Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

If season 7 was 3 episodes longer and season 8 was done over two 10 episode seasons instead of 6 episodes, GoT would have been spoken as the best show of all time. 

Now I'd say it sits alongside LOST as a once great show with a shit ending. It's such a massive shame. 

• Like 3

I'd definitely recommend reading all of the books though. There's a LOT of differences between the books and the show, and I do think the penultimate book will get released within a year. The last book probably won't get finished due to the author's age but as said above, someone will finish it for him and all the main plot lines will be written down for them to follow. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

If season 7 was 3 episodes longer and season 8 was done over two 10 episode seasons instead of 6 episodes, GoT would have been spoken as the best show of all time. 

Now I'd say it sits alongside LOST as a once great show with a shit ending. It's such a massive shame. 

Nah I think although it would have been better, Benioff and Weiss were massively exposed without source material to refer to.

After season 5, gone was the interesting character arcs and political intrigue and maneuvering and in was cliche OTT Hollywood action sequences.  Last minute saves from dragons in battles where the 'heroes' (no longer the grey area it was earlier on) are faced withu insurmountable odds etc.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Nah I think although it would have been better, Benioff and Weiss were massively exposed without source material to refer to.

After season 5, gone was the interesting character arcs and political intrigue and maneuvering and in was cliche OTT Hollywood action sequences.  Last minute saves from dragons in battles where the 'heroes' (no longer the grey area it was earlier on) are faced withu insurmountable odds etc.

Although it wasn't perfect after they ran out of source material, they still produced one of the best episodes of TV of all time with the finale of season 6. That wildfire scene was something else. 

Posted (edited)
On 02/04/2024 at 07:42, StefanAVFC said:

I can’t imagine anything I’d rather do less than binge it again 

I could happily binge season 1 for Robert Baratheon alone.

"Bessie! Thank the gods for Bessie!"

Edited by fightoffyour

18 hours ago, villarule123 said:

I'd definitely recommend reading all of the books though. There's a LOT of differences between the books and the show, and I do think the penultimate book will get released within a year. The last book probably won't get finished due to the author's age but as said above, someone will finish it for him and all the main plot lines will be written down for them to follow. 

I read a couple of the books and honestly found them to be a tedious slog. I read them before the shows and actually thought they would be better as a TV show/movie.

I find Martin's descriptive writing painfully slow as it is so painstaking in it's detail. Plot, character, dialogue etc are all fine, I just can't handle the never ending pages of describing every detail of what everyone is wearing.

I recall the parade leading up to a tournament. Every participant had their armour, shield, cloak, stitching, sword, horse, coat of arms, hair, saddle etc explained in great detail. As it went on for person after person, page after page I found myself bored to tears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

I could happily binge season 1 for Robert Baratheon alone.

"Bessie! Thank the gods for Bessie!"

And her t*ts

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Do not slur Lost!  

It was a great ending which was misunderstood by 50% of people watching. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Do not slur Lost!  

It was a great ending which was misunderstood by 50% of people watching. 

The ending was fine, definitely understood it 😂 The whole 'Jacob' thing and the temple was not fine. 

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

The ending was fine, definitely understood it 😂 The whole 'Jacob' thing and the temple was not fine. 

Ah fair enough. 

I actually like the Jacob and dark/light theme of the final season. 

The worst bit was when they found the lamppost and the boat and could get off the island but came back to it. Something like that, it’s been a long time since watching it. 

Only ever watched a couple of episodes as I dont have access to sky or HBO or whatever it was on.

However I am reading the first book in the series and the first half, approx 400 pages, is deadly dull scene setting stuff, hopefully it gets better.

I agree with some comments and complaints about the author explaining to the minute detail the colour of someones armour or flag etc, and it is pretty tedious to be honest. However, it is nothing compared to Tolkiens Lord of the rings novel, where the description of some hobbits clothing goes on and on seemingly for pages and pages of drivel....

6 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Only ever watched a couple of episodes as I dont have access to sky or HBO or whatever it was on.

However I am reading the first book in the series and the first half, approx 400 pages, is deadly dull scene setting stuff, hopefully it gets better.

I agree with some comments and complaints about the author explaining to the minute detail the colour of someones armour or flag etc, and it is pretty tedious to be honest. However, it is nothing compared to Tolkiens Lord of the rings novel, where the description of some hobbits clothing goes on and on seemingly for pages and pages of drivel....

Then you probably should stay away from the Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time books.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I think the worse for that is Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Gave up that one when I got fed up of pages of fish genus and species. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

I think the worse for that is Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Gave up that one when I got fed up of pages of fish genus and species. 

The worst is Robinson Crusoe. About 150 pages spent describing how he builds a fence.

I've never read the GoT books and don't think I ever will. Seems pointless seeing as though the final two books will probably never come out.

I read the first Hedge Knight short story and enjoyed it, so might finish that series some day (assuming it's been finished).

• 2 weeks later...

A review...

I have now finished the first book. After a very slow start the book got more interesting and readable, I think the first half of the book was just scene setting though.

Anyway my favourite character by a long way was Tyrion, probably the only one with humour and believable. I was getting very confused with the family trees of all the characters and it did help once I got to the end of the book and found the appendix! Why was this not in the front of the book? This novel was made more difficult to follow by having several characters using their names and then occasionaly referring to their "nicknames". Define their nicknames at the beginning and use it throughout the novel would have made it easier to read.

Over description of armour and colours of clothing etc, I skipped most of this everytime.

Another couple of whinges, the printed maps do help but need a magnifying glass to read them, 2 other maps are shown and seemingly have nothing to do with the first book. After thousands of years fighting medieval style wars, why has nobody come up with advances in science like gunpowder etc?, that fact alone I have found very annoying with this novel. I mean they can all manufacture steel and fancy swords, but have stuck with bows and arrows, maces and lance's for hundreds of generations.....

I think I will read the next book though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

A review...

I have now finished the first book. After a very slow start the book got more interesting and readable, I think the first half of the book was just scene setting though.

Anyway my favourite character by a long way was Tyrion, probably the only one with humour and believable. I was getting very confused with the family trees of all the characters and it did help once I got to the end of the book and found the appendix! Why was this not in the front of the book? This novel was made more difficult to follow by having several characters using their names and then occasionaly referring to their "nicknames". Define their nicknames at the beginning and use it throughout the novel would have made it easier to read.

Over description of armour and colours of clothing etc, I skipped most of this everytime.

Another couple of whinges, the printed maps do help but need a magnifying glass to read them, 2 other maps are shown and seemingly have nothing to do with the first book. After thousands of years fighting medieval style wars, why has nobody come up with advances in science like gunpowder etc?, that fact alone I have found very annoying with this novel. I mean they can all manufacture steel and fancy swords, but have stuck with bows and arrows, maces and lance's for hundreds of generations.....

I think I will read the next book though...

If you've not seen it recently watch series one again and you'll see just how close the first book and series are.  Obviously the show aged a lot of characters up because...well yeah.

From series 2 onwards there are more divergences and omissions although still pretty faithful adaptions.

• Thanks 1

Â