Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

Saw this tonight, thought it was brilliant. 

How do I add the spoiler thing on a mobile device? 

The simplest way is to get your browser to request the desktop version. I don't want to add the spoiler button to the tiny edit bar you get in the mobile editor.

Watching episode 3, first ten minutes, so much of it doesn't make sense without the context of the cartoon and the books, trying to explain to the wife why GG has a breathing issue, it doesn't make sense if you've only seen the films, so much CGI that it doesn't need, r2-d2 can do a load of new tricks, the humour is way off, the fight with dooku isn't as good as I remember it, Hayden Christiansen, Natalie Portman and the dialogue between them is every bit as bad as I remember it

Mace windu "GG will run and hide, it's what he always does, he's a coward" sigh

Watched it today at empire square in London in rather impressive iMax( with lasers no less )

It was a bit like mad max meets wall-e for a while until it turned into a remake of return of the Jedi 

but enjoyable enough and as I said it did look very good on the giant screen .... It will be interesting to see how it plays out 

I have to say...the more I think about it, the more I really don't like some aspects of the plot. It's a bit like Promotheus (but not as plain old bad), I enjoyed watching that at the flicks, but then afterwards I thought about it, and, well, it's silly. Should this movie be allowed to get away with that simply because it is a Star Wars movie? Perhaps. Being merely a fan rather than megafan, though, I'm a bit concerned this isn't going to hold up to repeated viewings, or in years to come.

Spoiler

The Captian Phasma scene especially is unforgivable. This is a soldier presumably trained from birth to obey the First Order, to such a degree that they're a Captain, and have a friggin shiny suit, only to have their life threatened and roll over? Naw, really doesn't sit well with me. They would rather have died, surely. It's so lazy. As a viewer, having already been presented with the fact that Finn's actions were highly unusual for a stormtrooper, suggesting the others are brainwashed killing machines who take any order (Finn got moved from cleaning the bogs to shooting up innocents, and presumabely some of his comrades did too, for example)...having said that, the scene did provide me with my biggest laugh, the 'I'm in charge now Phasma, ME!'

Edited by hogso
spiler

I want to know what happened to the Republic and their army, and why there was any need for a new faction called the Resistance at all. It's almost as if they wanted to distance themselves from IV-VI  by saying, yeah, these two warring groups are defo not the same as those in the other films...despite the fact there is so much similar in the plot already.

Spoiler

The teaser for how the blue lightsabre ended up where it did will make a good story too. I'd hope

Saw it tonight.

I thought it was pretty much brilliant. I saw it at the iMax in 3D. Didn't want to but my mate bought the tickets. Wouldn't advise 3D. Some of the space scenes looked incredible but loads of bluriness on action shots and stuff just seemed out of focus.

Anyway, the film was great. My only criticism was the plot was a bit thin, especially the beginning, and I wasn't a big fan of the actress playing Rey, again especially at the beginning. But that's about as negative as I can be about it. Pretty much everything else was brilliant. Boyega was the standout performance for me. He was excellent.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Makes the prequels look hilariously awful, if they didn't already.

Well I have always enjoyed Star Wars (obviously not the prequels) so I went to see it genuinely excited by all the positive reviews and I left really not seeing why everyone is so pleased about this.

It is almost exactly the same as New Hope. With such a large universe they have created, with limitless possiblities it is troubling that they couldnt find anyone to develop a more interesting plot line. The visuals and general "reality" they create is again amazing and worth watching the film for that alone. But the story is really dialled in to the point where they almost seem to make a joke about how predictable the story is in the film, post modern stuff indeed.

If you like to be dazzled by pretty pictures and not worry about a story written by the marketing department then this is for you. I'll caveat that by saying many on this thread are no doubt blinded by their lifetime love of the Universe in general and so reluctant to think too critically about it.

However if you like a bit of good writing in a film then you'll be left a bit blank. In my opinion.

For anyone interested in the wider Star Wars universe here are some examples of the stories already written which would have been so much more interesting than a bigger death star.

https://litreactor.com/columns/relegated-to-legend-the-stories-we-lose-in-a-new-star-wars-timeline

• Like 2

i know what you're saying but im still hoping that they played it safe for the first film and then will expand on the next 2

the problem with the EU is that its got a lot of people who are in to at least some of it and yet that is still a tiny percentage of the number of people that will see this film

the main criticism does seem to be somewhere between it being overly sentimental to it robbing the previous films blind, i reckon JJ and disney would both take that (as well as the $$$$$)

i think this might actually have an outside chance of a couple of oscar nods, trying to think of a blockbuster outside of them throwing awards at return of the king thats done that

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i know what you're saying but im still hoping that they played it safe for the first film and then will expand on the next 2

I hope so too!

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the main criticism does seem to be somewhere between it being overly sentimental to it robbing the previous films blind, i reckon JJ and disney would both take that (as well as the $$$$$)

In the group I went to watch it with one of my friends girlfriends came out and said. Well it was pretty samey and I'm not sure why they bothered making it. To which her fella replied "well...for the billions of dollars" which about summed it up. As you say though there is lots of room still for development so fingers crossed.

37 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Well I have always enjoyed Star Wars (obviously not the prequels) so I went to see it genuinely excited by all the positive reviews and I left really not seeing why everyone is so pleased about this.

It is almost exactly the same as New Hope. With such a large universe they have created, with limitless possiblities it is troubling that they couldnt find anyone to develop a more interesting plot line. The visuals and general "reality" they create is again amazing and worth watching the film for that alone. But the story is really dialled in to the point where they almost seem to make a joke about how predictable the story is in the film, post modern stuff indeed.

If you like to be dazzled by pretty pictures and not worry about a story written by the marketing department then this is for you. I'll caveat that by saying many on this thread are no doubt blinded by their lifetime love of the Universe in general and so reluctant to think too critically about it.

However if you like a bit of good writing in a film then you'll be left a bit blank. In my opinion.

For anyone interested in the wider Star Wars universe here are some examples of the stories already written which would have been so much more interesting than a bigger death star.

https://litreactor.com/columns/relegated-to-legend-the-stories-we-lose-in-a-new-star-wars-timeline

I think that's slightly patronising. I'm no big Star Wars fan, I'm not overly taken with the originals, but I do appreciate the popular culture spawned from them.

I recognised that the story is quite similar to a new hope, but I still really enjoyed the film. I'm not blinded by any lifetime love of the universe, nor am I dazzled by pretty pictures. So where do I fit in?

• Like 1

Yeah I recognise it was a bit confrontational which is why I was trying to caveat it a bit. I do apologise for that but I was just trying to state an opinion and when it comes to Star Wars its a little bit difficult to be critical without also running the danger of being confrontational.

To answer your question with my original post. Maybe you don't need the writing in a film to be very good in order to enjoy it? Or maybe you think the writing is good and that's why you enjoyed. It's all opinions of course and yours is as valid as mine.

Edited by villaglint

15 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Yeah I recognise it was a bit confrontational which is why I was trying to caveat it a bit.

To answer your question with my original post. Maybe are don't need the writing in a film to be very good in order to enjoy it? Or maybe you think the writing is good and that's why you enjoyed. It's all opinions of course and yours is a valid as mine.

Hairy muff

I don't think it's lazy writing, I think they just saw the original story as covering many bases and didn't see any need to deviate from a winning formula. Why change it if it works?

Anyway, going back to see it in imax after Christmas. Can't wait :)

i think that is a formula that a fair few trilogies try to copy, its what IMO makes ESB one of if not the greatest films ever, i wish i was around at the time to soak up the twist, id actually take them doing that in the final film but i think that would result in people wanting more

Â