Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

Oh man, I saw it tonight and I hated it :(

Like people have said, it's just a copy of A New Hope - why!!?  I'm going to sound like a moaning old git now but for what it is worth here's my other gripes:

Spoiler
  1. Was it me or were the majority of the cast too young?  Felt like they'd just recruited a school drama class!
  2. The scene with the massive tentacled rolling blobs with teeth - WTF?!  For starters, I've seen better production quality in Dr Who... but then you think about it, those things are meant to be lethally dangerous yet Han and Chewie don't really seem arsed and it plays out like a Benny Hill sketch.
  3. Scottish accents - I get that you have to make a leap of imagination, but why use such pronounced accents in a film where you're meant to believe it's a completely different world?
  4. The 'new' larger death star - what is it?  Is it a planet which they've hollowed out?  Incredibly implausible, so it must be a space station which is so large it's developed flauna and forna right?  But there's rocks and stuff on it and lava bursts towards the end when it's breaking up, so it's got to be a planet?  Oh hell I don't know, but either way they've been damn busy to have been able to start this new 'First Order' and build something that big and complex in the space of 20 years.
  5. And what's the BFG doing in it?

Interestingly, for those with a problem with Captain Phasma - - - - - I've read that she's in the next film which suggests there is something going on with that character that may not be immediately obvious.

A bit like Oscar Issac's character: he's too good to be good, ya know?

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

And just because something is cyclical, takes parts from other things and isn't totally original doesn't make it bad either.

It's not exactly like A New Hope, it just borrows from it in places and simultaneously brings that feeling of nostalgia whilst immediately making it feel like a Star Wars film.

Abrams did good and went the right direction. I didn't envy his task of making the first new Star Wars since Lucas royally ballsed up the last three. He might have played it a bit safe but after the last three films I think the majority of fans were crying out for a return to the halcyon days. He made the right call, I think. There is plenty of scope for trying something fresh with the other spin-off films they plan on making such as Rogue One, but let's get the next trilogy back to what made the original three films so special first, yeah?

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Interestingly, for those with a problem with Captain Phasma - - - - - I've read that she's in the next film which suggests there is something going on with that character that may not be immediately obvious.

A bit like Oscar Issac's character: he's too good to be good, ya know?

One of the very few things I liked about the film is that Oscar Issac is in it. He's a really good actor in my opinion so if he is developed into a more complex character as you suggest that would be a very good thing.

Edited by villaglint

10 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

just because something is intentional doesn't make it good.

That wasn't my point. People are talking about it as if it wasn't on purpose.

• Like 1

Not quite sure that's true, in my case I found the problem to be that it went too far from scoring nostalgia points (oh look, the 3D chessboard thing, hey that dingy bar is kind of like Mos Eisley Cantina, that robot with an important mission is cute and vulnerable, but also brave, etc) to just being too similar to Episode IV.

As alluded to by others though, it'll be easy to forgive that if the next films are more of a departure, but if VIII and IX take major plot elements from ESB and ROTJ, it would be really disappointing.

And where the **** is Chindie? His review will put this issue to bed once and for all.

Edited by hogso

I loved it personally. 

Very similar to episode 4, but i think this was needed to an extent to reboot the whole franchise.  Its a difficult job to keep the original fanbase happy and to pull in a whole new generation.  I cant wait to see where abrams takes us next, being that he will feel he deserves a bit more artistic license now he has most people back on side.

I think the nods to the original were just that, tongue in cheek moments to the original crowd, think he worked most quite well.

56 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I cant wait to see where abrams takes us next

Doubt he's had much input really. Rian Johnson is writing 8 and iirc 9 so so I would imagine it'll mostly be down to him.

I thought the movie was brilliant, probably second behind ESB which will never be topped as it is a faultless movie.

The new cast were superb, both Daisy (?) and especially John Boyega grew into the roles pretty quick. The weak link was probably Leia to be fair, she sounds like she needs to lay off the booze & fags. I'm not convinced by Snoke at the moment, but I guess the standalone movies and Episode VIII will reveal more about him. I've read a theory on the net that he is Darth Plagueis which would be interesting.

After the horrific prequels (I watched them again before seeing this and never realised just how bad they were) it was clear that they had to go back to basics and this just felt like a proper Star Wars movie. Yes it was very similar to ANH but that is clearly what they were intending and it's not like this was just a carbon copy.

The only thing that bugged me was how quick Rey learnt how to use the force and how quickly she became powerful. It took Luke until the second movie to be just about able to use the force to grab his lightsaber but Rey was able to do so straight away. I guess we'll find out more in the next film when she's inevitably revealed as Luke's daughter.

I really enjoyed it anyway, 9/10 for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villarule123 said:

The only thing that bugged me was how quick Rey learnt how to use the force and how quickly she became powerful. It took Luke until the second movie to be just about able to use the force to grab his lightsaber but Rey was able to do so straight away. I guess we'll find out more in the next film when she's inevitably revealed as Luke's daughter.

I think the idea behind her quick pickup of the force was the mind probe thing Kylo Ren did with her. He's not fully trained and is an inexperienced and sloppy force user, despite his obvious power. She learned a lot from that incident about what she might be capable of.

Â