Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

One thing that has bugged me though, why does John Boyega do an American accent? If it's ok for Daisy Ridley to be English.

Yeah why hire an English actor to do an American accent in a world not set on earth where accents aren't relevant.

Just home from seeing it. Was speechless for a good 10 mins after the film. JJ smashed it for me. Totally wonderful, and made me feel 5 years old again.

On Kylo Ren...

Spoiler

I think his weakness comes from his inner conflict. He still hasn't totally turned to the dark side, and as such makes him less powerful. 

On Rey...

Spoiler

So she's Luke's daughter, right?

Loved it, everything was perfect imo, can't fault it and to do so would be a very miserly thing to do. Daisy Ridley grew into rey well and I loved her character. Finn was good but the weakest imo if were talking over acting but I still loved him.

As for Kylo Ren, he is awesome. He is obviously weak for a reason, he isn't the overall big bad and is my favourite character from the film because he isn't the menacing all conquering clichéd bad guy. He is the aspiring and powerful pretender who hasn't quite shook his past and we don't quite know for certain which path he is headed on yet even though events in this one try to strongly sway us to decide in a certain direction.

I loved Adam Driver, he was perfectly cast as Ren and did splendidly although he reminded me of Edd China from wheeler dealers :)

It borrowed here and there from its inspiration's while doing its own thing. Second best behind TESB. Go and see it!!!!!!!

10/10.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

I absolutely loved it. It blows the prequels away, and stands up to the originals, absolutely. Really well cast, the characters were really well fleshed out and interesting. They played to the strengths of the returning cast members. I can't wait to see it again!

Finn and Rey

Spoiler

It was an incredibly tall order for them to come in and be leads in such a massive film that would be the subject to endless scrutiny, but they were both absolutely fantastic. Well written, well acted, and they stand up to the original Luke, Han and Leia. The life in these characters compared to say, Anakin and Padme in Attack of the Clones is like chalk and cheese.

On Kylo Ren

Spoiler

I've heard a bit about how he wasn't menacing enough, but I thought the characterisation of Kylo Ren was perfect. He's not supposed to be Vader, he's supposed to be a bit of a dork with parents who probably argued a lot and an unreliable father, so he looks to his granddad as his role model. The whole idea is that he's some dork kid trying to be Vader. He's not supposed to be particularly menacing, he's just a force prodigy and uses that to bully people.

Killing Han helps to legitimise him as a nasty **** as well. We'll see how that translates into future films. I really hope it doesn't end up being a redemption story arc.

On General Hux

Spoiler

I thought he was an odd choice at the start but he starts to make more sense when you see that Kylo Ren is also young and they are effectively two young mega-ambitious dudes one upping eachother. Also considering that all the best Empire strategists would have been killed in RotJ, so it makes sense that an ambitious younger guy has come through. Then the big speech brings him together nicely.

Captain Phasma

Spoiler

Was a pointless and unnecessary character. And she just dropped the shields without a fight. Why?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jon_c said:

One thing that has bugged me though, why does John Boyega do an American accent? If it's ok for Daisy Ridley to be English.

They probably didn't want both of the starring newcomers to have English accents. 

It had an awful lot of similarities to a New Hope:

Begins on desert planet with small droid carrying important info.

Droid picked up by someone with ability to channel the force.

Meet old guy who's been around the block a few times

Go to crazy bar with assortment of alien species

Battle station commits planet destroying genocide

Rescue mission aboard battle station

Old guy killed off as plot device

Aerial battle over battle station, control room very similar to that on Yavin

Battle station gets blown up

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jon_c said:

He was on Graham Norton's show last night and said he tried it with a British accent and it sounded stupid so JJ Abrams told him to switch to American.

Begins on desert planet with small droid carrying important info.

Droid picked up by someone with ability to channel the force.

Meet old guy who's been around the block a few times

Go to crazy bar with assortment of alien species

Battle station commits planet destroying genocide

Rescue mission aboard battle station

Old guy killed off as plot device

Aerial battle over battle station, control room very similar to that on Yavin

Battle station gets blown up

Exactly. That's why it really seemed just like

a new hope HD edition

Which is no bad thing

On 12/18/2015 at 07:01, Czechlad said:

Had some idiot spoil the movie for me. Just jumped in my online game and said what happened before I could mute my tv. I don't understand people. 

people just want to feel important when being a dick

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Hidden Content

New Hope, is basically The Hidden Fortress anyway. I want star wars movies based on different Kurosawa.

I would watch the shit out of star wars versions of yojimbo or seven samurai.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, darrenm said:

Exactly. That's why it really seemed just like

Hidden Content

Which is no bad thing

I think it's actually the biggest criticism you could have, aside from Carrie Fisher's face being so botoxed she can barely speak proper like. The cynic in me also couldn't help but think about the Disney execs pushing for all those pretty pointless variants of stormtrooper, etc. which I'm sure are shoe horned in for toy ranges. 

Saw it earlier, it is good, it has more heart than any of the prequels of course, and has a whole bunch of moments that bring a massive smile to your face. 

The fact it has almost as many unanswered questions as an episode of Lost, I didn't really have a problem with, lots of story ripe for spin off movies, books, cartoons, novels, video games... 

I really liked seeing the middle aged men with their kids in there, all enjoying it tremendously. The lad of 9 or 10 next to me was literally on the edge of his seat for the whole of the last hour. 

Oh, and any "BUT NO DAMAGE" memes yet? That really made me laugh 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

No spoilers

I watched it Thursday night. Sounds a bit sad, but it's still sinking in! It needs another couple of views at least, there was a lot going on and I was often just spazzin out, in a state of fanboy euphoria. 

Impossible to say where it ranks amongst the others on one view alone, other than to say I bet you will be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks it isn't an improvement on the prequels. 

JJ Abrams deserves immense credit for what he's achieved here. He's provided full service to the fans, whilst creating a film that in part is a reboot for a new gen, but also a sequel for us oldies! The old and the new weaved together seamlessly. As a film it wasn't perfect, there were a couple of misses here and there, but they were overshadowed by the overall magic and emotion of it all. 

Can't wait to see it again. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

phenomenally good fun I thought. Agree with most of what's been said so far

Spoiler

Poor Chewie! :(  And the masked woman baddy seemed to be a bit of a forced character really. Unless she has a bigger role in the next film ( oh hang she's probably dead actually, nvm )

all the main cast were superb, and the nods to the old films worked really well. The physicality of the locations felt genuinely real, and the BBA droid was hilarious. So much perosnality conveyed through beeps and movements. Can't wait for the second film!

Edited by Rodders

Â