Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So the prequel series starring Naomi Watts about the first war between men and the White Walkers has been cancelled after a disappointing pilot.

But a second series focusing on the reign of the Targaryens sett about 300 years before GOT has got the all clear.

It's apparently based on a R.R. Martin book so won't be thrown together in a hurry by some producers with better things to do.

Still, can't say I'm particularly interested but I'm sure I'll watch since the production value will be top notch.

640@60.jpg

• 2 years later...

I'm rewatching this as an antidote to the boring spin-off. 

Seasons 1-4 is just an incredible run of swashbuckling adventure and intrigue.

The closing shot in the last episode of S4 with Arya on the bow of the ship sailing to Braavos is breathtaking. 

Too bad that her storyline gets bogged down and a bit tedious.

I can't imagine "Snow" is going to be much good, but one can hope!

• 1 year later...

I remember this, for a long time I didn't even bother giving it a go as didn't seem like something I would like, but when I finally did I thought it was pretty good, as in not quite Sopranos, The Wire or Mad Men good, but just below that, an entertaining show, and quite addictive, the next episode something to await, but then at a certain point it started getting not so good, maybe around season 3 or season 4, in a way the last season being so disliked might be a good thing for it, as it perhaps makes people forget how bad it had already become in the seasons previous

• Like 1

On 31/03/2024 at 09:34, useless said:

I remember this, for a long time I didn't even bother giving it a go as didn't seem like something I would like, but when I finally did I thought it was pretty good, as in not quite Sopranos, The Wire or Mad Men good, but just below that, an entertaining show, and quite addictive, the next episode something to await, but then at a certain point it started getting not so good, maybe around season 3 or season 4, in a way the last season being so disliked might be a good thing for it, as it perhaps makes people forget how bad it had already become in the seasons previous

The first season(s) of GoT were far better than any of those shows, or any other ever made.

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Every time I re - binge this show, I'm still stunned by Maisie Williams performance as Aya Stark. Of all the great characters, I think her and the Hound stand out.

Nah, Ed Sheeran steals every scene

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2022 at 15:39, maqroll said:

The closing shot in the last episode of S4 with Arya on the bow of the ship sailing to Braavos is breathtaking. 

I remember hating this scene because the season wasn't ending with the anticipated Stoneheart reveal (which never came at all).

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I remember hating this scene because the season wasn't ending with the anticipated Stoneheart reveal (which never came at all).

It's a bittersweet scene because the show went downhill from that point.

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I can’t imagine anything I’d rather do less than binge it again 

Yep. Absolutely no chance.

At it's height it was one of the best shows on TV. But with the knowledge of how bad it gets, there's no way I'd sit through it again

If only they could scrap seasons 7 and 8 and redo them again with the same actors. There was nothing wrong with the plots of each season, it was just rushed to ****. Such a shame. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

If only they could scrap seasons 7 and 8 and redo them again with the same actors. There was nothing wrong with the plots of each season, it was just rushed to ****. Such a shame. 

Yep agreed. 

The last season could honestlly have been 3 seasons itself.

I can't remember if we can openly spoiler in here so just in case

Spoiler

the demise of Danaerys

was basically squeezed into one episode, so it had almost no effect. That is the kind of arc that should go on over a season at least, but it was crushed into 30 minutes

And similarly famously with 

Spoiler

killing the night king

seasons and seasons of build up all brought to a close in a few minutes.

Just a massive pacing issue in general. If they'd kept to the pace of the first 5 seasons or so then the show would probably still be going, but be better for it

(I realise there are reasons why that couldn't happen, but still)

• Like 3

Yeah, I do remember saying to my friends at the time that the story was badly told rather than being fundamentally bad.

It makes sense given they apparently asked George RR Martin what the outline of the story was, but then couldn't rely on his writing when doing their scripts. I don't think Martin will live long enough to finish the series, but I think a skilled writer could take the same basic story outline and make it good.

That said, I'm assuming they were only given a sketch of the key plot points - e.g. if Jaime's character arc in the books ended up being the one he was given in the final season of the show, I'd be asking for my money back. But the direction of Danaerys' storyline was definitely foreshadowed heavily throughout both the books and tv show, so that certainly made sense to me.

Â