Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:
  Hide contents

But even that twist left you feeling empty. The last season was alright but the final episode was an anti climax. But then how do you end such an epic show? I’m struggling to think of a good ending to any top tv show. I mean the Sopranos ending was ridiculous.

It wasn't a twist. People have been saying Brann would end up on the thrown for ages.

Also the ending to the Sopranos was absolutely brilliant.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It was an absolute punch to the gut even if you know it's coming. 

I had to read a few paragraphs over and over just for it to sink in what happened the first time I read that chapter. 

It was amazing (I hadn't read the books)

It was still at a time when killing main characters was a shock in Game of Thrones (at least for someone who hadn't read the books), despite Ned Stark's demise. And at the time Rob and Caitlyn were the entire main story. For them to be killed in that way was incredible. I wish I could go back and watch that again not knowing the story.

Also, the ending to The Wire was also excellent. Even though Season 5 is a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the show (but still better than 99% of other television), the way it ends (at least how I remember it) is perfect.

• Like 1

Bran's "why do you think I came all this way?" line ought to have been enough to have had him gutted in the spot as well. 

For years, he's done nothing but sit by making vague comments, offering no real help, and the only contribution he makes is dropping the Jon bombshell. 

All so what, he could end up on the throne? It's incredibly sinister, and everyone just ignores it so they can get back to their sitcom. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Bran's "why do you think I came all this way?" line ought to have been enough to have had him gutted in the spot as well. 

For years, he's done nothing but sit by making vague comments, offering no real help, and the only contribution he makes is dropping the Jon bombshell. 

All so what, he could end up on the throne? It's incredibly sinister, and everyone just ignores it so they can get back to their sitcom. 

Dreadful writing 

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah. Just pretending he knows what was about to happen

I knew that would happen. Yeah you're here for a reason. I could see that coming.

Could you?! Why not tell people about it then?! I mean you could have, you know, saved literally hundreds of thousands of lives!

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah. Just pretending he knows what was about to happen

I knew that would happen. Yeah you're here for a reason. I could see that coming.

Could you?! Why not tell people about it then?! I mean you could have, you know, saved literally hundreds of thousands of lives!

It suggests that he's really just a puppet of the 3er, and he's the real winner, all of this was orchestrated to create an endless dynasty of raven Kings. The children of the forest finally beat the human invaders. We're still none the wiser about what he's been doing with ravens for all of this time, was he plotting his way to the throne? 

If that was the intent, maybe they could have touched on that instead of tyrion shuffling chairs around. 

It feels like Martin told them 'bran becomes king' after season 7 ended and they were just like "shit, we already sidelined his story". 

Edited by Davkaus

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Reminded me of that guy in Matrix 2 who just spoke crap 😂

Where is the slow motion horse?  They closed the last episode with Arya riding off on this white horse, then the next cut to her and she is still in the city and no horse.  WTF was that all about?

The standard of writing, I can't justify it.  I won't try.

That said they were probably under a time crunch and had to let the actors get back to their lives and Star Wars waits for no man.

Yes I'm taking the piss out of Jon and his moment in the prison with Tyrion, immediately trying to justify why Dany had to burn the city after saying he can't justify it and won't try.  It took a full 90 seconds of dialogue for that to happen, I'm not sure they are reading back the script.

To be fair, I liked this episode more than the rest of this season, but that is not saying too much.  A Dinklage episode will give us a stamp of quality that most of the rest of the remaining cast are not able to provide any more and I'm glad they let him carry most of the weight to see the show out.

• Haha 1

There is so much that has just been glossed over it infuriates me, BUT, it's a TV show so I'm not going to stew over it.

Spoiler

Drogon flying off with Dany's body.. All Jon had to do was keep quiet and say she flew off in a temper and hasn't come back.

Tormund having NO dialogue when Jon goes back North. He's your BFF, give them a moment. He did pet Ghost though.

Rushed 'meeting' deciding the King/Queen, made no sense. Stupid comedy value from Sam about peoples vote etc... Bran as King? FFS guys you had one job. Makes no sense.

Edmure coming back was great though, especially since he appears to have been brought back to just get smacked down by Sansa.

Didn't like the fact that Yara only came back to shout about HER QUEEN.

Greyworm - HOW DO YOU WANT TO WRITE HIM!? A. Unforgiving war hero who slaughters enemy soldiers who have been captured or B. A rational man who believes in arresting and imprisonment. Can't keep changing. He would have lost his shit at Jon and most likely killed him once he found out what he'd done to Dany.

Bran "Maybe I can find him?" *Smirk* - When talking about Drogon. F off.

That's all for now.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought my tv broke

The Sopranos ending was quite heavily foreshadowed. There's a key conversation about 

Spoiler

what getting shot would be like

earlier on that makes it much clearer

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The Sopranos ending was quite heavily foreshadowed. There's a key conversation about 

Reveal hidden contents

what getting shot would be like

earlier on that makes it much clearer

Hmmm fair enough. At the time it felt like an anti climax. But again how do you end such a great show? 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hmmm fair enough. At the time it felt like an anti climax. But again how do you end such a great show? 

The way they did it . 

There's only 2 ways out   . In a coffin or in the can.

It was genius.

• Like 1

So anything that people liked about this 8 season, almost 80 hours little fantasy book adaptation.

Anyone able to come up with something without also adding "but they ruined it by..." get a imaginary coin from Bravos

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The Red Wedding remains the pinnacle of the show in my opinion.

No episode of any tv show ever has taken me so much by surprise and left me as shocked as that episode.

There are probably BETTER episodes of other shows, sure. But in terms of that pure emotion, that absolute feeling of "I cannot believe that has happened", that has never been topped imo. When you compare that to the episodes now it's not even close. There hasn't been a decent twist or surprise in GoT for years. I'd say the Dragon being turned is as close as they've got, but even that other people said they saw coming a mile off (I didn't but maybe I'm thick :) )

The biggest shock on TV since Steven Seagal was killed boarding a plane that had been hijacked by terrorists in the opening sequence of ‘Executive Decision’. 

• Haha 1

Â