han Solo. Everyone else seems so wooden and cheesy. Phantom Menace was a lot better than a I remembered. Attack of the Clones is by far the worst out of all 6 films. It was like a teen rom-com.

I think the acting is decent enough from the likes of Hamill and Fisher, but some of the dialogue they have to deliver is woeful.

Hayden Christensen however is the worst actor I have ever seen in a main stream film.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I think the acting is decent enough from the likes of Hamill and Fisher, but some of the dialogue they have to deliver is woeful.

Hayden Christensen however is the worst actor I have ever seen in a main stream film.

Yeah he really was woeful. Natalie Portman (surprisingly) was also pretty bad.

Feel a bit for old Hayden to be fair. Imagine being a young actor and getting your breakthrough in your first major movie role. Now imagine that role is in the biggest and most well-loved film franchise in history and you're going to be the main character in a bunch of new movies that will constantly be scrutinised and compared to the original trilogy that everyone loves. Now imagine you're playing the most recognisable and cherished character in that franchise and perhaps cinema history, no pressure kid.

And as if that wasn't enough, you're working with a man that despite his amazing vision and fantastic imagination is severely lacking in writing and directing skills meaning you work with a script with clunky character development, frankly some of the worst dialogue in the history of filmmaking and you get very little direction to help you.

With Lucas solely in charge, Christensen didn't really have a prayer.

Edited by Ginko

3 is the worst for me, they left so much canon out of the film, the cartoons, the books, the build up, all superb, a good chunk of the film doesnt make sense, grievous wheezing is the obvious part, samuel l jackson might not have gone out like a punk but so many good characters did

and i agree, even portman was rubbish in the prequels,  mcgregor was ok, HC was laughably bad, he's going to have "didnt like sand" in his eulogy 

I read today that in the commentary for ep3 Lucas said that Mace Windu beat Palpatine fair and square in that lightsaber battle and it wasn't just Palpatine letting him win to lure Anakin into becoming Vader.

which ruins the most important event in the prequels (even if it was really poorly acted)

Yes the dialogue is bad at times but Hayden's delivery of simple sentences is just totally wrong. He doesn't use the right tone of us for 90% of what he says, it's really odd.

Watching the Empire of Dreams documentary I saw how meticulous the casting sessions were and if it was anything similar for the prequels then I've no idea how Hayden got through them.

• Like 1

No doubt.

But I thought Windu being so powerful added significant weight to the power of Palpatine given how he was able to toy with him and use him effectively as bait for Anakin

In fact it's a lot better if I just pretend I never heard about Lucas saying that

Â