Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

On January 5, 2016 at 04:48, omariqy said:

Yeah he really was woeful. Natalie Portman (surprisingly) was also pretty bad.

She was hamstrung by the atrocious writing. That said, even if the script was by the Coen Brothers, Christiansen would still have sucked, I have no idea how he ever had a career. Terrible actor.

• Like 1

Spoiler

It is what I expected - as Star Trek Into Darkness is to The Wrath Of Khan so The Force Awakens is to A New Hope/Empire/Jedi.

Poor dialogue, ridiculously coincidence-driven plotting, dubious character development (seriously, Rey within half the film becomes stronger with the Force than the main bad guy? At least in the originals Luke had to be trained and it really took him until Jedi to realise his potential. And Rey is very annoying too).

As for the total lack of originality - honestly it was almost embarrassing, I would rather just have watched the original trilogy again than a 'greatest hits' rehash of them.

Having said that - Han Solo was fantastic as always, the action and cinematography were great, Finn is a potentially brilliant character that could really do with some more character development. Jon Boyega did a great job IMO.

Overall - just meh really. As I had imagined it would be with JJ at the helm.

I have noticed a number of poor reviews surfacing now all the hype has died down. It will not be considered a classic IMO.

• Like 2

Going to watch it for the fourth time sometime again this week perhaps. Can't believe people think it's mediocre, it's so fantastically Star Wars. My father was around my age when he first watched the original 1977 version in theatres and it feels like I've finally got a chance to experience what he and his generation experienced a long, long time ago. (I did watch the prequels in theatres when I was a kid but this feels...different. In a good way).

Sure, it's not a classic, but that's a term reserved for groundbreaking movies like the original. However, it was immensely, immensely enjoyable and I honestly find myself unable to get enough of it atm. The new characters are all fantastic and I'm glad the production team are developing them as genuine characters instead of relying too much on the older ones like Luke and Han to drive the story forward, bodes well for the longer-term future of the franchise.

Edited by legov
  • Like 2

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Spoiler

.Lichfield Dean: 

Poor dialogue, ridiculously coincidence-driven plotting, dubious character development (seriously, Rey within half the film becomes stronger with the Force than the main bad guy? At least in the originals Luke had to be trained and it really took him until Jedi to realise his potential. And Rey is very annoying too).

This is what annoys me the most! Rey beating Kylo Ren!!

Rey may have loads and of Medichlorians but no Jedi Training, or ever using a light saber before.

Kylo - Has to have loads of Medis aswell or he wouldnt have been training as a jedi. Anakin was "(far) too old" at 9 to start Jedi training, so Kylo must have been training since alot younger than 9 as Jedis wouldnt want what happened to Anakin to happen to someone else. Kylo was the apprentice who destroyed the Jedi School, you would suspect you would have to be quite a strong Jedi/Sith to do so.

No Way should Rey be anyway near as powerfull as Kylo and it annoyed during the film alot!

Edited by zak
spoi

Midichlorians :lol:

Kylo Ren has just killed his dad and got shot in the gut by a very powerful gun and had taken a few lightsaber hits from Finn by the time he fought Rey. He was all over the place. Also Snoke said he hadn't even finished his training yet. In that state it's not so unbelievable that he'd get beat. IMO.

• Like 3

Watched it last night.. My thoughts..

Spoiler

It was ok, but just very much a rehash of New Hope with parts of Jedi thrown in.

Liked Finn character, hated Po

Carrie Fisher was atrocious..Han good

Didnt like how Rey was better at the force than Kylo Ren

Also made me laugh how the rebellion had no idea of the super weapon at one point then once Finn had told them a wee bit they knew when the power was down and when it had damage...

Spoiler

Been to see it twice now. I was a bit worried that my excitement had influenced my opinion the first time around, but after seeing it again, I still loved it.

I agree that it's essentially a modern version of Episode IV, but I'm totally fine with that. Star Wars lost a lot of things when the Prequels came out, and I think that one of the main goals for this one was to make it feel like Star Wars again. The familiarity of the themes, visuals, characters and story brought back the whole Star Wars feel, which needed to be done. I can see the next film developing the story a lot more and taking bigger strides into new territory. For me, the whole nostalgia trip and obvious homages to Episode IV act as a way of distancing the new Star Wars from the prequels, and showing that it's going in the right direction again.

I loved the simplicity of the whole thing. It was so obvious who the good guys were, who the bad guys were, what was going on: all things that the prequels were missing. I spent all of Episode I just thinking ".....what?", but this time around, I was so much more engaged with the story. The playful humour is back (rather than sticking the insufferable Jar Jar Binks in there to provide the 'comedy'.......eurgh), the new characters grew into it as the film went on, and the ending made me want to see the next one...which is always a good sign. I'm a bit gutted that we won't see another scene with Han and Luke together, but maybe keeping all of the original cast around in the new films for too long would be overkill.

Overall, I thought it was a solid effort. Blows the prequels away and points to a promising future.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Watched it last night.. My thoughts..

Hide contents

It was ok, but just very much a rehash of New Hope with parts of Jedi thrown in.

Liked Finn character, hated Po

Carrie Fisher was atrocious..Han good

Didnt like how Rey was better at the force than Kylo Ren

Also made me laugh how the rebellion had no idea of the super weapon at one point then once Finn had told them a wee bit they knew when the power was down and when it had damage...

Poe is the best, what's wrong with you. I want the next two films to be nothing but Poe's adventures in his X-wing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

TBH i think some chaps are just upset that a girl beat up a boy.

That's a pretty unfair thing to say. At the end of the day a lot of people didn't think it was a very good film, so surely a better conclusion to draw would be 'TBH I think some chaps are just upset that JJ Abrams keeps making disappointing films'

Spoiler

Jesus Christ i'm so sick of this misconception being perpetuated.

Rey was not stronger with the Force than Kylo Ren at any stage of the movie. All she was able to do when he went into her mind was resist him and use the pathway he opened to see into his mind.

They made a big deal throughout the whole movie about how the bowcaster was a badass weapon that sent multiple stormtroopers flying 20 feet back. Kylo Ren took a direct hit, which he clearly was suffering from for the rest of the film.

He then fought against someone who was also force sensitive and had started to discover her powers, and was also portrayed from the first moments she was on screen as being able to handle herself in a fight. She beat up like 5 dudes who were trying to steal BB8 without breaking a sweat.

• Like 2

Â